View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 New Lesson! Feedback needed (open to RX board for now) 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post New Lesson! Feedback needed (open to RX board for now)
Hola, amigos. I made a new video lesson. It's not really a guitar video err... just watch and tell me what you think!

http://youtu.be/xPp47a3CBks (I left this uploading, will be available in 15 minutes O_O I'm going out haha)

1 - I need opinions on my voice because I don't know if I'm fluent enough to be talking that fast. When I talked slow it took almost 5 minutes so I re-recorded and now it sounds okay with me but maybe that's just me. So should I include subs?

2 - How's the lesson? Is it good enough for a beginner? I actually skipped A LOT of terms but it's mostly just to introduce the concept of modes to newbies. I seriously had this problem when I started out and if it weren't for some board members, I don't think I'd EVER get what the hell it was about. I guess it's sort of like a generation gap when it comes to musicians but whatever, I just needed someone to give me an example and not be a douche about it.

3 - I can actually draw a lot better than that but most of the drawings in the video are doodles. Same way I'd draw if I was just really bored and I wanted to draw whatever on the sides of my notes. I felt a little OC after looking at the parts where I half-shaded (I might avoid these) and I felt like the whole thing needed a little more light.

Comments? Suggestions? Would really love to hear what you guys think. If this is awesome I'll make some more. If not, I'll quit before it becomes a disaster :lol:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 am
God Of The Sun

Post Re: New Lesson! Feedback needed (open to RX board for now)
Love it bro

Here's my thoughts

You speak fine, though some words sound funny.... ie Intervals which you say as inTERvals... and most people say INtervals - just a placement of the accent.

I would say you move by everything way too fast for a beginner though. I keep up because I know what you're going to say, and I know what you mean. A beginner would have to pause and rewing it every few seconds to ponder what you've said.

That being said - I LOVE the presentation. Really good man!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Your pronounciation is alright, I could understand you no problem, then again I'm used to hearing all different kinds of english everyday :lol:

The graphics were really cool too. The subtitles could be useful, or well... talking slower. Because as you said, you want to explain that to someone who's not really all that familiar with the topic, and you use a lot of "hard words" and ideas that not everyone might get the first time (like "the 5th which is a 3rd up from the 3rd" :D).

It's a good lesson though.

Last edited by _NowakP on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Would annotations with the jargons help? I mean, instead of putting in everything I'm saying, I'll just put in like "Intervals" for example while I'm talking about them. Aww could've drawn them in I guess I didn't think of that :?

Hey Levi where've you been? Yeah now that I look at it I never really thought about how I read intervals but I guess that's worth correcting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Should I post this already or should I re-do the whole thing? I think I'd have to wait till next week for it, though.

Also, is alright that I left out some of the terms? I felt like they're not THAT needed at this level.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 pm
God Of The Sun

I'd upload it - I think it's a great video, just not quite the market you think its aimed at

I think it's a great resource for intermediate players

I think it would get you some subs because its just a cool vid

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thanks, mate. I made it public now. I guess you're right, with all the technical terms it's aimed for more intermediate guitar players who wanna learn a little bit more. Maybe I'll make one that's for total beginners next time. Or maybe make one for memorizing the fretboard.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:12 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Cool one, but too fast for me ! I will have to replay it many times to understand everything

I agree that it would also need some subtitles ;)

Thanks for making it, there are funny ideas with the graphics :)

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 pm
Viking Kong

Ha ha! That was pretty cool! :D
While I agree with some of the other posts that it was quick, at least pausing & rewinding is much easier than on a VHS. :shock:
Be glad you're living in the digital age, kids.
I've always found modes to be an exciting, eye opening subject, so this is great!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:40 pm
Motorman

Hey Pao,

I saw this thing pass by on Facebook.
I thought it was really cool and well done!
But yeah, if I were a Beginner I'd probably go cry or something...:-), or start a Knitting course!
So Much info, goes by soooooo fast!
Your accent sounds fine to me there!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 am
Viking Kong

Ok, let me give you feedback from a beginners point of view:

You went over everything SO fast, that I got scared! I felt like "Am I supposed to know ALL this by now?"

I think the video could be twice as long, just so I can digest what you're saying.

About the English, it sounds fine, don't worry about it!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thanks so much for the feedback sDR, Rich, Remy (whoa), and Matt!

I really feel like I went a little board with the jargons this time. I have a question: whenever you're in a museum, for example, tour guides tell you about pieces of art in a story-telling sort of way and no jargons really get in your way. I was gonna do something like this but I was afraid that leaving out terms would kill the lesson. Is that acceptable, though?

Example: (writes down CDEFGAB with numbers below each letter) - "This is the major scale. To build a chord, let's stack three notes by starting with C from the scale, then jumping over two notes."

I feel like I'm leaving out valuable pieces of information. Is it something that's okay to skip? I'm scared listeners might misunderstand the concept :? Should I maybe split the video in half? Lesson about scales, chords, and triads? Then lesson about the modes and its uses?

Also if I slowed down the talking and allowed the watchers to digest it more, would you get bored eventually? Or should I just put in more drawings to keep it interesting? I honestly was bored listening to myself talk about chords and triads if I wanted to hear about modes, but I couldn't skip that part because the chord structure is important for the modes.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK! :D :D :D I can't wait to make a new one now! I promise it will definitely be better :D

P.S. Okay that's good you can understand my English clearly. I knew I could talk to people in conversational English but I was afraid people might not understand some words because of the jargons. Also I dunno with you guys but it's weird for me to hear my voice :lol: I didn't know I sounded that way! wtflolbbq

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Questions re: lighting/visuals

- Is it too dark?
- Are the shadows annoying?
- Should I clean up the drawings or should I keep them doodle-looking?

There's this bit in the video that had random lines (probably cause of the lamp I was using) and it annoyed me like hell. Just saying :lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:32 pm
Motorman

Here's another Idea:

Divide all the Info in let's say 3-4 different segments, and make follow up videos of them !

That way you can go deeper into the stuff, without having to worry about going over stuff to fast!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Remyhansen wrote:
Here's another Idea:

Divide all the Info in let's say 3-4 different segments, and make follow up videos of them !

That way you can go deeper into the stuff, without having to worry about going over stuff to fast!

I think that's great. Maybe I will do something like that. I was afraid this was gonna be a one-off thing but I guess I'll be making a whole lot more (hopefully). Cheers!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Godzilla

Remyhansen wrote:
But yeah, if I were a Beginner I'd probably go cry or something...:-)

Saw this video when you put it up, and I'm just back from crying. I am a theory noob, but I managed to follow maybe a 3rd of it (possibly because I've touched on that far before in my own study) before getting completely overwhelmed.

Stylistically it's really good. You mentioned getting annoyed at the shadows and stuff, and a barely noticed. Might have been cause I was focussing so hard trying to follow along though... The doodley drawings fit that style of presentation well though so I'd stick with them.

I'd love to see another video Pao, cause it was actually really useful and I did learn some stuff :)

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]