View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 "wolf note" 
King Of The Monsters

Post "wolf note"
Hi!

I wanted to share with you something that happened to me today.

As you know, I bought a MusicMan SMY2D guitar, which was set up by me yesterday. While playing, I noticed that the frequence produced by the "B" note (12th fret @ 2º string) was cancelled by the guitar. I played it in any fret (16th fret @ 3º string, 21th fret @ 4º string, etc) and it always produces the same rare effect: it starts good, but after 1 or 2 seconds it produces a pitch and then fades out.

Doing some research online, I came to notice that this is called as a "wolf note", which seems to be inherent to some kinds of instruments, specially because of the wood. The strange thing is, in case I put some extra weight on the headstock, this "wolf note" gets cancelled.

Just wanted to see if anyone has been through the same issue, if they could solve it (and how)...

Image Image

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Post Re: "wolf note"
One of my Ibanezs, the real thin one, had a strange problem with the low E fading out on sustain much faster than any of the other open strings. I didn't know why this was happening, but it bugged me! It just sounded dead. My other Ibanez had the same type of vibrato system, & it didn't have that problem.

Finally, a few years later, I had the vibrato taken out of the Ibanez Saber, & a bridge & tailpiece put in, with a brass nut near the headstock.

The sustain on the low E, as well as all the other strings improved drastically!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:19 am
King Of The Monsters

Maybe that "extra weight" was what improved the sustain....

But the strange thing about this thing is that "just" the exact note is experiencing the problem, which is the B note above the 12th fret...

Image Image

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Does it do the same when you press the guitar onto yourself? Away from your body?

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Superhero

lower your pickups maybe?

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:28 pm
King Of The Monsters

It has nothing to do with pickup height (sadly).

It produces the same "sound" or effect whether I have the guitar lying on the bed, pressed to my body (as playing in a "live" situation) or if I take it by the fretboard and play that "frequency", without touching the body itself.

The most strange thing is that just "one" frequency (the one produced by the B note) gets cancelled. If I have it on standard tuning, then its the note played in the 12th fret of the B string, but if I tune that particular string to Ab or even AD (or, for that purposes, in C), the issue will happen wherever the "B" note is supposed to be...

It is like a damn riddle...

Image Image

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFiJXIA70U0 , you can make a home made version yourself and clamp it behind the bridge on the faulty string or you could try stuffing the control cavity with a ton of cotton/foam to alter the resonating freq of your body (I'm kinda curious myself whether this would work so give it a shot :P).

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:13 pm
King Of The Monsters

The other thing that would work in this case is the "fatfinger", which is a "sustain enhancer" made by fender, whose aim is to re-balance the weight of the guitar, adding more weight to the headstock, and therefore cancelling this annoying problem.

But having spent a lot of money on the guitar, clearly i don´t want to put something that will cover the headstock...

Image Image

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Guitarp77 wrote:
The other thing that would work in this case is the "fatfinger", which is a "sustain enhancer" made by fender, whose aim is to re-balance the weight of the guitar, adding more weight to the headstock, and therefore cancelling this annoying problem.

But having spent a lot of money on the guitar, clearly i don´t want to put something that will cover the headstock...

It's a shame that the guitar made it through QC in that state considering its prestige and cost... Have you contacted the retailer?

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:56 pm
King Of The Monsters

Zae wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

It's a shame that the guitar made it through QC in that state considering its prestige and cost... Have you contacted the retailer?

Yup, I sent an email to them on Friday, and wrote the problem on the MM forum.

Will see what they have to say.

The issue is that after paying almost 2k for a gorgeous guitar, with a beautiful headstock, I don´t know if I have to "dress" it with elements just to fix an issue that, at least when it come to guitars, is pretty rare...

I´m travelling to the US on November, so maybe that will be a good chance to change the guitar or something like that.

Everybody says that the MM cust serv is great, so I hope they live up to their reputation!

Image Image

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Does the note feedback quickly in front of a loud amp?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 am
Motorman

This isn't quite the same problem, but once during a musical I played, the overhead lights would occasionally vibrate quite fast while the band was playing. They tried to figure out what it was, and it turned out that the sympathetic frequency of the metal things the lights were mounted on was the same as my low E only, so whenever I hit one I caused it. Kind of interesting stuff. I'm sorry about your guitar, I hope you find a way around it

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 am
King Of The Monsters

Jerhova wrote:
Does the note feedback quickly in front of a loud amp?

Haven´t tried the particular note in front of a loud amp.

I tried the pickups though, and the middle pickup did a very loud feedback sound, without even picking a single note...

Tomorrow I have a tech that´s coming, and we´ll see if it has anything to do with some of the common errors of guitar setup. As long as it doesn´t involve tools, we´ll see what happens...

Image Image

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Hi Guitarp77,

Does this happen on other guitars or even when you play this guitar through another amp? Sometimes an amp cabinet can cancel out certain frequencies.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:03 pm
King Of The Monsters

Bingefeller wrote:
Hi Guitarp77,

Does this happen on other guitars or even when you play this guitar through another amp? Sometimes an amp cabinet can cancel out certain frequencies.

It does not happen on the PGM, played through the same amp/cab I have at home.

And it didn´t happened in 3 other guitars I played in a friend´s home through a Marshall combo. But the problem persisted on my guitar...

This is very intriguing...will see what happens.

Image Image

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]