View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Paul getting his own Dimarzio signature pickup! 
Motorman

Post Paul getting his own Dimarzio signature pickup!
From the mouth of Larry Dimarzio himself:

Quote:
Why hasn't Paul designed a signature pickup yet? (friendly question)

Quote:
Hi, We (DiMarzio) are releasing one for Christmas this year. It is called the "Injector." Thanks for your comment and your support. All the best, Larry DiMarzio

Source: http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet? ... O72apV8npA

I can only wonder what it's going to be like. Probably a single coil? I heard a while ago the single coils he has in his Fireman haven't been the Area 67s that were originally in the guitar for quite a while, but have been something custom from Dimarzio, so maybe that's what this is going to be.

Let the speculation commence.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:40 am
Queen Dork of the board

Post Re: Paul getting his own Dimarzio signature pickup!
Hah I knew it! Great news and super find, Parlance! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Paul had a mysterious photo shoot on Aug. 26 for DiMarzio. Normally he doesn't do that sort of thing just for fun.

Paul was saying, regarding the pickup, that the code name in emails traded between Mr. DiMarzio and himself, was the HS-3 or something (I guess they are now called Injectors, from reading your post) ... and they are a hum-cancelling single coil. They are in the Red Fireman.

I hope he brings that guitar wth him on tour. Why? Coupled with his sig. pedals and Marshall VM, the pickups sound BADASS. Meaty, throaty, crunchy, rich goodness. This is my opinion. YMMV.

Can't wait to see the unveil, maybe at Winter NAMM '11?
Of course, if he brings the Red Fireman axe on tour with him, we'll hopefully hear a lot from them a lot sooner. (and in the gritty live setting... *awesomeness awaits us*)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 am
Motorman

Well the HS-3 is a real pickup. Compared to the Area 67s it has more of a mid-range range and bass response, though like most single coils it's not nearly what you'd call "fat". It wouldn't surprise me if the HS-3 became Paul's signature as the "Injector", having played with 67s I definitely found myself wanting something warmer for anything high gain and I'm sure Paul would kind of sense that too. It's nice to have the glassy and sparkling high end for a vintage tone, but you still need oomf there for heavier stuff.

That said I guess we don't really know if that's what's happening or if they were just referring to it as an HS-3 for some other reason. It could be a even be a modified HS-3 or something else entirely. It'd be enlightening to see the context of those emails. Do you have a source for that Jenn?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:25 am
Motorman

Ah, can't edit. I forgot I wanted to say it wouldn't surprise me if it was the HS-3 or some derivative because I'm betting Dimarzio wants to fill the endorsement void in their popular (at least, as far as all their single coils go) HS-x single coil line after Yngwie's departure.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:27 am
Dr. X

parlance wrote:
It'd be enlightening to see the context of those emails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxBLErTXUw - "HS-5"

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 am
Queen Dork of the board

silentbob777 is correct! The YouTube video is the source of the quotes from Paul (although I was told by a fan). Thank you for adding that valued tidbit to the thread!

(I knew I had the number wrong, but it didn't matter because the pickup has been renamed Injector according to DiMarzio themselves. So you get the point.)

The theory about DiMarzio needing to fill the void after Yng's departure is an interesting and good one. People have been clamoring for Paul to make a sig. pickup for a while, so it might be one of those "both theories are correct" moments: it could have been pure timing, and/or it could be to fill that Yng-void... :)

Will 2011 be another Year Of Paul? With all the products, re-releases, and tours - potential/speculated and actual - coming up, it may very well shape up to be. *crosses fingers*

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:41 am
Superhero

Great news!

Makes me wish they released a humbucker type pick-up too. Unless people just start putting single coil in the humbucker cavity like Paul did with his Dino RG :P

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

That's really nice!

But I kindda don't like all the signature stuff artists get these days... you get a nice pedal, and imediately you are a Zakk Wylde fanboy...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
Queen Dork of the board

From my readings, being a product endorser is one of the only ways left to make a steady income in music, for professionals! Fans bootleg shows & shirts, they download the albums... but there's no way to download a pedal or pickup. Of course, a 'patch' that simulates it could be downloaded to a POD or something, but not the actual item. Fandom aside, it's good for the endorsers.
If you're touchy about looking like a fanboy, you could always spray paint the pedal (except the control markings, hehe) flat black or something, so nobody could tell what it was.

Anyway the video link was broken. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO72apV8npA

It is the top / first comment right now and it's exactly as Parlance says. He delivers!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:41 pm
Viking Kong

Yeah, I realize that too. In the past few years, the amount of the "signature" lines has increased drastically!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]