View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 I took it apart. 
Viking Kong

Post I took it apart.
The guitar, that is.

Now what shall I do to it? :twisted:

Give you a low down. I think its a GRX40. I figure it's not worth upgrading a huge deal. It's very basic. But it rocks. Not going for a new guitar just yet. I guess.

So I saw this. I removed the cavity cover. Easy. Scratching some of the thin paint, there's some kind of metallic like coat behind it? No idea what that is. Perhaps primer.

So then I was curious and removed my bridge, which is a cheapy "vintage" trem. Likely die cast, that block of metal hardly looks meaty and feels like tapping stone. Not much substance to it. Everything feels very die cast, too.

Next, unscrewed the beck. Regular block/rectangular heel. Scraps of paint still there. Should I do things around this area?

Uncover the scratchplate, pickups attached and all, low and behold, dust of the saw and normal kind. Also loads of necessary paint. Tone Potentiometer is covered in tape (That was probably me fixing something I did bad at some point?), but I'll be getting a soldering iron for that soon. What else can I do? Replace wiring/resoldering, better grounding? How cheap are new good quality pots and whatever?

It's HSS and seems to be in series. I like the single coils. They have a unique warmth and crystalness (not at the same time). Humbucker sounds very average/standard. I'm no expert.

Also feel like getting a black pickguard.

Also, Christ, the sawdust, everywhere that I've uncovered.

Anyway. I was bored. I took it apart. Maybe it'll sound better afterwards. But hey, with no guitar, I won't get distracted from revising this week :D

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 pm
Motorman

Post Re: I took it apart.
I may be wrong, but I think that sometimes the paint or finish in the control cavities is done with a certain kind of paint to shield what's in there from interference, so that might be some of what you were describing.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 am
Viking Kong

Grant wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think that sometimes the paint or finish in the control cavities is done with a certain kind of paint to shield what's in there from interference, so that might be some of what you were describing.

Oh that makes sense. From what I can hear from the signal, it's not all too great. Maybe some aluminium foil could sort that?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:01 pm
Viking Kong

Screw it, gonna make the bridge float. Wish me luck, I'm sure those springs will take my eyes out. :roll:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]