View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Can anybody let me know, how they think i'm getting on 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Can anybody let me know, how they think i'm getting on
Firtsly, I've only been playing for just under two years and seriously practising for about a few months. At the moment, under Petrucci's RD, I can sub divide into 32 notes at 66 bpm, fairly well now, with only minimal noise and missing notes, I can also do the chromatic exercises at 136pm with four notes a beat, (let us know if both are good for the amount of time playing.) I have been practising usually between 3 and 5 hours a day depending on how i'm getting on, (not as much as some, if you think I should do more let me know.)

Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:23 pm
King Of The Monsters

KEEP PRACTICING!!!
DOn´t worry, I think you´re going very well....

Image Image

Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

Post Re: Can anybody let me know, how they think i'm getting on
Sapper wrote:
Firtsly, I've only been playing for just under two years and seriously practising for about a few months. At the moment, under Petrucci's RD, I can sub divide into 32 notes at 66 bpm, fairly well now, with only minimal noise and missing notes, I can also do the chromatic exercises at 136pm with four notes a beat, (let us know if both are good for the amount of time playing.) I have been practising usually between 3 and 5 hours a day depending on how i'm getting on, (not as much as some, if you think I should do more let me know.)

That's all very nice. But can you play a song? :twisted:

Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Technical proficiencey develops often in fits and spurts. So don't even worry about how long it takes you or how far along you are comparted to oethers. The important thing is that you keep practicing. It's like when you learn sweeping, all of a sudden it generally just clicks, and you move from not being able to do it to doing it fairly well. I know there is some article Satch wrote about development that you kindof come up to walls and need to really pursue pushing yourself into the next big realm. Basically... just practice and it will happen. Nothing is ever unattainable if you think of it correctly.

Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:45 pm
King Of The Monsters

TheSurgeon wrote:

Wow...that´s a good question.
In songwriting is where you´re able to see if you are a good musician or not.
There´s a great difference between playing and composing.
But, don´t be afraid dude, it´s hard sometimes to lay things down.

Image Image

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:41 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Thanks people, all constructive advice, and i'll keep on practising every hour that is actually possible, until i die. Can I play songs, I can play many songs, but of the whole shred genre, very few in full, I can play most of Steve Vai's Liberty and FTLOG (not the nerve shredding fast bits) and I can play some stach, yngwie and gilbert licks, but not in full. As for writing sngs in that style, for a beginner its damn hard, and being in a band that doesn't like shred just rock, makes it harder, byt hey, i'm always.

Thanks people, just hope I get there :wink:

Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

If there is ONE song that helped me more than anything to learn straight through, it's Yngwie's far beyond the sun. Just because of the diversity of riff styles and techniques you have to use to perform it. From switching off, to tough timing pedal licks, string skips, and there are like key changes to every freakin key in that song, so that gives you a great opportunity to both analyze when and why keys change, how certain key changes sound, and what cool transitions between keys you can use. If you are familiar with the song I suggest learning it. I threw myself at it soon after mastering the Master of Puppets leads... so it was a bit of a task, but it REALLY paid off.

Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:33 pm
Viking Kong

TheSurgeon wrote:
Sapper wrote:

LMAO!

Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:54 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Post You're doing fine...
Don't judge your playing ability by what we think, rather, set goals for yourself. Everyone digests things at a different pace. The amount of time you've been playing is not as important as the quality of your practice sessions.

And no one's opinion is as important as your own. Tape yourself when you practice, listen for mistakes, take notes(while listening to the tape) on where YOU think improvement is needed. Play everything with conviction, that is, like YOU wrote it. Cover songs, whatever. But most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Daniel

Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]