View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Tune writing process 
Viking Kong

Post Tune writing process
I just want to hear what you guys do in the process of writing music.I usually get an idea and try to build around it. It's not always successful.

What do you guys do? Share and comment :)

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 pm
Motorman

Post Re: Tune writing process
Varies everytime, although I have found two things that work for me. Firstly if I get a good song idea and I'm in the mood, even if it's 2:30am I'll stay up and finish it. I may change a lot later, but usually it's pretty impossible to get back into that same headspace again. Get it all out and then you can rest. Secondly I try to forget everything I know. I think everyone writes best when they follow their ears are their heart. I think if you write to please others or to fit strict molds you're only selling yourself short. Write what comes out of you and what you think is best, not what you think others will think is best.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:46 pm
Motorman

1.) Play a riff, think it's awesome
2.) Play around with it a bit, see if I can change it up to make it better
3.) Think I'm awesome
4.) Listen to music a few weeks later and realise I've simply stolen another person's riff

Then back to step 1.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 am
Viking Kong

If I'm lucky, sometimes I'll have a small recorder on me. If it's a phrase or riff that I like, I'll hum it in the recorder, even if I'm at work. I get depressed when I think of all the times I had a cool song in my mind that went forgotten!
Anyway, I'll try to have several of these collected. They don't necessarily have to be related. I can adjust for key change, or tempo change as I go along. Small 1 or 2 measure transitions are easy for me to think of on the moment, so I try to concentrate on the main "hooks".
After enough are collected, I go to work!
I may have a few ideas everyday, or I'll go for weeks without.

If the idea sounds like another song already, switch it SO MUCH that it's no longer recognizable. If this can't be done, scrap the idea altogether!
Originality is paramount! This is the most important thing to consider!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 am
Viking Kong

I never wrote anything I'm truly proud of.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile YIM
Search Button God!

Sir Robin wrote:

It's called the Anti-Yngwie Syndrome.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:55 pm
Motorman

Lamer wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

:D

I hate myself for really liking Rising Force.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm
Motorman

Lamer wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

Haha, gold!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 pm
Superhero

I practice the usual boring alternate picking runs mixed with jazz rhythms I'm required to play. When I get really bored after a coople of hours I come up with a random riff. If it's good enough, I write it down in GP immediately because I can never remember my lines (:lol:).

Then I build around it, and try many variations of the same thing. By the time I'm done with a song I have about 10-20 riffs at the end of the tab that "didn't make it" into the song, I could possibly use in something else.

If I can't add anything useful I think of a song that has "that awesome section that would fit in perfectly here". I listen to it, get it down by ear after 2-3 tries (so it's not exactly like in the original song, my hearing is a bit shit you see :D ). Then I change the section I just stole even more so it's unrecognizable but still has what I liked about it (be it rhythm, chord change, a bit of melody or whatever).

Some times after a couple of weeks I come back to the song and think that it doesn't really work so I delete all the redundant parts and come up with new ones which tend to be final :P (it's good to let your brain subconsciously work the stuff out for you for a while).

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

So you guys basically just rip off other artists...

CooL! :chew:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Heh. I usually believe that if I can't remember something I thought of, it wasn't worth remembering, and thus wouldn't be worth keeping.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 pm
Superhero

Sir Robin wrote:
So you guys basically just rip off other artists...

CooL! :chew:

It's kind of like with the movie industry. Each movie has basically the same premise but it shows it a bit differently. You could say it's like dressing a mannequin. It's always the same body even though it might be slim or fat, in the end it's basically the same thing. It's just what's on top that changes.

Anyways, it's a little bit like that with music although just when I think I've heard it all, some new absolutely atrocious and ridiculous genre pops up. And if someone has done something well in the past, why not base off of it (this doesn't mean copy mind you :P )? I mean, it's not like anyone, ever has done it. Ever.

You can use as much classical music as you want in your songs, it's not copyrighted, there's an idea :P

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I already gave you an idea how I write songs before on Skype but that was just one way. Before, it was mostly combining riffs that sounded good and were in the same tempo. Some riffs sound really good slow and some fast, and it really depends which fit with others. Could be on the same key, since some riffs are easier to play in the common keys (Em, Bm etc) in comparison to odd ones (Gm, Bbm). Also has something to do with being diatonic to each other.

But that was BEFORE.

I've written a lot of stuff this past year and all of them surprised me. Some I imagined COMPLETELY out of the blue, lead/rhythm/drums and all. Made a draft and now I'm building the rest of it. One other song, I came up with while driving and recorded it to my phone by singing and it turned out really great (it was a simple groovy lick, the rhythm was more important than the notes which benefited me since I can't sing very well :P)

I don't think I've ever completely ripped off an artist. There's this saying that if you get from one person it's stealing, but if you get from a lot of people it's research? Or something haha. I mean, I acknowledge the influence other artists have done to me. But in all honesty, I never had the time to figure out what in the world they're playing. I kinda think some of my playing is attributed to Greg Howe just because I'm playing a Laguna but I mean I don't even know what in the hell he's playing. Other than the slide vibrato (also a visual thing) and legato, I think I don't sound ANYTHING like him. I think I managed to get the essence of my favorite guitar players but I don't think I could ever sound like them. It's safe to say I was influenced, but most of what I create came from my brain completely?

It's odd, though. I wrote a song 2 years ago and it came out of the blue. A couple of guys said it sounded a bit like post-rock because of the cleans, echoes, and fancy drumming. I didn't even know what the hell post-rock was. I initially wanted it to sound like an experimental, metal drums and ambient clean guitars with panning distorted leads blah blah. It just proved to me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem really works in a way. It's almost impossible to CREATE something new because a lot of people out there have probably done it before us. Especially now, that all of music is properly documented.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]