View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 3 Note per string triplets 
Promises to use Search button

Post 3 Note per string triplets
So I am having issues with getting a good triplet sound with my practice. When practicing 3 note per string scales and I start getting up around 100 bpm, my notes start to sound less triplet sounding. Like all 3 notes are of equal distance in time between the metronome beat. but when I listen to songs like Colorado Bulldog, the 3 note per string beginning or even the run before the 1st verse sounds very triplet sounding and when I do it, it does not have that same sound. Does that make sense? Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to get the triplet sound in the run more like PG?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:27 am
Superhero

Post Re: 3 Note per string triplets
I guess what you need to practice is differentiation between triplets and 8ths / 16 ths

The easiest exercise would be to just play 2 notes on every beat, in a steady tempo. Then you will get your standard 8ths. And the next step is to squeeze the two notes together and put in a 3rd note in there. By all means, they are still supposed to be "equal". Same as before, if you were playing two notes per beat steadily, now you are playing 3 notes per beat and it gives you a completely different feel, you will know when you do it right.

Before even starting playing, cou can also try different counting methods to have 3 notes on every beat.

And what you are saying about the "triplet" feel in the Colorado Bulldog it might be that you are referring to the fact that Paul uses legato for three notes and then picks 3 notes in a sextuplet. So that gives you this sort of feeling of "sliding" across the 1st 3 notes and then accentuating the next 3 notes. It doesn't really have all that much to do with them being triplets, as much as with the technique used to get that sound.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: 3 Note per string triplets
_NowakP wrote:
And what you are saying about the "triplet" feel in the Colorado Bulldog it might be that you are referring to the fact that Paul uses legato for three notes and then picks 3 notes in a sextuplet. So that gives you this sort of feeling of "sliding" across the 1st 3 notes and then accentuating the next 3 notes. It doesn't really have all that much to do with them being triplets, as much as with the technique used to get that sound.

This exactly. Pick the first note, hammer on the next two. Then pick the next 3 notes.

Pick-Hammer-Hammer | Pick-Pick-Pick

Try doing those 3 note per string runs using Paul's technique.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]