View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 key...? 
BOFH

Post key...?
After working on my music theory (scales mainly) for almost a month now, things about what key something is played in has been cropping up... I've been working on improvisation using scales,

but how do you tell what key something is being played in...?

someting to do with a root chord or something simaler is all i've managed to dig out :?

if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated :)

Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Usually, a songs first and last note is what key it is in..

Say if the last note of a song is A.. And the piece sounds major.. (happy)... Its probably in A major.

This isn't the case for everything of course.. Just a lot of things, because it sounds resolved, and leaves you feeling fulfilled lol.

There are other ways im sure, its just the way I do it and probably others.. Just a little tip..

Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:15 pm
BOFH

I was thinking more like a set of chords...

like say it was just a simple G C and D repeated (in that order... if it matters)... what key would that be? and why? :?

Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

hmmm...

I was thinking more like a set of chords...

like say it was just a simple G C and D repeated (in that order... if it matters)... what key would that be? and why? :?

That would be key of G. In the key of G(the I chord) is major. The ii chord is minor (dm). The iii chord is also minor (em). The IV chord is major (F). The V chord is major (D). The vi chord is minor (em). The vii chord is diminished (f#dim). And of course the VIII chord is the same as the I chord.

diatonic chord progression in G major (or any major key)

I major
ii minor
iii minor
IV major
V major
vi minor
vii diminished

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:23 pm
Promises to use Search button

Post Re: key...?
dreamer wrote:
After working on my music theory (scales mainly) for almost a month now, things about what key something is played in has been cropping up... I've been working on improvisation using scales,

but how do you tell what key something is being played in...?

someting to do with a root chord or something simaler is all i've managed to dig out :?

if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated :)

Dreamer its very hard. To begin with! When the track is playing you have to play 'morse-code' bleeps chromatically on the high e string untill the pitches on the recording and your guitar sound the same. This requires lots of practice.

Sometimes an easier way is to play pentatonic licks (a very simple one) moving chromatically up the neck untill the lick sounds good over the tune you have playing on your hifi.

If this helps you - then the next step is to find out if the tune is minor or major. And the sure fire meathod is normally if its 'Happy' or 'Sad'. This is were the 'pentatonic lick' way can become a drag because you have to distinguish weather your in a major or minor pentatonic...........

I guess this is just my way of doing it though! Hope it helps!

Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:43 pm
BOFH

i'm having trouble understanding...

so let's look it fromt he other way... if i wanted to play something in the key of A (major or minor... either)... how would i go about it? :?

Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

what robert said is what you need to learn, and its to advanced just to explain it over an internet thread. I recommend taking a Music theory class or getting a teacher, theres a lot to it.

Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:04 pm
BOFH

what robert said is what you need to learn, and its to advanced just to explain it over an internet thread. I recommend taking a Music theory class or getting a teacher, theres a lot to it.

right-o... i can't afford a teacher... and I have no friends who play... so i'm continuing to learn as much as i can from anything i can... :?

Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]