View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Technique Elitism : Legato & Picking 
Queen Dork of the board

Post Technique Elitism : Legato & Picking
Paul mentioned this in his 2010 Manifesto... an old debate among guitarists. In this case, the debate rages.

The debate seems to be: what's "better" - picking a bunch of notes, or "resorting to legato" to attain those notes?

I'm sure Allan Holdsworth would voice a much different opinion then Al DiMeola.

So what's up with the elitism? Is it somehow inferior or wrong to "rely on legato"? (Are legato notes like gimp notes or something? Is it "cheating"?) I'm curious why any artist would shun a creative technique.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:16 am
Superhero

Post Re: Technique Elitism : Legato & Picking
I dunno, I kindah always thought that alternate picking is just way harder and more accurate if done correctly than legato. But after 2 years of playing alternate picking only I realised I still need to practice other things and maybe write some music so I resolve to picking/legato technique now.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I usually do Shuffle Picking as I would call it. Legato with some picking thrown in there.
It really depends on what kind of sound you're after. Percussive vs smooth.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 am
Dr. X

What's the "manifesto" you're referring to?

And in any case, they're just different ways of making notes come out of an instrument so...
Plus to me they just translate different feelings, as I love how aggressive picking sounds, but also the smoothness of legato.

I probably didn't answer the question, but there are my two cents ;)

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:35 am
God Of The Sun

oh dear, you'd never guess this thread was started by a non musician would you :roll:

anyone that uses the term "better" when describing music is a moron, there is no unit of measurement! Things that I like, other people dont (ie Mr. Big), and there are plenty of things that people love that i cant stand (Fuzz Universe) and those are two examples of the SAME player!

One is not harder than the other either, sure picking like Paul isnt easy but having the strength and dexterity of hand to play legato (and i mean TRUE legato) like Holdsworth and Harrison is just as hard. I could even debate that its harder as fewer people have taken the time to master it, but chances are people spend more time on picking because they prefer the sound.

I myself like the sound of legato more, my favourite player is Brett Garsed, a true master of legato. Its just a smoother sound and can get me closer to the sound of instruments I love (Sax)

Try swing picking, this is the art of, wherever possible, picking weaker beats (so 2+4 of a 16th note passage) and hammering or pulling to the strong beats, takes time to get your head around but the result gives you a certain feel... unacomplishable to a technique snob

But SURELY there cant be an answer to the question; as both are merely methods of articulation? If they sounded the same then there could be a point in debating this, but they dont. I myself (as i mentioned) like the sound of legato; and when i do need to pick a passage i favour economy picking, to me it sounds slightly smoother than alternate picking.... but when i rip out my super rock solos in Hellcat Molly there are certain lines i alternate pick for the aggressive sound

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

flying-dino wrote:
So what's up with the elitism? Is it somehow inferior or wrong to "rely on legato"? (Are legato notes like gimp notes or something? Is it "cheating"?) I'm curious why any artist would shun a creative technique.

Elitism? I've never known there to be any Elitism. The only thing I can think of that is looked down upon is maybe when alternate picking isn't done correctly. When instead of the picking hand being locked into the fretting hand and picking every note that the fretting hand is hitting, the picking hand is totally over picking giving the illusion of speed when the player isn't actually playing that many notes. But this is usually done by players who haven't played that long, it comes off sloppy and anyone who has any experience playing or listening to guitar can usually see right throught it.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:16 pm
God Of The Sun

http://fr.video.yahoo.com/watch/737631/3220699

but of course those 13 year old boys can seem to see past how hard they are...

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

MissMisstreater wrote:
http://fr.video.yahoo.com/watch/737631/3220699

but of course those 13 year old boys can seem to see past how hard they are...

That sounds horrible. That's the sound kittens make when you throw them in a blender.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:42 pm
God Of The Sun

what Levi said

or to sum it up: You need to do both and everything in between to make every note sound the way you want it
one of the reason why the guitar is such a great instrument is because you have countless ways to express every note and you better try to use all that's available

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]