View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 What picks did Paul use in Intense Rock? 
Motorman

Post What picks did Paul use in Intense Rock?
Hi everyone! Very long time no see!!

I've been strugling for a long time with what pick to use, as I'm sure many of you have sometimes too, I've tried them all and am currently using (who would have guessed, haha) Jazz IIIs. However, they just don't seem to be working for me either, they are too small and if I lose them and have to play a gig with a borrowed regular size pick I feel like I can't play. I know Paul currently says he uses the 0.60mm Orange Tortex picks, but that seems quite light gauge to me, not the kind of pick you normally hear shredders talk about. What I do know is I really like (who am I kidding, LOVE) the tone, attack, feel etc. that Paul's picking had in the Intense Rock 1 vid and I'm wondering if anyone perhaps knows what gauge, brand, thickness, material Paul was using back then. I'd be especially curious to know the gauge, it doesn't seem to me to be as low as 0.60 anyway. For the record I asked Paul and he said he couldn't remember, other than that he used to sharpen the point of his picks in those days by swiping them on the carpet.

Thanks so much!
:D

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: What picks did Paul use in Intense Rock?
You could try using a heavier tortex Dunlop, then sharpening the edge on the carpet...Personally, I dig the yellow or green ones. If you don't want to sharpen and still get that snap like you do with lighter picks, the yellow pick is probably a little more suited towards it.

Or you could also try JazzIII XLs, which is the Jazz III in normal pick size.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22 pm
Dr. X

Yeah Jazz III XLs are great, I have the same issue you have with the regular Jazz IIIs when I'm playing rhythm.

My current fav is the Hetfield Black Fangs - 1.14mm gauge.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm
Motorman

Yeah, I thought the James Hetfield Black Fangs looked AWESOME. What are they like for alternate picking? Also, anybody use Paul's signature Ibanez picks?

I'm trying to shy away from heavier picks as I have a pretty heavy touch as it is, however I know some great pickers like Andy James and Theodore Ziras both use 2.0mm and 3.0mm picks respectively. I'm confused, I used to play 2.0mm Tortex picks, but I always thought they were slower, not faster... :?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm
Motorman

Here's some footage of Paul talking about the pick he uses now, but I'd still like to know if he used heavier picks back in the 80's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbk7KfQ7RVg

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:36 am
Godzilla

The PG sig picks are pretty damn nice, they're pretty much in the middle size-wise between a Jazz III and a regular Tortex style, and have a decent point too. I found that they tend to wear down pretty quick though, and that combined with the fact that they're not exactly easy to find made me want to switch away. They're nice though, and I'd recommend trying them if you can get them. If you like them I advise buying in bulk cause you can't exactly walk into a guitar store and find them if you need one at a pinch before a gig or something.

I'm currently trying out the Planet Waves Black Ice 0.8mm picks, and I really like them. I think they're marginally bigger than a Jazz III (though I haven't played a Jazz III in ages so I could be wrong), and they don't have the same plasticy feel that I didn't like on the J3's and also I prefer their sound and attack. They seem pretty resilient too and wear pretty slowly. I used to have problems when I played J3's switching to normal sized picks too, but for some reason I don't have any trouble changing from these.

Also I think I heard that apparently Misha from Periphery has just started using them, so there's that.

Oh and I did consider trying out the Black Fang picks as mentioned, but haven't got round to it. It does look like it would be pretty good.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:13 am
Superhero

I recommend tortex picks (around 0.88) and just sharpening them for that nice tone.

Jazz IIIs are good for fast playing but they sound really muddy and overall once you start looking at your tone more you won't want to use them :)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

_NowakP wrote:
Jazz IIIs are good for fast playing but they sound really muddy and overall once you start looking at your tone more you won't want to use them :)

I definately noticed that many players who use Jazz III's do not have a tone I necessarily admire, and vice versa too (many players who's tone and picking skill I love do not use the amazing Jazz III's either). It should be noted that both Eric Johnson and Joe Bonmassa use the red Jazz III's though, so to each his own I guess. But for the cut throat alternate picking sound, I don't really think they sound good for my ears anyway. All of my favourite alternate pickers do not use Jazz III picks.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 am
Dr. X

ShredVsFeel wrote:
Yeah, I thought the James Hetfield Black Fangs looked AWESOME. What are they like for alternate picking? Also, anybody use Paul's signature Ibanez picks?

I'm trying to shy away from heavier picks as I have a pretty heavy touch as it is, however I know some great pickers like Andy James and Theodore Ziras both use 2.0mm and 3.0mm picks respectively. I'm confused, I used to play 2.0mm Tortex picks, but I always thought they were slower, not faster... :?

I've found the Black Fangs awesome for it. Got to be accurate though! The size makes it perfect for both rhythm and lead. There's a few different sizes, 1.14mm being the biggest. I could do with a 2.0 personally, but the 1.14mm is nice.

That reminds me, I'm onto my last ones. I'm going to have to buy another bag of them.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 am
Viking Kong

ShredVsFeel wrote:

Picks do not make anyone play faster...unless I'm being confused.

Guthrie used to use Jazz III XLs and his tone is bright as hell as well. Now he uses Red Bear.

Check it out, here are some general rules of pick tone. The lower in thickness you go, the more of a "slicing" kind of attack you get. The more flappy it is, the more snap (of course this also depends on your string gauge). The thicker you go, generally, it is more blunt sounding, especially with materials like Jazz III. I wouldn't say Jazz IIIs are muddy, its just they have a more blunt, fat initial pick attack.

The materials used matters. Jazz III doesn't have that sweeter slice that a tortex would have. An Ultex is even sweeter sounding than a tortex (and also comes with a sharp point if you so desire, i love these). An Ultex (not the jazz III version) though, is also made slightly rounder and is usually in the thicker size range.

Usually, real jazz musicians use really round and fat picks, and that makes their tone warmer and "round". The pick attack is fatter initially, but also at the same time more subtle. Alternate picking with heavy distortion usually comes out weird with picks like these (an example I can give are Alligator dunlops, the more fat ones). They have too much slip and slide to the initial attack, so doesn't sound as good.

BTW: Thought I'd add...playing with thinner picks would probably actually make you play SLOWER because you have to compensate for the pick bending by a tiny bit. A thicker pick doesn't move, so it's up do the hands to be efficient. It's a feel thing. Do you like to feel the pick bend when you hit the string and snap? Or do you like the opposite?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:18 am
Motorman

These are the picks I used. The purple one's technically a bass pick, but I like using it. I scratched it all up with sandpaper so it's easier to hold.

Purple one sounds a bit sharper and more "shreddy" than the orange. I also like practising with the purple and then playing with the green... feels a lot easier.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:38 pm
Motorman

I played with that purple one for 6 or 7 years!! The only thing I didn't love about them was the shape of the point, I always sharpened them a little.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 pm
Motorman

Yep, I sharpen all my picks now. I've been using this for about 6-7 days now!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm
Motorman

meticadpa wrote:
Yep, I sharpen all my picks now. I've been using this for about 6-7 days now!

:D

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:16 am
Motorman

I've been using the purple to practice my picking with, and then when I move back to the orange everything seems a lot easier. I made a lot of progress with the ascending/descending picking parts in The Curse of Castle Dragon in just an hour with this method.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Here is the new Tortex Pick:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Tortex-TIII
They are bigger than the normal Jazz III.
I like the small Jazz Tortex.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]