View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 What do you do when... 
Viking Kong

Post What do you do when...
Strings start feeling too light? I mean the first train of thought is usually get a heavier gauge of strings, but I'm not sure how good an idea that would be at this time. I'm already playing on twelves, doesn't exactly feel reasonable to be playing thirteens on an electric.

Does anyone else have this issue, or am I just crazy? At any rate, advice at all is appreciated.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: What do you do when...
Play like Yngwie...?

Surely this is a good thing. I'm not sure if it would bug me, per se. It would just allow me to play more fluently really...

Do you really mean "too light"?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 am
Viking Kong

The strings don't feel like they're resisting what I'm doing enough, I'm used to there being more force required to bend or hammer on and the strings don't seem to be offering that. I'm starting to play with faster vibrato than intended, accidentally hammering on, things of that nature. It's tripping me up a bit, but I guess that's just a matter of adjusting to it.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 am
Viking Kong

Zesty wrote:
Does anyone else have this issue, or am I just crazy? At any rate, advice at all is appreciated.

You're crazy.
You guys are easy for me to spot, because I am too.
:D

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:49 am
Motorman

Try a longer scale length guitar maybe?
If you're already playing a 25.5 I dunno where to go from there, maybe a baritone?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 am
Search Button God!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik can you do the bend at 0:51 with your middle finger?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am
Viking Kong

Switch to bass guitar! :lol:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Lamer wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik can you do the bend at 0:51 with your middle finger?

Lamer makes the best point

I would say with some degree of confidence that you're just looking for an excuse. You're playing with "faster vibrato than intended"? Then slow down. Develop more control. Your strings are supposed to do what you want them to do, not what they allow you to do.

You also have to take tone into the equation. Sure, thicker strings give you "better" tone - but it moves out of the intended style very quickly. For example - Van Halen plays 9s, I play 10s, you CANNOT sound like van halen on 10s.

I can bend the b string from 12 up to 17 with my third finger, From 12 to 16 with my 2nd finger, and from 12 to 15 with my first finger.

I can play 12, up to 13, up to 14, up to 15, up to 16, down to 15, down to 14, down to 13, back to 12.

Dont you think all of those things would be better that going up to 13s?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I always had a hard time bending. It was why I was so "in-tune" with the whole slide vibrato thing. It was an easy solution to something that I've had for ages. I kinda developed bending anyway (though I obviously still kinda suck at it). And it's also why my vibrato isn't the best.

Anyway, back then I had this feeling too (when I was just starting out guitar). It wasn't about bending, though. I just felt that my pick wasn't "getting past" the strings fast enough cause they were too flimsy. Just sharing.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Viking Kong

anything beyond 12's will hardly make a difference in tone or playing in my opinion.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:35 pm
Viking Kong

Very good points, pretty much what I was thinking I guess. The plan has always been slow down and work on it, those slip ups are always just unsettling.

Thank you for everyone's input.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]