View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Laney GH50L Tubes? 
is the Siren's Eye

Post Laney GH50L Tubes?
Hey guys, just bought a Laney GH50L by mail order, can`t wait till it gets here next week.

This amp can be biased to use with the 6L6 or EL34 tubes at the flick of the switch. I`m pretty sure it comes standard with the 6L6 tubes. Does anyone know which Tubes PG uses in his laney? 6L6 or EL34?

Cheers
Jordie

Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:06 pm
Motorman

I thought all Laneys came with EL34s. I would guess they are what Paul uses.

Mark

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:04 pm
is the Siren's Eye

No the Laney website has the manual for the GH50L to download, and it clearly states that it comes with the 6L6 Tubes fitted as standard, if u want to change em to EL34`s u gotta go and buy some.

Does anyone know what PG uses 6L6 or EL34?
Jordie

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:44 pm
Motorman

Paul uses 6l6. The amp will sound killer right out of the box. Don't change anything.

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

how much did you get it for? and from where?
i mean the GH50L or the GH100L not the tubes

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:06 am
Profile ICQ
is the Siren's Eye

ShredaCuda is 100% correct, I thought I`d have to change tubes to EL34`s, but u are right, Paul does use the 6L6`s. Thanks as well to Doug Stapp who was kind enough to email me on the subject.

Ibanezer, I am from the UK and since Laney is a UK company there are many mail order companies who sell their stuff. Although not many Laney dealers in the UK ever get the GH50L or GH100L in stock for people to try out in the shop!!
Anyway I bought mine from http://www.bigdiscountwarehouse.co.uk/g ... ifiers.asp
For about 368 english pounds.

Cheers
Jordie

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:02 am
Superhero

thanks Jordie. i appreciate that! :D

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:20 am
Profile ICQ
is the Siren's Eye

No problem, as an addition to this I have a few other comments.

A few other places where I found the GH50L amp were
http://www.theflyingpiguk.com
www.gak.co.uk (here they sell it for about 400 pounds but i rang them and they offered it to me for much less)

Just thought I`d mention this site as well
http://www.area51mailorder.demon.co.uk/
They actually claim to be able to sell it for 329 pounds, but BEWARE as when I emailed them the emails bounced back, and when I foned them the line was disconnected. On the homepage it says to email your credit card details and they will sort it out. But I`d never send credit card details by email, only use a secure server. So if u come across this site and think it too good to be true, then beware because its either a company that went bust a long time ago or it is a scam site trying to get u to send credit card details!!! I was lucky not to fall for it, so make sure u don`t!!!

The other 3 companies I gave u are all great and give u great advice.

I am a bit bemused as to why an amp endorsed by the great Paul Gilbert is so unavaialble in the shops. Not a single Laney dealer in the UK has one in stock for anyone to try. Yet had a fone call this morning from the mail order place saying Laney had one in stock and I`d get it on Thursday. Such a great amp as the GHL range they should really be pushing to sell, yet they seem more interested in selling their newer ranges, which is understandable to some degree, but when endorsed by the great Paul Gilbert u would have thought that they`d still send their dealers this great amp to try compete with all the other tube amps? Very strange.

Cheers
Jordie

Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]