View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 GOING ALL OUT!!! amp help 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post GOING ALL OUT!!! amp help
Hey , gettin a marshall vintage modern 50watt combo and i need help decideing what stomp box to get and i want to get close to pauls new sound and old sounds . i know he uses the ocd and other various drive and boost pedals . i know i want the detox never been able to try the ocd . but the THD hotplate is really whats buggin me. i read on a marshall form that the 8 ohm will screw the power of the amp up and damage it later on and to fix that you need to run a 16 ohm in the amp it would still sound good and save the amp
but i see paul running the purple hotplate thru the marshalls and i think thats the 8 ohm which is designed for that purpose . so do i chance that or is there a tech here that really knows the specs? the person on the form sounded like they did but i would understand better in laymens terms i cant find the link now for some reason but anyway any help would be appreciated

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: GOING ALL OUT!!! amp help
sms5150 wrote:
the THD hotplate is really whats buggin me. i read on a marshall form that the 8 ohm will screw the power of the amp up and damage it later on and to fix that you need to run a 16 ohm in the amp it would still sound good and save the amp
but i see paul running the purple hotplate thru the marshalls and i think thats the 8 ohm which is designed for that purpose . so do i chance that or is there a tech here that really knows the specs? the person on the form sounded like they did but i would understand better in laymens terms i cant find the link now for some reason but anyway any help would be appreciated

Looking at the Vintage modern manual
Quote:
SPEAKER Outputs (11)
There are 5 speaker outputs available on the
rear panel. They are labelled according to the
intended impedances:
16 Ohm: connect any 16 Ohms guitar cabinet to
this jack.

8 Ohm: connect a single 8 Ohms guitar cabinet
or two 16 Ohms guitar cabinets.

4 Ohm: connect a single 4 Ohms guitar cabinet
or two 8 Ohms guitar cabinets.

As long as you plug the 8 ohm hotplate to the 8 ohm output jack it will work fine.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

i read that it would screw it up do to the design of the vintage modern if i rember right .

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:56 pm
Superhero

My first bit of advice would be not to get the vintage modern :lol:

You seen how many pedals Paul runs through it? 3 Distortion pedals :P

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:33 am
Viking Kong

sms5150 wrote:
i read that it would screw it up do to the design of the vintage modern if i rember right .

Its designed to work with a load between 4 and 16 ohms. If it really screwed things up Marshall wouldn't design it that way. They could have easily left the 8 ohm jack off the amp.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:23 am
Motorman

I get the impression that most amp manufacturers (with the exception of Dr. Z) are wary of telling people they can use attenuators. I'm sure it's to reduce their accountability if someone has a a problem as a result of using one (I mean, your tubes will not last as long with one).

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:00 am
is evil...Evil Joe

well like paul says its better for his ears and not easy for the fingers and thats what ever guitar player should stand by but you do need a rockin tone to pull some stuff off hah

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]