View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Amp Suggestions 
Godzilla

Post New Amp Suggestions
Okay, quite frankly I'm stumped.

I might need an amp soonish for gigging/recording and my Laney VC15 (I love the clean tone on it) isn't gonna be quite up to the sorta songs I've been writing for the band. Ideally I'd buy a MB dual rectifier but at about £1300-2000 (from what I've seen looking around the net) is just too much for just the head (I don't even have a cab).

But it's that sorta punchy in your face MB dual rectifier distorted style I'm looking for. Gonna be looking at around the £400-800 mark seeing as this is probably gonna be of more importance than going for a new guitar if the band properly comes together (shame as I really wanted a Kotzen Strat!). Anywho, I'm gonna be going down to Denmark Street (for those of you who don't know, us Londoners have an entire street's worth of overpriced guitar stores), and was hoping people could give me some advice what I should try out? Already on my list is the Peavey 6505+ combo.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: New Amp Suggestions
A VC50?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

They still make those? If so I'll go try one :)

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 pm
Viking Kong

They don't make those anymore, but you can try and find an used one.

Also, I don't know about the combos, but I played a Carvin Master Series (which are no longer made as well) and they sounded great.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:32 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

if your looking for the rectifier sound, you might look at this amp aswell:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Fame-Bulldozer-Head-/art-GIT0010095-000

its supposed to sound like an dual recti.

if i remember correctly bugera is also dishing out a recti copy soon.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

I have a VC 50 that i would sell. I'm not actively looking to get rid of it but if you're interested message me.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 am
Godzilla

I need to go try some amps out as I haven't tried a higher gain Laney. At the moment from researching a bit last night I might be looking at a single recto second hand then saving for a cab (gonna go try one), or possibly a Bogner Alchemist second hand (again need to try).

Others I intend to test:
Orange... something. I don't know much about Orange amps, but I hear they're good.
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Valve King

Other suggestions?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:45 pm
Viking Kong

I just got a VC50, it has dud tubes. New tubes are coming soon. I'll tell you what it's like. I'll try doing a recording.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm
Viking Kong

If you can afford a used single recto that would be a great choice. I got mine used about 7 or 8 years ago. It has just as much gain on tap as a dual or triple, and you can get good tones at slightly lower volumes.

In europe mesa's can be pretty expensive. I think there is one model of Framus that sounds kind of like a recto, I forget which model. Since those are made in Germany it might be cheaper than a Mesa.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 pm
Godzilla

Zae, we're defo gonna need videos of your new amp dude :)

xjustice09x wrote:
If you can afford a used single recto that would be a great choice. I got mine used about 7 or 8 years ago. It has just as much gain on tap as a dual or triple, and you can get good tones at slightly lower volumes.

In europe mesa's can be pretty expensive. I think there is one model of Framus that sounds kind of like a recto, I forget which model. Since those are made in Germany it might be cheaper than a Mesa.

I'm thinking it's gonna have to be a Mesa Recto. I've had a craving for that sound for so long lol. The Framus Cobra isn't that much cheaper that a dual Recto, but was worth a look (plus the firey glowing innards are awesome!). I'm going to have to see what's happening with my band first (but we're actually sounding pretty good, though we still need a rhythm guitarist sorted and we need to try out this singer we're looking at).

I intend to go have fun testing them all out though. Going there at some point with my bassist cause he's decided it might be a good idea for him to actually own a bass so I'm gonna go help him out with that, thus he's gonna have to endure my amp testing (shouldn't be too hard for him considering he's a guitarist too).

Cheers for the help guys. Feel free to throw out more suggestions for me to test out though! :)

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:07 am
Viking Kong

AzzaDutt wrote:
us Londoners have an entire street's worth of overpriced guitar stores

No, we have a street selling mostly Marshalls and Fenders! :P
There are some shops with a good variety of boutique pedals... Even the guitar ranges are pretty limited, though.
Soho Soundhouse and Sound Control stocked huge ranges but both closed... about 4ish years ago. One of my bandmates worked in Sound Control and so I used to spend hours just playing everything without fear of being told to get out! :P
If I was amp shopping (and bear in mind that I live in London) I would get on the train to GAK or Andertons to have a much better selection.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

dave5150 wrote:
AzzaDutt wrote:
us Londoners have an entire street's worth of overpriced guitar stores

No, we have a street selling mostly Marshalls and Fenders! :P
There are some shops with a good variety of boutique pedals... Even the guitar ranges are pretty limited, though.
Soho Soundhouse and Sound Control stocked huge ranges but both closed... about 4ish years ago. One of my bandmates worked in Sound Control and so I used to spend hours just playing everything without fear of being told to get out! :P
If I was amp shopping (and bear in mind that I live in London) I would get on the train to GAK or Andertons to have a much better selection.

I agree with the limited range, but it's worth a shot seeing as I'm going there anyways to help pick a bass, plus I might ask if they have any jobs going as I could use the cash. I think I remember seeing a Mesa or two last time I was there, and we'll see what else they have. I agree, I probably will have to end up travelling to test out some of the ones I want to.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm
Dr. X

Blackstar, go check out now. ;) HT series should fit your budget, and give you great tones.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:39 pm
Dr. X

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3series.php

Carvin V3. I've got one. HIGH-Gain, Mesa esque tones. 3 channels + footswitchable boost

2x12 Combo - $1100

Half-Stack - $1300

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm
Godzilla

rossalex wrote:

Carvin V3. I've got one. HIGH-Gain, Mesa esque tones. 3 channels + footswitchable boost

2x12 Combo - $1100

Half-Stack - $1300

They're really hard to find in the UK :(

Has anyone tried a Peavey XXX or JSX?

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:45 am
Viking Kong

rossalex wrote:

2x12 Combo - $1100

Half-Stack - $1300

Do you know if they're similar to the old Master Series???

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

As you know Azza, i've been through a lot of amps....

I've settled on a Laney VH100R. Great amp! Sounds especially good with single coils!

Other amps worth looking in to

ENGL Powerball
Laney VC50
Marshall JVM210/410 = A very very good amp. Only downside is the cruch channel, the lead and clean channels are to die for.

With regards to Orange, I'd probably stay clear. They are great amps but way too dark sounding for my taste. saying that my Rockerverb 100 had 6V6's and not EL34's.

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 pm
Dr. X

LonePhantom wrote:
Blackstar, go check out now. ;) HT series should fit your budget, and give you great tones.

+1

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:26 pm
Dr. X

If you find that you like the Peavey 6505+, I've actually got one I'm considering selling :)
One balls to the wall amp if you ask me.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

scarified909 wrote:
If you find that you like the Peavey 6505+, I've actually got one I'm considering selling :)
One balls to the wall amp if you ask me.

I'm gonna try one, but I'm not crazy enough to pay all the import taxes etc. to get one from Cali to the UK I'm afraid dude. :P

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next