View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Pentatonic Scales 
Dr. X

Post Pentatonic Scales
Hey, I was at my guitar lesson today and my guitar teacher and I were trading off solo's over an E7 progression etc, and he was using pentatonic but a really WEIRD looking pentatonic shape, could you guys/someone list all 5 positions please? I need some help on it. Thanks. And I'm new to musical theory so if anyone has any pointers to reading music, improvising, blues, modes, scales, etc anything would be super appreciated. thanks

-Bryan

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:59 am
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

Th typical A minor pentatonic scale goes like this:

E-----------------------------------5--8--
B----------------------------5--8---------
G---------------------5--7----------------
D--------------5--7-----------------------
A--------5--7-----------------------------
E--5--8-----------------------------------

Then you can convert it to:

E-------------------------------------------------------10--13--
B----------------------------------------------10--13-----------
G-------------------------------------9--13---------------------
D----------------------------10--12-----------------------------
A--------------7--10--12----------------------------------------
E--5--8--10------------------------------------------------------

And so on....
Play with it.
I think that´s the trick!

Image Image

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

For E minor Pentatonic, the notes are E, G, A, B, and D. I found it helpful to draw a picture of the neck, and put dots on all these notes, from open position to 12th fret. From this, you can see the scale in all positions, and easily see how the positions interrelate.

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:36 am
Dr. X

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:13 am
Profile YIM
IP Banned

learning the pentatonic scale all over the neck is crucial. you can get two common soloing scales out of the same shapes too (major and minor pentatonic)! i suggest picking up a book on how to play blues. it will diagram out all 5 pentatonic boxes. learn them all! dont forget to learn where the root note is in each one too!

once you feel like you know these resonably well, try breaking out of the rut of playing them as boxes by playing the pentatonic scale up the neck along two strings. i learned this from an article in total guitar i think called 'pentatonic ladders.' i'll try to scan it when i get a chance.

the trick is to play these shapes and patterns so much that you know what the note you're about to play is going to sound like before you play it. interval training can help with this too. the best way i feel to commit these shapes to memory is by jamming to blues songs- ask your teacher about 12-bar blues. by jamming to cds you can learn a lot of songs because you notice that a lot of the time they are using the pentatonic scale too! IMO jamming with other people is the quickest way to know which areas of your playing need the most work. good luck! 8)

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:40 am
BOFH

fyi there is an instructional video with some penatonic licks on it... there is a clip of that section available over a lot of the p2p networks called something like "Paul Gilbert Teaching 4.mpg"

all I can say is... "Penatonic licks! More penatonic licks!" :lol:

Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Um... is it cool here to suggest using P2P networks to get PG stuff? He isn't getting anything from you downloading from Kazaa...
The least you can do is give the guy some financial appreciation for making the music that you love.

Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:56 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

When playing over an E7 (or any 7 progression) in pentatonic it often sounds good to insert.... the 7th... surprise surprise. That way you highlight the chord more predominantly and it makes the changes stand out more. You would add the D# to the standard Eminor pentatonic scale. This also gives you a nice 3 note chromatic run with D D# E right below the A A# B (which is the classic Blues sharp 4th tension). Hey you can even toss in the Maj7 arpeggio and make it sound bluesy if used right. Just listen to Jason Becker in 11 Blue Egyptians and everything should come clear. If his fingering and position looked strang he very well could have been utilizing the 7th.

Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:51 pm
BOFH

Um... is it cool here to suggest using P2P networks to get PG stuff? He isn't getting anything from you downloading from Kazaa...
The least you can do is give the guy some financial appreciation for making the music that you love.

indeed. there are legal loop holes that alow you to download very short clips of videos. just as you can get very short clips of songs from amazon. also, if the files are deleted after they have been watched. the video is also only available in ntsc format and in america... me being in the UK and having a PAL (phased alternate line) only vcr, I wouldn't be able to watch it, even if i could get hold of it :roll: it's also no more wrong than the paul gilber 2shredding" video clip posted in another thread on this board.

on a side note, I have bought as many racer x and PG albums as I could get my hands on, they are all I can find available, I just couldn't get anything else... I did TRY to do my bit :(

Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]