View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Ibanez INF4, Looking for a DiMarzio sound-alike 
Motorman

Post Ibanez INF4, Looking for a DiMarzio sound-alike
So here's the deal: After buying and playing a number of guitars, I keep coming back to my RG321MH. It's simply the best sounding guitar I own, beating out much more expensive guitars with aftermarket pickups. I envision my perfect guitar as sounding almost exactly like the RG321MH but maybe looking a little cooler looking and more polished construction.

I set out to buy that guitar and bought the closest thing I could find construction-wise that ticked off all the boxes I wanted for aesthetics, the problem is the pickups it came with are awful. Very dull sounding and not quite hot enough for my taste. Another problem is that you can't actually buy INF3/4s, and even if I could I really really want zebra style pickups for the look of the guitar. There must be something out there that DiMarzio or somebody else makes that is close. I've heard people say the Tone Zone is close, or the Super Distortion is close, but it'd be really nice to quantify it.

This is a graph of the frequency RMS of each guitar playing a big A chord with a resolution of 10 hz. Waves has a plugin that can fairly easily do this and it seems pretty accurate, it confirmed my suspicions with a pretty damning graph that shows the terrible HB-102B nose-diving into the ground shortly after 4000hz.

If anyone out there has any suggestions, and even better, could back them up by doing the same kind of test, or if people just want to contribute their own graphs using the plugin as a point of reference that would be super appreciated. The plugin in question is the Waves PAZ Analyzer set to RMS mode with the resolution set to 10hz.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]