View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 govan @ 17 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post govan @ 17
frenzy by gilbert is nuts for his age and this.. is insane too! for 17 he has incredible control of the instrument. i'm seeing guthrie play as the 'aristocrats' with marco minnemann (:D) and bryan beller in philly next tuesday. can't wait to hear his playing firsthand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehS0hbF5 ... re=related

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Post Re: govan @ 17
Guthrie was born in '71 so he must have been around 22 when that was recorded :P

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

_NowakP wrote:
Guthrie was born in '71 so he must have been around 22 when that was recorded :P

so i have 2 more years to get as good him....

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 pm
Viking Kong

That's what I was thinking.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Don't feel so bad about your guitar playing. I know it was a tongue in cheek comment, but Govan said it once:

He was ranting about how guitar players nowadays rely on tabs and what-not and skip the most important part of being a musician, ear training. One student of his raised his hand and said he was in the medical field (a doctor or a med-tech I forgot) and he said that he doesn't want to figure out songs on his own, he just wants to go home and play Careless Whisper after a tiring day of work. Guthrie realized that there are different levels of being a guitar player.

I for one gave up on the fact that there are so many players out there who are better than me. I'm not really up for the contest, but I try not to rank myself up against people who get paid to play guitar. They have more time than me. I have so much musical energy that I wanna put out, but most of it is delayed, prolonged, whatever you wanna call it. Pushed to the side? Maybe until I get the time to do it, and by then it isn't as magical as it initially was. Also, my budget for music is limited to allowance and savings. I don't have the cash to buy HD cameras or Suhr guitars. It's tough but what the heck.

I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that I have a whole album in my head that I could've/should've recorded over a year ago that died in its course. I wrote a new one from Feb to April but I don't think I'll ever get the time to record. But yeah just sharing a thought.

/rant a little OT but yeah I rarely post nowadays forgive me

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 pm
Viking Kong

Wow, I'm 22. It puts it in a nice perspective when you can hear one of your heroes at your age, and see the amount of improvement he went through still.

He already had the chops, but now he is so monstrously musical. Its great!

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]