View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Considering a Suhr, advice? 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Considering a Suhr, advice?
I was wondering about that as well.

I mean, if the guitars are that good, then every guitar player who could afford one would get one, right?

Now you see guys like Paul GIlbert, Marty Friedman, Jimmy Page.... All using regular brands guitars.

I think those boutique guitars might be good, but you dont need one even if you're a professional.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Sir Robin wrote:

Now you see guys like Paul GIlbert, Marty Friedman, Jimmy Page.... All using regular brands guitars.

sure - and the fact that these guys are PAID to play what they play dont come into it? Or that they get more free guitars and promo than you can shake a stick at? Guys like Govan and Henderson play Suhr because they choose to, Suhr will never put big money into promo for these guys, or even to promote themselves. Have you ever seen a Suhr ad in a magazine?

Eric Clapton was paid £1million to play fender exclusively.

Suhr dont pay anyone

Suhr guitars are very expensive - that I will give you. I thought for a while that they are too expensive, but then I decided I would upgrade my strat

It's important to realize that this is spec'd to match an S1 for quality - if you haven't experienced the quality of a Suhr this may seem over the top.

Fender body, Warmoth neck (same specs as my suhr), Suhr Electrics, Gotoh Bridge, Locking Machineheads, high quality gig bag

that's over £1000 already before factoring in the price of postage, VAT etc

then throw in a WORLD CLASS setup, wiring, routing for the trem etc. My Suhr plays so well because it's expertly made and perfectly set up. You dont get that on a fender (I know my baby started out as one and it was far from perfect).

Yeah, Suhr might me a little bit too expensive - but in life you get what you pay for. Sure, you're paying for the name, but you also pay for an instrument which is made by one person. Who works for a company who are known to restart a build if a neck and body are anything less than a PERFECT match. There's a reason John was Fender's master luthier for so long!

That's some serious £££ - and all in all it was a little cheaper than if I were to pick up a Suhr S1/2, but if I factor in the time it's taken to snipe all these parts on eBay, waiting for them to get here, putting them together, modding it etc.... I think it would be less hassle to just buy another Suhr

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Sir Robin wrote:
I was wondering about that as well.

I mean, if the guitars are that good, then every guitar player who could afford one would get one, right?

I think those boutique guitars might be good, but you dont need one even if you're a professional.

Adding to what MissMistreater said I'd imagine the guitars these guys actually end up getting receive a lot more care and attention in the custom shop and can be tweaked and refined and tuned / polished indefinitely.

The PGMs Paul has for example are probably drastically different than what you or I would get walking into a store and picking one up off the factory floor.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 pm
Viking Kong

Yes, but then again, Paul plays vintage Ibanez guitars he gets on eBay. Sure, some of them go through the custom shop for set up and all that, but overall they're just regular quality instruments.

Marty Friedman has played PRS and Ibanez in the past years as I can tell.

And Jimmy Page - not 2012 Jimmy Page, but 1965 Jimmy Page - would buy and play several different instruments.

I never said the Surhs (or any other boutique guitars) aren't good. I'm just saying that MAYBE we don't actually need an instrument THAT good, and I wonder if I could really tell the difference between one of those and a Prestige Ibanez, for instance.

That said, I'm not a professional musician. Levi knows what he's talking about, and I'm sure he played 10 times more instruments than I've played in my whole life. As an amateur guitar player, I'm not sure if I need an instrument that expensive and that good.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Oh no, I agree completely - you don't NEED a high end boutique guitar. In fact I'm currently doing well on an Ibanez AG85 and It's great!

I've owned Squier guitars that I'd happily gig on too.

Fact is (with todays technology) you dont need to spend more than $500 on a guitar - that includes high end ibanez stuff.

Sadly though, we are all slaves to consumerism, and buying something just to have it is nice. I mean, I could live in a one bed studio, drive a bike, eat like a hobo and use a nokia 5110.... but it's much nicer to have more, both for comfort, status and pleasure

sad but true haha

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Sir Robin wrote:
I never said the Surhs (or any other boutique guitars) aren't good. I'm just saying that MAYBE we don't actually need an instrument THAT good, and I wonder if I could really tell the difference between one of those and a Prestige Ibanez, for instance.

We don't need alot of things. Luxury goods in general are not necessary. But they are desirable to some. If you can afford it, and owning one makes you happy the suhr may be worth it.

I probably could tell the difference between a Prestige Ibanez and a suhr. Thats mainly because of the neck profiles though.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm
Godzilla

MissMisstreater wrote:
?

Slobber! That's gorgeous, whose is it?

MissMisstreater wrote:
Fact is (with todays technology) you dont need to spend more than $500 on a guitar - that includes high end ibanez stuff.

Disagree strongly if you factor in any kind of longevity. The fretwork on cheaper guitars doesn't last, and if you need a vibrato system that'll stay in tune, for that kind of money, it won't for many years, even if it does so initially. Good refrets/setups are expensive. The quality of the stainless steel fretjobs on Suhrs is one of the reasons I'm looking into auctioning body parts/"personal services"/family members to get one. I'm pretty sure I want a wang bar, though, and need to try out the different options to find something that stays in tune, sounds good, and has a feel I can get on with.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:09 pm
Motorman

Why don't more guitar manufacturers use stainless steel frets? It surely can't be that much more expensive than nickel - spoons are pretty cheap, after all.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm
God Of The Sun

Gandalf wrote:

Disagree strongly if you factor in any kind of longevity. The fretwork on cheaper guitars doesn't last, and if you need a vibrato system that'll stay in tune, for that kind of money, it won't for many years, even if it does so initially. Good refrets/setups are expensive. The quality of the stainless steel fretjobs on Suhrs is one of the reasons I'm looking into auctioning body parts/"personal services"/family members to get one. I'm pretty sure I want a wang bar, though, and need to try out the different options to find something that stays in tune, sounds good, and has a feel I can get on with.

you make some fair points - I should have pointed out that I meant anything you dont want to wang on! But I could have my Squier affinity refreted on the plek machine at Chandlers with stainless steel for considerably less than it would cost me to have a Suhr - obviously i'm still going to reach for my Suhr over it - but is my Suhr £2500 better?

