View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Rate me! The Curse Of Castle Dragon 
Promises to use Search button

Post Rate me! The Curse Of Castle Dragon
Hey I've been playing electric guitar for about 11 months.. like almost a year know. I'm self taught, very focused on guitar techniques more than anything else, specially alternate picking. I'm kind of fast at some stuff like picking and tapping but I don't think I'm really GREAT overall.

Well, anyway I just recorded a video like 2 weeks ago just to show a friend that I could play (he's better than me), he said that I got better but that I had to work on some stuff like my bending and some other parts that I didnt play totally clean.

Anyway, I just wanted to get more feedback from perhaps more experienced people like lots of you guys, just to get more advice and hopefully make my guitar playing better. I'm personally open to any kind of criticism as long as you don't insult me and my playing.

The song is The Curse Of Castle Dragon, I played the short version actually (without the solo) here's the video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbtXzjUjtI

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:50 am
Search Button God!

Post Re: Rate me! The Curse Of Castle Dragon
Nice picking for 11 months of playing. I couldn't pick my own nose at that stage. Now for some constructive criticism:

- slow down, your tempo is all over the place. Fire up the metronome (or make some dum loops) and practice with that.
- your vibrato is non existent
- bending needs work, you need to bend to a certain note not just bend a string for the sake of bending a string
- there's no dynamics in your playing, but to focus on that specifically you need to sort out all the stuff above ;)

And he most important part:

- use your ears!

Make your notes sound good. Don't just focus on playing things fast. Remember that speed is a by-product of accuracy. For specific licks or exercises I recommend PG's IR1 & 2 and Guitars From Mars (the Rock version, but the Classical is good too if you want to take a break and learn some Bach :)). GFM has a nice explanation of the mechanics of Pauls vibrato.

I hope that helps :)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 am

Hey thanks. I already knew I need to work on my bending and vibrato, but I've been working on it lately tho (my finger hurts lol).

And yeah, taking a review of IR1 and 2, and also guitar from mars sounds like a good idea, there has to be something on those videos that I didn't take in to acount because I was lazy just trying to learn an specific lick and play it fast.

And lastly.. use my ears.. yeah I know that's very useful on the long run for improvising and making solos. Since you're more likely to get used to play what you hear in your head(wich makes it more original) rather than play any random lick that sounds good because it fits in some particular key (wich makes it repetitive and sometimes boring). So... any suggestions to train my ears?

Oh.. and whats GFM? lol

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 pm
Dr. X

Your doing good for 11 months so keep it up.

As said above use a metronome. It really will help! You could also download the backing track which, as far as i know, is on the first page of the tab thread.

It sometimes sounds like your hitting some strings too lightly as well.

Work on getting stuff right as opposed to fast.

But as i said at the top, good work :D

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm
Search Button God!

Davez123 wrote:
Oh.. and whats GFM? lol

Davez123 wrote:
guitar from marsl

;)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 am

oh.. haha ^_^' Ok np. I was going to watch it anyway. K I hope more pple can rate my video soon =)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:58 am
Superhero

11 months? LEARN OTHER NON SHRED SONGS WITH VOCALS,
not just guitar wanking. Read Guthrie Govans Guitar Player mag
Interview, he mentions players with ' an Ibanez, pointy stiff pick, Pod and
Shred dvds' who need to learn more real world stuff.
Enjoy playing, it is not just an olympic event.
Allmeant positively dude.

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 am

Mr MUTTLEY! wrote:
LEARN OTHER NON SHRED SONGS WITH VOCALS

Hmm what songs you recommend me to learn? I already know some stuff from green day, but I don't know.. I really get bored easily with that kind of stuff, I was planning to try and learn electric gypsy (andy timmons) it doesn't look too hard and it's more like a balad.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 am
Superhero

Quote:
he mentions players with ' an Ibanez, pointy stiff pick, Pod and
Shred dvds' who need to learn more real world stuff.

Haha, that totally sounds like me :lol: My rhythm is still awful because I never played a lot of "the easy stuff" or I would just get the chords down and that's it. Lead playing was always more interesting.

Now I have to catch up :lol:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Literally any or all SONGS you like, if you join a band they are not gonna
Say 'hey anyone know Curse of the castle dragon?' and girls in
Bars you play in sure will not!
Dont sprint before you crawl.
Gilbert knows EVERY tune, and did before he tackled IR1 stuff.
I gig every week, shred does not come up.

