View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 speed training 
BOFH

Post speed training
In my quest for stupidly fast guitar players who have style, I found paul gilbert from searching for "guitar solo" videos on the net. I found an mpeg of the begging of "paul gilbert's terrifying guitar trip" and fell in love with the song he plays in it and needed to know what it was... after a few hours of searching for reviews of the video I found that it opens with "an early version of racer x's technical difficulties" I found the band, and went out and bought some cd's :) and found the racer x site (and this forum too :P )

I have to say, I am inspired, and although i've only been playing guitar a little less than half a year I've been trying to develope my speed. I'm self tought, so I'm not to sure what the best things are for building my speed up for that paul gilbert-ish feel. I've been playing major scales in every moment I get bored for only a few days now and i'm getting faster already.

Does anyone have any good riffs that are easy to play but are good for "speed training"?
anything would be helpfull, even if it's no more interesting than basic arpeggio paterns and scales :)

I've signed up to guitarist forums before... but not many of them have heard of racer x (why?! crazy people! they call themselves guitarists?! hehe :P ) so not many get what sorta thing i'm trying to achive... don't get me wrong, i'm not some crazy kid who thinks that someone will give him one piece of info and he'll be able to play like one of the greats... I know I have years of practice and hard work ahead of me before I can get anywhere neer the speed of mr gilbert :P

anyway, I'll stop rambling... tips for building up my speed anyone? :roll:

Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

welcome to the board dude, take a look in this thread: http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1833
:D

Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

what's up man, my advice to you is get alternate picking down on those 3 note per string patters, man those are killing me now! cause I used to pick where it looked like i was doing a mini-sweep, each string i'd start down again just out of habit, then my guitar teacher told me and I finally am where I'm up to speed with my alt. picking, and I can do it flawlessly cause of soooo much practice, well not flawlessly but i'm good at it now. And do pauls 3 note per string excercise, really simple

D---------8-------
A-8-9-11--11-9-8
n ^ n ^ n ^ n

n = down ^ = up :P and do it slow, and also another thing paul says is do it clean, and paul mute it real quiet and hit the strings real light then hit them not harder but with more of the pick, then start to un-palm mute them but with some sort of rhythm then go back to quiet, it's an amazing effect and once you get that down to some sort of metronome tempo say 80. Then flip on the distortion :P or not. later man! if you want any more excercises i've got billions. email me, [email protected].

-Bryan

Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:03 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

If you wanna sound like Paul, you gotta be more than just fast. He is very aggressive, just listen to his SOD II solo, his attack is a very big part of the "Gilbert sound". But in an instant, he can switch moods, and turn his aggressive picking off to lightly brush the strings with his pick.

Oh yeah, his vibrato is also really crazy. Thats another thing that makes his playing.

Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:29 am
BOFH

I'll be sure to have a read through that thread, FMK....

Speed is something I have decided I need to work on, so that's what I'm going to do, disiplined... I havn't lost sight of the fact that I need more than just speed, however. which i'm glad about... I play for fun, but it's nice to be able to sit and play what I would usualy listen to.

I'm glad I found this place really, seen as I have no guitar teacher (poor :P ) and there are just the odd few things that I think I could be doing wrong.

Thanks guys :)

Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

welcome to the board dude, take a look in this thread: http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1833
:D

That´s an awesome thread... 8)

Image Image

Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

yeah, lots of great players discussing exercises and past experiences, an awesome thread indeed.

I understand what ur sayn dreamer, I´m focusing in the development of speed at the moment too.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:32 am
Profile ICQ
is the Siren's Eye

http://www.guitar.com/cda/ColumnCorner/ ... 4800000000

I hope that the link works :wink:

Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:06 am
Profile ICQ
Godzilla

I had a look at that exercise and it makes me wonder how you're supposed to do certain alt pick licks.

|-1-2--2-
|-----1--

Would you down pick the 1 then sweep to the B, or alt pick the first two notes then sweep from B to e? Is the trick in skipping the string as fast as you can? I just wondered because I can't make these kinda licks flow well, so I'd like to know what I should be trying to do.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:12 pm
Profile YIM
is the Siren's Eye

I had a look at that exercise and it makes me wonder how you're supposed to do certain alt pick licks.

|-1-2--2-
|-----1--

Would you down pick the 1 then sweep to the B, or alt pick the first two notes then sweep from B to e? Is the trick in skipping the string as fast as you can? I just wondered because I can't make these kinda licks flow well, so I'd like to know what I should be trying to do.

I use strict alternate picking for this lick beginning with a downstroke and it works great 8)

Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]