View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 What pickups are in these two guitars? 
Promises to use Search button

Post What pickups are in these two guitars?
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have been searching through the old posts and haven't seen it.

On to the question.

I was wondering what pickups were in two guitars. One guitar is the white fringe one he played in the Terrifying Guitar Trip video. The other is the White PGM on the Mr. Big Live video. Both have a maple neck.

I was wondering what pickups were in each guitar, and how they were wired, series? or something else.

Just curious I'm in the market for some new pickups and I like the overall tone of the two guitars.

I might as well ask about the blue guitar in the Mr. Big video too *grin*

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:04 am
Superhero

the two guitars with maple neck that you mentioned are both PGM300. the PGM300 comes with two DiMarzio Paf Pro's (neck and bridge) and DiMarzio Jem Single in the middle. The blue PGM is the PGM100, same pickups, the Paf Pro's.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:51 am
Profile ICQ

It would appear I'm going to have a new fav pickup. I'm guessing the blue guitar had a tone zone on the video. I have an alder body strat type guitar I'm going to have to try one out in that. Thanks for the info.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:05 am
Superhero

somebody do like the TZ better. but i don't think Paul ever put a TZ in the PGM100...

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:35 am
Profile ICQ

Any clips I should check out to TZ and the Paf pro and compare the two sounds? The other guitar in the Mr. Big video, did that have the TZ in it? Now I'm curious as to how much darker, or bigger the sound is on the TZ. From checking out the Dimarzio Web site it seems it should be.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:48 am
Superhero

the TZ has more EQ, less fuzzy, and has higher output. i remember there is a video of Paul talking about the difference between the TZ and the Pro. let me see if i can find it in my computer...

Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:22 am
Profile ICQ

I have about half the video, still waiting to get the other half from kazaa.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:18 am
Superhero

sometimes it's a pain to download things off Kazaa, and winmx too
I have a record of 6 months long to download one single video :shock:
I didn't give up coz that video is a MUST. finally i got it :lol:

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Superhero

what's the file name of the video that you are downloading?

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:10 pm
Profile ICQ

Been watching the Mr. Big vid again, and again *grin* So far I like the tone of the PGM300 the best. I'm going to have to get a PAF Pro and try it out for myself. I wonder how the alder body, ebony fingerboard will change the tone, compared to the basswood, maple fingerboard.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:14 pm
Superhero

i got the whole vido :) it's 8 minutes and 13 sconds long, 13.2 MB
do you have MSN messenger? or Yahoo messenger? or ICQ?
I'll send it over to you so you don't have to wait :wink:
coz i know waiting forever to download such a great video is a pain
yer.... the Paf Pro's sound AMAZING in my PGM300, don't know if you put them in alder body and ebony board...

Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:08 pm
Profile ICQ

I just got the while thing down. It was interesting to hear what he had to say on the Paf Pro and the Tone Zone. I was hoping he would play it so I could hear the difference. He swaps out the neck pickup for the HFH instead of keeping the Paf Pro though, i would have thought he would heep the Paf Pro in. Anyone got clips of the diff pickups being played? And thanks for the offer, I would have taken you up on it too if Kazaa hadn't come through.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:16 pm
Superhero

no... he said that both pickups (neck + bridge) are Paf Pro's when he recorded the video... HFH is the neck pickup that he put in the "Gilbert Les Paul", not the orange RG. so what you hear in the video is Paf Pro's. i'm pretty sure coz it sounds like my PGM300.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:15 pm
Profile ICQ

I got that part, I ment to go with the tone zone in the other guitar he didn't have with him. I was curious why the HFH with the Tone Zone, and not a TZ/Paf Pro combo.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:21 pm
Superhero

i want to put a TZ in my RG520QS, but can't decide what to put in the neck position
the Paf Pro sounds great... wordering how the others sound (like HFH, Air Norton...)
many people say that TZ and AN is a perfect combination... wondering how it would work on Mahogany body
and how's the AN compare to the HFH?

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:49 pm
Profile ICQ

I have an air norton and a norton in my sca220, its not bad, but its still not right to my ears if you know what I mean. I'm looking for the spank that the paf pros have in the pgm300.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:56 pm
God Of The Sun

just my opinion.....to me the best combo is the tz in the bridge and the paf pro in the neck.....try out one of the older ibanez prestige(i think its the rgt3120)guitar center usually always has one hanging around...the sound is fantastic...i played it through a blue voodoo half stack...the response was awesome(btw the ibanez that i mentioned,im pretty sure that has a mahogany body with a maple top)......i just picked up an rg last week and i will be putting a tz and paf pro in it,no questions asked! 8)

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:13 am

Sounds nice, anyone have clips of them playing any of the pickups we have been talking about here?

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:43 am
God Of The Sun

Sounds nice, anyone have clips of them playing any of the pickups we have been talking about here?
the only place that i know of is the dimarzio site.

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:49 am
Superhero

download some early Mr.Big songs... Paul used Paf Pro's at that time
for the TZ, try to find the latest two albums of Paul. e.g. Burning Organ

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:53 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]