View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pickups... 
Dr. X

Post Pickups...
I may want to install new pickups into my geetar soon. I would like to know how I would be able to find out how different pickups sound in the store, so I can make an informed decision. How would this be done?

Thanks,
Ben

Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:24 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Well, I don't know about testing the kinds of pick-ups. But what you could do is find a guitar that comes with the pick-ups that you already want. Then try that guitar mainly to hear the tone of the pick-ups. If you were considering getting DiMarzio pick-ups, they've got samples of how some of them sound. Not all of them though. I'm looking to getting a PAF Pro and a Tone Zone for my JS100 ASAP. Just need some money first. :oops:

Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:51 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Pickups...
benl47 wrote:
I may want to install new pickups into my geetar soon. I would like to know how I would be able to find out how different pickups sound in the store, so I can make an informed decision. How would this be done?

Thanks,
Ben

The best way you can do this is by playing a guitar that has the brand of pickups you ant already in it and playing it through a solid state amp.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

-Chad

Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:44 am
is evil...Evil Joe

DiMarzio's rock especially the PAF pro...

Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:16 am
God Of The Sun

Um...Solid state? Um....WHY?

-Chad

Because solid state amps arent affected as much by the different woods in guitars as tube amps are. So if you want to knwo what the PICKUP sounds like and your gonna be trying different guitars then you would want an amp that would be getting all the sound from the PICKUPS instead of from the wood in the guitar.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
is the Siren's Eye

Pretty much anything by DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan is not gonna suck, just choose the amount of output (vintage, hot or raging) and EQ you want. Ive got Ducan Full Shred in mine which has pretty hot (but not Invader or Super Distortion level) output and a very crisp and crunchy sound.

Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:27 pm
Dr. X

u need 2 install a ford f150 than u can play hellavu fast and it'll be built ford tuf

Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:03 pm
Superhero

Post Re: Pickups...
benl47 wrote:

Thanks,
Ben

go to http://www.dimarzio.com/audio/audio.html

:idea:

Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

Yeah that place is great. I've been to that site. Are there any sites like it, from other companies as well?

-Ben

Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Also, thanks to everyone for their advice.

-Ben

Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I like DiMarzios Tonezone and Seymore Duncans EVH! Both really awsome! I also like EMGs, especially the 85 and the 81!

Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:54 am
God Of The Sun

You guys think a PAF Pro and Tone Zone would be a good combination for a JS100?

Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:59 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

Well, I have a Jackson Performer (Japanese, alder body, Floyd Rose, HSH pickups, bolt on) that been in the case for almost a year (broken pot :roll: ), and has been fixed just last week (new pots, pickup selector -- now a 3-way -- and setup, I plan to add some pinky F-Holes like Take did on his Ibanez [RG?] :twisted: ).
Anyways, I've already changed the bridge pickup for a DiMarzio Fred. I like it, but think that it would sound better on the neck...
I want something fatter and punchier, with a little more output for the bridge. I also want at least a decent clean.
I found a great deal on a ToneZone (found it for R$250, some stores have it for around R$350, some models go for R$380 or more :shock: ), and I wanna know if it would work good on the bridge position.
The DiMarzio website says that the ToneZone on bridge and the Fred on neck position make a great combo, but I'd like to hear opinions from ppl that actually own a ToneZone (especially if it's in a similar guitar :) ).

Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]