View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Howe, Chambers, Hamm - Bird's Eye View 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Howe, Chambers, Hamm - Bird's Eye View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0db8q70Dug

Definitely not his best playing but something new to listen to! Can't believe his new album will have vocals. Wish he'd write another Extraction type album.

Also, have you seen his new guitar? That headstock is screaming bloody murder :cry:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:35 pm
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Howe, Chambers, Hamm - Bird's Eye View
Greg "the endorsement whore" Howe has ANOTHER guitar?!?!?!

STOP THE PRESS!!!

I see he's also just gone from Ax FF to DV amps..... *facepalm*

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I don't blame him or any other musician to be "endorsement whores" ... He doesn't seem to get a solid gig like PG, Stach or Vai, so endorsement is some extra income for him.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

The body is the same as the Laguna so maybe it's just a headstock redesign? I kinda thought he jumped from one endorsement to the other (ESP, Ernie Ball, Peavey, Fender, Suhr, then finally Laguna) but that was before. He also changes amps every so often but I think he never really endorsed any of them (I know he used Cornford and Axe-FX but mostly uses Marshall when touring). Anyway, he still sounds the same.

Also don't know what happened to his online lessons site.

Edit: makes you wonder why he didn't just stick with ESP and Marshall. Wonder why he didn't try Xotic?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:12 pm
Viking Kong

Cool. I wish Greg would work on his technique again. His phrasing (when he plays slower) is already top notch! Sometimes I wish he'd just stop trying to cater to his shred fan base, though I know that's a huge percentage of his listeners. His phrasing is already pretty damned unique.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am
Godzilla

To be honest, if he wasn't such a great composer, I would be bored of his playing already. His phrasing or ideas have not developed much after Extraction. Extraction was really his peak in terms of ideas. Paul continues to stretch himself in everything that he does while I feel like Howe is just coasting. Granted that he worked his ass off to get to where he is today but I hope that he is only taking a rest or that he is working on something insane to blow us all away. Essentially he still sounds like a 70's holdsworth clone with a little funk. I hope I am not being harsh but at this point, when you compare Holdworth's work in the 70s to Howe's work, Holdworth has more originality and depth. I will never be able to play like Howe, and I idolized his phrasing and technique, but he's getting a bit stale.

http://www.soundclick.com/fatigueofheart/

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 am
Godzilla

Be happy that he didn't go with the Paradise GH model. That thing looked horrible. I still drool over his ESPs! Those things had tone!

Pao wrote:
The body is the same as the Laguna so maybe it's just a headstock redesign? I kinda thought he jumped from one endorsement to the other (ESP, Ernie Ball, Peavey, Fender, Suhr, then finally Laguna) but that was before. He also changes amps every so often but I think he never really endorsed any of them (I know he used Cornford and Axe-FX but mostly uses Marshall when touring). Anyway, he still sounds the same.

Also don't know what happened to his online lessons site.

Edit: makes you wonder why he didn't just stick with ESP and Marshall. Wonder why he didn't try Xotic?

http://www.soundclick.com/fatigueofheart/

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:06 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

fatigueofheart wrote:
To be honest, if he wasn't such a great composer, I would be bored of his playing already.

Yeah he's written super amazing stuff. I really like his super duper groovy rhythmic songs (Side Note from his latest album was amazing, Crack It Way Open is fucking brilliant as well). I like all the songs from Extraction. I really wish he'd create another one like it. Also, I agree. The ESPs were SCHMEXY, in tone and in looks. I swear I want a replica. Either the blue one or the red one, but I'm okay with the green and purple too. The look so great.

Brian - I don't know who likes listening to Howe cause he's not really a "shredder" ala-Paul so I thought his fans were more on the fusion oriented stuff. I do agree that his slower phrasing is amazing. His technique is going down though but I think he just has waaayyy more bad days than everyone. The Tetsuo Sakurai DVD was pretty bad in comparison to some of his other live playing.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 am
Viking Kong

In terms of technique, I think all the famous 80's shredders have gone down.

Look at Paul Gilbert or Richie Kotzen. The music they play now is different (specially for Kotzen), and their technique is not the same anymore.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:59 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder what happened?

Quote:
HB: You were endorsed with the world famous ESP guitars and you recently shifted to the relatively unknown Laguna guitars? Why?
GH: Um, yeah there are some reasons that happened that I shouldn’t discuss publically but yeah, ESP is a great company, they’re still a great company. The people I was dealing with directly are still friends of mine. The issues that came up are issues that are best left not brought up to the public. It was nothing really bad, but, just…

HB: So why Laguna? Why not Fender or Gibson or any other guitar manufacturer?

