View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Considering a Suhr, advice? 
Godzilla

Post Re: Considering a Suhr, advice?
meticadpa wrote:
Why don't more guitar manufacturers use stainless steel frets? It surely can't be that much more expensive than nickel - spoons are pretty cheap, after all.

They wear out fretworking tools many times faster than standard brass alloy frets, thus costing far more to fit and set up.

Actually, the only Suhr I've played to date really did not leave all that great an impression – the pickups were totally unsuited for my high-gain rock playing, and the setup was awful. The salesman said he'd done it himself, but that the neck kept moving about... In my part of the world we get some pretty extreme temperature/humidity changes. This is why I'm looking at the roasted maple necks, as they're supposed to be very stable.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm
Motorman

Gandalf wrote:
They wear out fretworking tools many times faster than standard brass alloy frets, thus costing far more to fit and set up.

Actually, the only Suhr I've played to date really did not leave all that great an impression – the pickups were totally unsuited for my high-gain rock playing, and the setup was awful. The salesman said he'd done it himself, but that the neck kept moving about... In my part of the world we get some pretty extreme temperature/humidity changes. This is why I'm looking at the roasted maple necks, as they're supposed to be very stable.

Ohh, true. I didn't actually consider that. I guess that's the same reason behind why ebony fretboards aren't terribly commonly used. If I ever get my guitars refretted they're definitely going to have stainless steel frets. Huge ones.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Superhero

Think I'm going to get this one :)

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/ele ... lburst.htm

Another pic

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_ ... 2616145829

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 am
Viking Kong

Well, normally I would say that I much prefer the Modern series of Suhrs... but that is a great looking guitar!

I am, to quote Levi, a complete "save to consumerism" and I now have major Suhr GAS... thanks a lot! :P

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

You dont know the half of it Dave.... I preordered a vita for no reason other than.... I want one.....

I just buy shit because I feel I need to! :(

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

What are the advantages of buying a Suhr guitar over a guitar made by a luthier like Jaden Rose? The prices are definitely comparable.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm
Godzilla

Loth as I am to say so, one of the main advantages Suhr has over small-shop custom builders is brand recognition and hence resale value.

Ant knows this all too well, I fear.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3