Saying that , guitarist Tal Farlow ( SERIOUS JAZZ)
Pointed out a hard piece will always be hard, so
Get straight into it...
Just cover basics, and be rounded.
Good luck

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm
Superhero

Quote:
Pointed out a hard piece will always be hard, so

This is so true as well. No matter how long I play, a new song requiring technical prowess will always be difficult to learn :lol:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

learn as many songs as you can. doesn't matter how easy it is, just get a big vocabulary. it's nice to know how other guitarists think so you're not stuck playing like one player.

always record yourself playing and listen to it back. you'll start to hear what sounds good/what you've improved, and also what you need to improve.

it's already been said but metronome, vibrato and bending!

with the metronome, learn the licks slow and build up to regular speed.

with all that said, if you wanna learn another pg song, learn 'i cannot tell a lie' from sfbadr. tons of vibrato and string bending.

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 am

rsmseries wrote:
learn as many songs as you can. doesn't matter how easy it is, just get a big vocabulary. it's nice to know how other guitarists think so you're not stuck playing like one player.

always record yourself playing and listen to it back. you'll start to hear what sounds good/what you've improved, and also what you need to improve.

it's already been said but metronome, vibrato and bending!

with the metronome, learn the licks slow and build up to regular speed.

with all that said, if you wanna learn another pg song, learn 'i cannot tell a lie' from sfbadr. tons of vibrato and string bending.

Hey thanks man. Good song suggestion btw, first time I listen to it and is like whoa.. to good, I love that kind of playing not just shred.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:37 am
Motorman

Davez123 wrote:
I was planning to try and learn electric gypsy (andy timmons) it doesn't look too hard and it's more like a balad.

Oh it's still a bitch to get right. So many small, yet important details. :)

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:07 am

teddygorm wrote:
Davez123 wrote:
I was planning to try and learn electric gypsy (andy timmons) it doesn't look too hard and it's more like a balad.

Oh it's still a bitch to get right. So many small, yet important details. :)

Yeah, the harmonic tapping part is kinda hard for me x_x

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 am
Search Button God!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYN5w4T_aM&ob=av2e learn the solo from this. It requires bending, legato, feeling and you need to get a good 'snappy' tone from the strings... oh, and it's fun :D

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 am
Viking Kong

If you want easy songs to practice rythm, I can't think of an easier and cooler band than Black Sabbath.

The first albums are filled with awesome licks, which are easy to play but require some heart to sound good. Think of Black Sabbath (the song), Iron Man, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sweet Leaf, NIB.... the list goes on and on.

I know it's boring to learn songs you don't know, so try to listen to some classic rock bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Cream, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles...

If that does not fit your taste, look for other bands you might like. I just warn you that even if you practice really hard on your shredding skills, it won't sound as good as if you practice some beginers' stuff first. I say that because, when I was playing for about a year or two, I'd practice Techinical Difficulties like crazy. I could play it all right, but it didn't sound natural.

So just... play some Paranoid! :chew:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm
Profile YIM

Sir Robin wrote:
If you want easy songs to practice rythm, I can't think of an easier and cooler band than Black Sabbath.

The first albums are filled with awesome licks, which are easy to play but require some heart to sound good. Think of Black Sabbath (the song), Iron Man, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sweet Leaf, NIB.... the list goes on and on.

I know it's boring to learn songs you don't know, so try to listen to some classic rock bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Cream, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles...

If that does not fit your taste, look for other bands you might like. I just warn you that even if you practice really hard on your shredding skills, it won't sound as good as if you practice some beginers' stuff first. I say that because, when I was playing for about a year or two, I'd practice Techinical Difficulties like crazy. I could play it all right, but it didn't sound natural.

So just... play some Paranoid! :chew:

hey thanks dude, yeah I like black sabbath, I might try some of their songs later =)

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:17 pm
Motorman

Totally agree. I got caught with the "I want to play lead guitar" bug really early on when my friend showed me Steve Vai and Joe Satriani stuff (I remember his song, "Summer Song" ABSOLUTELY blowing my mind). However later on I realized all I cared about was playing fast and I wasn't tasteful at all and my timing sucked when I was in bands. So then I went back and learned the essentials. The stuff that people like Vai and Satch and all the other greats listened to for inspiration. It seems that mostly everyone, even those that don't really have a style that resembles it, has some connection with blues and can play a good blues if need be (Steve Vai's blues shred improv thing from many moons ago is NOT a good example of this however!). Why? Because the blues requires you to feel. The notes can be very simple but the vibrato, the way you hit the strings, and the notes you pick at the right time all make a huge impact. So I stay start with that. It sucks because it might not be sweet or fast or Scarified string-skipping arpeggio madness from Hell...but realize that Paul didn't start out playing crazy things.

He started out with a band that I think is a GREAT starting point: The Beatles. Everything you need to learn about basic to advanced chords and basic-intermediate leads (hell, even advanced leads, check out the slide solo to "Free As A Bird") that are FULL of feel (the solo in "Something") are found in Beatles songs. I'm serious and I'd put about $100 that Paul would agree. Also, it's not just about hitting the notes. You need to dial in the tone too and the Beatles didn't use much gain, which will help you be cleaner, sound better, and have more dynamics. So I recommend them....

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]