View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Tremel-No: Too Good To Be True? 
Motorman

Post Tremel-No: Too Good To Be True?
I hate changing strings on the floyd rose on my JEM...i was thinking i should install a tremel-no on it. However, I was reading up on it and am still confused.

1. Can I switch between having the tremel-no on and off? So i can turn it on when changing strings, ann then *simply* turn it off when im normally playing and doing whacky vai pull-ups and downs on the bar? or is turning it on and off a really convoluted problem.

2. does it affect the tone at all of the guitar when the tremel-no is on? (im assuming increased sustain at least) how about when it's off?

3. can i still use the bar for dips and dives and only down-related maneuevers when the tremel-no is on?

thanks! this might be the solution to my problems HOPEFULLY.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 am
Viking Kong

This should answer all your questions. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:14 am
Dr. X

2. No.
3. Yes, if you set it up right.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:27 am
Motorman

Yeah, I saw the vid but the naturally paranoid part of me didn't trust it because it was a product video done by the creator. I wanted to see if it was really that good or there were some problems with it that the creator obviously didn't want to mention. One thing I heard was that the screws aren't strong enough and move if you hit the bridge by accident.

Oh, and another reason I don't really trust product vids by the creators is because of the Vai video demonstrating the Jemini pedal. When he starts soloing with the red side, for example, you can clearly hear him using other unmentioned effects that is affecting the tone. Now, I always think there's some other behind-the-scenes magic going on in product vids by the inventors themselves.

I know it sounds weird but I just wanna make sure haha, thank you!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 am
Viking Kong

One thing I heard was that the screws aren't strong enough and move if you hit the bridge by accident.

I could see that happening if you can't tighten the thumb screws tight enough. I think in normal situations the thumb screws would probably hold up fine. If you really want to tighten things down you could replace them with some allen bolts. The downside is that you would have to use an allen wrench to tighten and loosen it, so you couldn't easily make a quick change mid song.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:52 am
Motorman

JohnStamos wrote:
One thing I heard was that the screws aren't strong enough and move if you hit the bridge by accident.

I could see that happening if you can't tighten the thumb screws tight enough. I think in normal situations the thumb screws would probably hold up fine. If you really want to tighten things down you could replace them with some allen bolts. The downside is that you would have to use an allen wrench to tighten and loosen it, so you couldn't easily make a quick change mid song.

I have one of these and they provide you with screws as well as thumb screws
It really is handy as you can do country type bends and everything is in tune

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

oh i forgot to tell you that if you use 7 string the tremel-no is not strong enough to keep it in fixed bridge mode

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:41 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

^^I have a tremol no on my 7 string and I didn't have any problems to put it to fixed bridge mode

however I hardly use it
There is no noticeable increase in sustain, it kind of dampens some of the floyd airy treblyness away, so it appears to decrease sustain

could be just with my guitar though

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 am
God Of The Sun

simple

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

The tremol-no, like many things, is too good to be true.. except it actually is true!! GET ONE!!

Have we failed you before? :)

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

^^I have a tremol no on my 7 string and I didn't have any problems to put it to fixed bridge mode

however I hardly use it
There is no noticeable increase in sustain, it kind of dampens some of the floyd airy treblyness away, so it appears to decrease sustain

could be just with my guitar though

what gauge strings do you have on your seven?
I took my one off my seven to put on my six as I find that I use a too low of a gauge for the low B and the remel no forces you to have only one spring on the bass side

but if you have a six I think it works brilliantly

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:05 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

though i must jump in an point out, dont get it to make restringing easier

its not designed to take the strain of all the springs, its designed to work when the strings energy is balanced by the springs energy

so engaging it on your guitar so you can do pedal steele bends is perfect, the bridge is in equilibrium, therefore the only strain put on the tremol-no is the tiny amounts when you bend. Again, engaging it when you need to drop the low string down a tone is ok, the guitar is in equilibrium, you engage it, detune the low e string and the tremolno takes some of the slack

BUT

in this state the low E string still fights the pull of the springs, and the a,d,g,b,e strings are all at maximum tension

when i restring its disengaged, having it engaged will put strain on the unit, which will eventually cause it to fail on you

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I wouldn't own a guitar with a locking trem if it didn't have a Tremol-no it.

I also do one simple mod I read about on the official boards. I stick single coil pickup springs under the thumbscrews so they don't work their way loose and fall out. The springs keep tension on the screws.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:17 pm
Motorman

ahhhhh nooo! so i cant restring it when its in hardtail mode?

that was the main reason i was getting it..

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 pm
Dr. X

I have to agree with the 7 part. it doesnt have enough grip with the thumbscrews to keep from sliding and going out of tune, and I only use 9's plus a 58 on top. I have it totally locked down with the set screws and its working quite good.

Honestly though, I never really used it and never really found a reason to use it.

Right guitar for the right application > Tremolno

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

ahhhhh nooo! so i cant restring it when its in hardtail mode?

that was the main reason i was getting it..

you can, it just isnt great for the tremol-no

imagine taking all the strings off then trying to pull the bridge up by hand, thats the kinda stress you put it under

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

ahh okay i understand. so in that case, is there ANYTHING out there that I can use that will put the guitar in hardtail mode just for when i restring it, and not endanger it?

maybe if i somehow make the tremel-no stronger or something...

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 am
Motorman

if i restring it, one string at a time rather than taking them all off, won't that help reduce bridge tension?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 am
God Of The Sun

yeah totally, but i just dont see the point in having it unless your planning on using it for what it was designed for.

If you want something PURELY for restringing then it makes more sense to get a clamp to hold the bar down when stringing, or a piece of wood to slot under the bridge when restringing, or just do one string at a time anyway

a tremol-no isnt dirt cheap, so if you want a solution to stringing there are simpler options

the tremol-no should be used for drop tuning, and pedalsteel bending, get the value for money

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Just get a hankie or like a bandana, fold it into something really thick and put it in between the floating bridge and the body. Just dive it first so you could have enough space to put in the piece of cloth and by then, you could remove all the strings and the floyd won't eat in to the wood.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]