GH: Ah, Laguna. They’re also a very good brand. Well, I’d got to a point where I thought to myself, “I’ve had some bad experiences.” Now here’s the problem with endorsement deals. A lot of people want endorsements, because they want free gear. That’s it. My thing with an endorsement deal is, I really just want to have a relationship that is mutually beneficial; I’m helping them, they’re happy about me and my artistry, they’re helping me by providing gear. It’s important that we have a dialogue going; discuss game plans etc. That’s the kind of relationship I want. And the truth of the matter is, any company out there can make a nice guitar, a beautiful guitar. So then it comes down to your preferences, and relationships. If you’ve got a company that’s a bunch of nice guys but their product isn’t cool, that’s not going to work and vice versa. There has to be a balance between the product that I like and people I like working with. And I can settle for a compromise; a product that’s not particularly great but works for me, and people I like to have a relationship with. The thing with Laguna is, they actually approached me. I’d decided that I’m going to go back to what I used to do; assembling my own guitars. I’m not going to deal with this any more. Sometimes, there’s just too much political stuff. They (Laguna) approached me with a guitar that I wasn’t particularly crazy about. I told them, “Thank you very much. It’s a nice guitar but not what I’m looking for.” So then, I didn’t hear from there for almost a year. Then, they came back and said, “We’d really like you to come on board with us.” So I told them that I’d tried out their guitar, it just wasn’t my thing, and then they asked what it would take for me to use their guitar. So I just started naming them. “I need this, I need that, I need this…” and they said cool. So they basically let me design my own guitar. That was great, and they’ve been great.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 pm
Viking Kong

Guys like Greg Howe and Guthrie Govan are the "entry drug" into jazz fusion for most shredders, because of the fact that their music is easy to listen to and aren't as hardcore as say...Tim Miller or something. He's pretty known for "shredding" imo. I mean, his "Sunny" video has over a million views...Most "real" fusion/jazz purists I know are not really into that style of playing. I'm guessing most of the views are from people who listen to Paul Gilbert/Kotzen/Guthrie/Quayle/Andy Woods. I'd love it if Greg would go less shreddy and be more compositional/phrasing based, though he does make awesome songs already. Guys like Scofield and Henderson hardly ever do anything faster than 16th notes most of the time, and they sound really awesome already. Greg doesn't have to go fast, especially since he can be as interesting as the above mentioned guitar players when he wants to be.

As far as his technique...80's shredders have changed styles and stuff, but Paul and Kotzen are still clean as hell when they want to be and still be can absolutely scary. I'm just saying that Howe could be cleaner, and sometimes seems to noodle a lot to cater towards his larger shred based fans. The fact that he struggles to play fast passages sometimes makes me wish he just didn't do it.

And I wouldn't say Greg Howe sounds like Holdsworth at all! I think he sounds more like a shreddy Scofield tbh. The funk and min7b5 and min6th arps aren't really Holdsworth's thing.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 pm
Viking Kong

So... a little offtopic here, but can Steve Morse's music be considered fusion?

I mean, he doesn't sound anything like Guthrie or Scofield, but he sounds nothing like Gilbert, Kotzen or Stach... I guess his country influences made him a little bit more distinct than these other players?

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Well, when I think fusion I think music that evolved from Miles Davis's Bitches Brew album. Kind of that Funk/Rock/Jazz feel with crazy harmonies. Depending on what songs you're talking about I think Steve Morse can be considered fusion, but it's sort of a stretch considering the original meaning and premise of the music. I think Steve Morse's music is really amazing, but definitely not really "Jazz fusion" in the traditional sense. Though...if you take fusion in a broader sense to mean styles that are mixed together, then yes! I would say Steve Morse is fusion.

I would say, Larry Carlton, Scofield, Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Robben Ford (in the yellowjackets/LA express and his first album), are some prime examples of what "jazz fusion" guitar players are (imo, they came from the 70's and were the guys of the movement). Kind of the real blues or rock player that incorporated jazz lines and funk into their music. Of course there always is a huge emphasis on experimental sounds/rhythms/harmonies. Then things evolved from there, and people have been pushing the bounderies of the style since, but I still think the foundations always go back to jazz/rock/funk.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:09 am
Viking Kong

Cool. That's what I was thinking about. You can't hear on Steve's style all that jazz/funk... It's like he traded those for country and classical.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:06 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I always thought fusion was jazz + anything

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 pm
Search Button God!

Pao wrote:
I always thought fusion was jazz + anything

Fusion is anything + something else ;)

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm
Viking Kong

Most people would consider two Hydrogen atoms combining to form Helium to be Fusion.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:48 pm
Search Button God!

Zae wrote:
Most people would consider two Hydrogen atoms combining to form Helium to be Fusion.

yeah but if you combine shred with shred you'll get Michael Angelo Batio and that's not Fusion... that's awful.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:44 pm
Viking Kong

Yeah. But this is FUSION as well.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Well yeah I know fusion is something + something but I've never heard the term used with other genres is why

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next