View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 really badass studio headphones? 
Motorman

Post really badass studio headphones?
Does anyone here know of any really good headphones for tracking/recording? Don't worry about budget, just trying to explore options and gather research first. I just want great headphones and isolation that are durable (a huge factor, cuz I hate little speaker cone tears because I accidently set the volumeto be realy high on my comp by accident...surely there's gotta be headphones with speakers that can handle really loud shit?). Any ideas? Thank you!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:22 am
Dr. X

Post Re: really badass studio headphones?
Beats.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:56 am
Motorman

Shure SRH840 are great headphones. I believe that Beyer DT770s are used quite a lot too.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 am
Motorman

I've enjoyed my Sony MDR-V600s for a few years now, but I don't think they make them anymore. Really even and honest frequency response, comfortable, beefy, durable; basically everything you'd want in studio monitor headphones.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 am
God Of The Sun

Are you Evil? JOEEE wrote:
Beats.

hahahaha

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Beats sound really good and handle volume well but do NOT cancel out external noise very well....

The best IMO for the $$$ are Bose...

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

8)

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:49 pm
God Of The Sun

beats colour the sound too much - they're made for a market that's only interested in bass. Great for listening, but not honest enough for mixing.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

meticadpa wrote:
Shure SRH840 are great headphones.

This. I have the SRH440's and they're awesome.

LOL @ Beats.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 pm
Motorman

Awesome guys, I'll def. check out those Shures.

BTW, why is Beats so funny? I don't get it haha

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 pm
Dr. X

I meant Beats in jest hahaha. I'm glad someone caught on to it.
Misstreater is right, Beats are just a marketing ploy for incredibly overpriced headphones that supposedly offer the greatest sound quality in the universe for a whopping 300$.
They are pretty good, I'll say that much, but they are directed towards a market that is only interested in bass bumping Rap music. 300$ is a ridiculous price for these things and I'd much sooner put the money towards a new iPod or something rather than friggin' headphones. My recommendation is Bose; I've been in the studio alot lately and this is the brand they go with. I can't remember the exact make and model, but I'll be sure to ask and get back with you.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 pm
Motorman

Thank you! Please do!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 pm
Motorman

I meant Beats in jest hahaha. I'm glad someone caught on to it.
Misstreater is right, Beats are just a marketing ploy for incredibly overpriced headphones that supposedly offer the greatest sound quality in the universe for a whopping 300$.
They are pretty good, I'll say that much, but they are directed towards a market that is only interested in bass bumping Rap music. 300$ is a ridiculous price for these things and I'd much sooner put the money towards a new iPod or something rather than friggin' headphones. My recommendation is Bose; I've been in the studio alot lately and this is the brand they go with. I can't remember the exact make and model, but I'll be sure to ask and get back with you.

Good! I was going to say something, but I decided to just leave it out (wasn't sure I could word it without being an ass - was in a bit of a bad mood). I've listened to them and they're OK. Nothing more, nothing less. I've got headphones that cost a fifth of the price that are far better.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:58 pm
God Of The Sun

I'd love a pair - but ultimately, theyre a status thing, just like Skull Candy.

best you can buy are the Beyerdynamic ones - the DT-770 or the 880 pro's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT ... 479&sr=8-1

not tried the 990's, i'm sure theyre great

Expensive, sure. I'm currently using some Sennheisers

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

could buy Ultrasone's if you have disposable income....

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Sony MDR-7509 here. Could be a bit more comfortable for multi-hour use, but sounds awesome and can be seen in studio footage of all sorts of bands for whom money is no object.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:07 pm
Godzilla

Sennheiser HD25sare awesome. They provide excellent background noise attenuation and sound fantastic. I use AKG K242HDs because I don´t really need the noise attenuation features and they fit my head better, if you´re a guitar player you´ll be happy with them too. :)

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Booligan, those Sennheiser HD25s look sweet. I really need good isolation because I record my drummer and I'm in the same room as him and its really hurting my ears after 5-6 takes. So these look promising.

However I also need to use them for tracking, listening back, and mixing. Now I usually don't trust headphones in general for mixing and I have studio monitors to help me with that BUT I want to be able to have headphones that are very honest just in case the monitors are not available to me for some reason.

Do these Senns fit the bill?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:53 pm
Godzilla

They are designed to suit studio professionals needs, so they sound very natural without really boosting any frequencies. You can use them for mixing, no problem. It´s an honest pair of headphones. :)

I´ve seen drummers use them as ear-monitors as well, they should attenuate those cymbals etc well enough to prevent your ears from bleeding!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question about badass headphones for out of studio use, casual studying or traveling headphones that get rid of a lot of external noise and give a lot of integrity towards the music. I'll probably be listening to a lot of rock/jazz/fusion/acoustic so I'd like headphones that can cut into those EQs pretty well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sun May 06, 2012 5:13 pm
Motorman

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question about badass headphones for out of studio use, casual studying or traveling headphones that get rid of a lot of external noise and give a lot of integrity towards the music. I'll probably be listening to a lot of rock/jazz/fusion/acoustic so I'd like headphones that can cut into those EQs pretty well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

beats.

Sun May 06, 2012 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next