View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Disappointed with the Suhr SSH+ 
Motorman

Post Disappointed with the Suhr SSH+
After buying and trying a fair number of guitars I began a quest a little while ago to take my favorite guitar and find a better higher quality version of it, and if I could refine the tone just slightly in the process, so much the better.

In spite of it's cheap price, my favorite axe was a simple fixed bridge mahogany guitar with a bolt on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. As far as electronics goes it has 2 humbucking pickups that I would describe as hot, snarly, and bite-ey. One volume control, one tone control, and a 5-way switch, 500k pots.

I wanted a guitar that played better and was was more aesthetically pleasing, and if I could choose one thing about the sound to slightly change, I thought it would be nice if it were just a little clearer.

I bought a guitar that has a mahogany body, maple top, maple set neck, rosewood fingerboard, and fixed bridge. This guitar is HH as well and has 2 volume controls (one for the neck, one for the bridge), a tone control with push-pull coil tap (splits both the neck and bridge humbuckers), and a 3-way switch, pots are 500k. The pickups it came with were very dull sounding to me so I searched for what I thought would give the closest sound to what I wanted.

Based on the descriptions for the pickup and some of my favorite player's tones (Govan's mahogany modern) I settled on the Suhr SSH+ for the bridge and SSV for the neck and had them professionally installed. I was excited to take the guitar home and see what I could get out of it, but I was almost instantly disappointed with the results.

The SSH+ in particular didn't sound snarly at all, clearer than the old pickups but nowhere as clear or bite-ey as the pickups in my old cheap guitar, and had a somewhat rubbery thuddy response to picking, and wasn't quite as hot as I was hoping for either, though that's hardly my main beef with it. I played with pickup height for a bit but couldn't do anything to make it sound any better.

From everything I've read this shouldn't be what this pickup sounds like. I've read people complaining that this pickup is TOO bright if anything. Is it possible it was installed incorrectly? Does anyone have an SSH+ who can use a frequency analyzer and show me what their freq. response is supposed to look like? I really thought I was going to like this pickup but now I'm having some very serious buyer's remorse.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:26 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: Disappointed with the Suhr SSH+
Can't really help you with this... sorry.

But it's funny how you went all the way through to buy a high end guitar, that didn't please you as much as your old Ibanez.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

parlance wrote:

I bought a guitar that has a mahogany body, maple top, maple set neck, rosewood fingerboard, and fixed bridge. This guitar is HH as well and has 2 volume controls (one for the neck, one for the bridge), a tone control with push-pull coil tap (splits both the neck and bridge humbuckers), and a 3-way switch, pots are 500k. The pickups it came with were very dull sounding to me so I searched for what I thought would give the closest sound to what I wanted.

That might be your problem. With set neck guitars, the neck is pretty much your "tone wood", since the bridge sits on top of it, as do the pickups. So you'd be primarily hearing the maple instead of the mahogany. The pickups might not work well with this configuration...Guthrie primarily uses bolt ons I believe so you're always hearing the mahogany on his guitars. You might want to take these pickups and put them in your guitar with the Bolt on neck instead to give that a shot.

That could be the issue or, the pickups are installed incorrectly. I'd resolder myself to double check, and just switch around the "red" and "green" wires (in dimarzio anyway, not sure what it is on suhr, but should be pretty standard). They might have been soldered the opposite of what they're suppoesd to be. Though I think you would have heard that right away, as a really weird phase problem.

Also, with raising the pickup height, if you raise the entire pickup you get more gain and a larger bass response. If you raise the poles, then you get more highs. Try messing with those though I doubt that it'll make too much of a difference.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:56 pm
God Of The Sun

There's a difference between a set neck and a neck through - the set neck is set into the body some way, but it's not like a neck through which essentially has wings attached the the neck extension to make the body. If it's a traditional set neck construction the bridge pickup should still be mounted on the mahogany.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Ah yeah, you're right for some reason I got it mixed up.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]