Well.... as stated previously - I'm a slave to consumerism!

If Henderson plays them - that's enough for me!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:
Pao wrote:
Are Suhrs really worth the price you pay? I know they're awesome but just askin

Maybe. Sometimes.

That's the beauty of choices. With so many different guitars out there, you're bound to find what you're looking for. If it's a Suhr, then so be it. Chances are, you'll want to keep it for life, though.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 am
Viking Kong

I know I'd like to TRY a Suhr some day, purchasing one is not an option I can make. I'm quite alright with cheaper guitars. If you can afford something like a Suhr though, there is nothing to stop you doing so. It is only bound to please.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am
Viking Kong

I'm not saying the quality is bad or shoddy. They all PLAY and are set up awesome.

As far as the sound, that's up to your own ears...I've played some that were 3500$ customs (one at 4000$) that sounded really bland to my ears (maybe due to poor wood combos, or something). BUT, then I played one at $1,900 at it was fucking awesome.

Maybe it's the price tag that screams "I'm going to be fucking mindblowing!!!" in your face, but when you play it, it doesn't sound $2,000 more than the other guy's boutique guitar. By no means did those guitars suck, but if I paid $4,000 dollars I expect it to sound like the most fucking awesome thing out there, something that once I played it I would never want to put down. There is a certain threshold of build quality when guitars all start to sound and play very similar (beyond things like pickups, wood, and body style). I have however, played a one or two $3,000 Suhrs that were like, "Okay, I could probably use this guitar for life".

Playability is always spot on though, intonation and set ups are amazing bar none. You won't be disappointed most likely

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 am
Viking Kong

I like the direction this discussion has taken.

Some very good points have been made.

First, I wouldn't say a 500 dollar guitar is that good nowadays. I have a Jackson dinky, which I paid around 400 five or six years ago, and it has many imperfections compared to my PGM.

The pick ups were bad, the electronics needed switching after three years, the end of the frets stick out of the neck ( it doesn't hurt you, but it just looks ugly and poorly set up) and, as it was said already, the tremolo system is not that good. I mean, it's a good instrument, and in fact it is my main guitar, but when you play a higher end instrument, you can tell the difference. What I'm saying is that I can't picture a guitar being better built than a prestige Ibanez or a gIbson etc. maybe, as Justice said, the neck profile, body type, wood, finish etc will please you better, but it's a matter of taste, not of quality.

I also never played a Suhr. I might go to some expensive guitar shop one day and act like I'm going to buy one just to see if they're that good.

ConsumErism is a bitch, just like you don't need a Ferrari, you don't need a Suhr. But, as someone said, if you have the money, and that will make you happy, go for it. We just can't let that take over ourselves, and be upset when we can't afford such things. I think the difference between being a consumerist and an expensive consumer lies right there: the latter doesn't feel the need to buy, he just does because he can.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 am
Profile YIM
Search Button God!

I wouldn't mind owning one at some point in my life. They are built to a very very high standard. Having said that the one I played felt like a toy in my hands. It seemed smaller than my other guitars for some reason.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Suhrs are also highly customizable, that makes em "rare" since the probability of you being the only person who has that exact guitar is really really high. If you add that to the build quality and reputation I think the prices they ask for are "alright". I mean that's a rough estimate in comparison to other expensive guitars too.

I think they can still put their price down a little, but that'd probably mean they don't earn as much. I mean the attention they put into the details of the guitar is a lot of labor and I depending on how they look at it (minus the price of the materials used), they might feel that they're compensating too much? Or I dunno.

Also, people still buy Suhr. I doubt they'd reduce their prices just cause people think it's expensive. Heck, I'd say some people are interested in Suhrs just cause they ARE expensive. And rare. And word of mouth blah blah.

EDIT: I asked the question cause I personally only WANT one. I never felt like I needed one (maybe I am not as picky at the moment? or maybe cause I have no money haha). I just wanted to know if others felt like the prices are justified.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 am
Viking Kong

For some reason, the only guitar I really WANT right now in an Ibanez pf 300... But he'll they're getting expensive!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Sir Robin wrote:
For some reason, the only guitar I really WANT right now in an Ibanez pf 300... But he'll they're getting expensive!

Think you got it rough? I'm seriously GASing for a Blackmachine, the waiting list is like 3 years and is currently closed :(

Might end up getting a Bernie Rico.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 pm
God Of The Sun

for me want and need often become the same thing..... after months of wanting something I get so crazy about it I just HAVE to make it happen.

I know i'm a complete slave to consumerism.... but at the same time, it's an informed decision, I don't fall prey to advertising or a pushy sales person.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

^ It's totally fine if there's (some) legit justification and you can dish out the dosh for it, which is why you and others can do it.

I sometimes do the same thing for computer parts, I've restrained myself for the past few years though.

Sir Robin wrote:

I'd love on of those but... Is it me or are a LOT of Les Paul style/copy guitars really small?

Maybe it's just me being a huge ass kinda guy but I walked into a guitar shop last week and it just looked like a load of the guitar bodies were... small...

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:05 pm
Viking Kong

MissMisstreater wrote:
for me want and need often become the same thing..... after months of wanting something I get so crazy about it I just HAVE to make it happen.

I know i'm a complete slave to consumerism.... but at the same time, it's an informed decision, I don't fall prey to advertising or a pushy sales person.

buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana buy a katana

:P

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next