View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 String Dilemma 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post String Dilemma
I recently purchased an $80 Kramer Striker 300ST(which, by the way, is AMAZING). I noticed after I had set it up that when I played the guitar, I could play at much faster speeds than on any of my other guitars. I believe this is partly due to the fact that the Kramer has .009 gauge strings and all of the other ones have .010 strings. Also that the Kramer is tuned down to Eb, while the others are in standard. I understand that that could make a difference, but it also feels like there is something else going on. The other guitars have D'Addario strings, and I'm not sure what is on the Kramer, but it definatley feels different.

What I'm wondering is: Even with a gauge difference and slight tuning difference, would I be able to play that much faster? It does feel like I go from warming up in the morning to playing my best that day; it's a major difference to both of my hands.

Kramer Striker 300ST
-----
Marshall MG100HDFX Half-Stack

Last edited by Renny_Riff on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:15 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Post Re: String Dilemma
Some guitar teachers swear by having their students practice on accoustics with high action, thick strings, etc. so that by the time they're on an electric, it's just easy as hell.

It sounds like you might be experiencing a miniature version of that.

I used to use .008 to .38 electric strings a long time ago. :)

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Haha dang man, that's extra, extra light. I guess I've found the factors that make this guitar ultra shreddable

-Lighter gauge strings
-1/2 step lower tuning
-Thinner neck

The change is so drastic though, I might try different brands of strings just to experiment, and now I feel like trying .008 for the fun of it

Kramer Striker 300ST
-----
Marshall MG100HDFX Half-Stack

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:57 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Rich wrote:
Some guitar teachers swear by having their students practice on accoustics with high action, thick strings, etc. so that by the time they're on an electric, it's just easy as hell.

It sounds like you might be experiencing a miniature version of that.

I used to use .008 to .38 electric strings a long time ago. :)

I have no idea how anyone can play something those light. You'd pull the strings out of tune just by breathing on them.

It could be the lower string tension enabling you to play faster, but it could be the case that the whole feel of the guitar works better for you and thus you're more confident/able to play better.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm
Superhero

Doesn't Yngwie use 0.08s? ;)

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

AzzaDutt wrote:
I have no idea how anyone can play something those light. You'd pull the strings out of tune just by breathing on them.

It could be the lower string tension enabling you to play faster, but it could be the case that the whole feel of the guitar works better for you and thus you're more confident/able to play better.

It was an odd sensation. My guitar at the time had an original Floyd Rose, so fortunately, it stayed in tune pretty well! :D
It's kind of fun to try all types of gauges. Even thin ones.

The thing is, when using a floating vibrato & light strings, you'll really have to pay attention to/adjust the spring tension on the back, so that everything's level.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 am
Motorman

I really really love the feel of 9 gauge strings down a half step on my Ibanez. I initially felt that fast rush too, everything suddenly felt that much easier, and I was actually faster. I don't know what it is, but it sure feels gooooood!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]