View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 cool new pg vids :) 
is evil...Evil Joe

Is it just me or has Paul shredded himself into a corner? Hear me out, I'm a P.G fan and gave been for years but it seems lately that hes gotten repetative. Same old tricks, nothing new. We all know hes probably the best alternate picker that there is but I think he needs a couple of "new" tricks to slay us with. Fire away.

Thanks

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:23 am
Search Button God!

Is it just me or has Paul shredded himself into a corner?

It's just you.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:59 am
God Of The Sun

Is it just me or has Paul shredded himself into a corner? Hear me out, I'm a P.G fan and gave been for years but it seems lately that hes gotten repetative. Same old tricks, nothing new. We all know hes probably the best alternate picker that there is but I think he needs a couple of "new" tricks to slay us with. Fire away.

Thanks

i agree, but at the same time, stick to what you're good at

if paul released a jazz album we wouldnt like it... lol it would be like "WHERES THE SHRED!!" haha

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

i avtually think he got some new tricks recently. he was very repetitive on the earlt RX days.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:55 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thanks

I agree. But maybe you should be more specific.. If you reflect on his career you'll notice at each stage he had his box that he would tend to get stuck in.. with Racer X he had his (somewhat)melodic hyper shred style, then Mr. Big he got into bluesy penatonics and all that.. etc.. it seems Paul's playing has changed pretty dramatically in the past 2 years. Has anyone else noticed this? Or maybe I'm just imagining. But if you listen to the improvised bits on like the GOMY dvd (and live concert) they're VERY straight forward shred it up licks... then listen to some more recent live solos on one of the millions of jam vids on youtube you'll probably be able to tell a difference. I think he's tried recently to play more melodically but still keep that shred flare.. he's still sticking to a lot of the same licks.. but they're different licks than before.

let me know if I'm the only one who's noticed this.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Actually Eric, I was lying in bed last night, and thinking about Paul's playing.

It actually just started off thinking about each of the Racer X band members, and thinking about how they've 'travelled' to now. When I thought of Paul's playing, it always had his own personality, but lately it's... been a lot more diverse. He has really different sounds as of late.

I can't really say Paul is all shred, like I used to think, because it just wouldn't feel right saying that. There's more thought behind it.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:47 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yeah definitely. Whether it's a good or bad thing is something to be discussed though. I dug the attitude and shred of the Space Ship One/GOMY era. But then when you listen to the G3 jams and compare them to the jams at the Guitar Generation show it's obvious instead of throwing down licks he's actually thinking of what he's playing.

But we all know that the best licks Paul ever played were on Technical Difficulties, Superheroes, and Getting Heavier. :)

Zae wrote:
Actually Eric, I was lying in bed last night, and thinking about Paul's playing.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry.. had to laugh. :P

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Give me a break. I say the worst things at the wrong times. :lol:

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:31 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Mr.death wrote:

Thanks

Agreed, but its nice think outside the box as well and with the latest Paul vids I think he comes up short. Terrifying but predictible.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:36 pm
Viking Kong

MissMisstreater wrote:
Mr.death wrote:

Thanks

Agreed, but its nice think outside the box as well and with the latest Paul vids I think he comes up short. Terrifying but predictible.

But these videos are not recent at all.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:09 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Mr.death wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:
Mr.death wrote:

Thanks

But these videos are not recent at all.

Recent enough.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm
Viking Kong

But we all know that the best licks Paul ever played were on Technical Difficulties, Superheroes, and Getting Heavier. :)

AMEN, Brother!

I myself want to hear Paul play like that again. I don't really care about the "new" soloing he's been doing. I want late 90's Paul back!

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:08 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

. I don't really care about the "new" soloing he's been doing.

Thats cuz you're really gay :D

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I want late 90's Paul back!
Not bad.
I'll raise you 1 with I want late '80s Paul back! :wink:

(Hey, a man can dream.)

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:41 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sir Robin wrote:
. I don't really care about the "new" soloing he's been doing.

Thats cuz you're really gay :D

I guess I'm gay as well. How will I tell my girlfriend. :(

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

I don't relly know where to buy Japanese magazines, I don't think WH Smith's do them in the UK.

i get them off ebay - and i also feel a little strange aboot all these pg-vids surfacing. some of them are ages-old, but still... i think as a fan you should at least try and get your hands on some of the vids. not everything is cost-free in this world.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:54 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Diego, you bring up an interesting point. With "all these" videos being put up, how much of this "Paul becoming predictable" reaction by some fans, is due to overexposure / overlistening?

I can put forth that I practiced a musical immersion of sorts, with Paul's music, in that I listened to it exclusively for several months (well, watched it - on YouTube - the videos that would appear after each show or clinic), and I don't find his work boring in the slightest. I have come to find the predictable patterns and parts of songs, but to me they are just as good as they used to be. See, now I can hum along with the tunes, and I know where all the little quirky notes, or the crazy bends, are going to be. At those times now I don't have to pay so much attention to his hands, and I can watch the rest of the band, or watch how he interacts with the audience, or just take in the sheer joy or intensity he's conveying while playing, etc.

One thing I really appreciate about the (live concert) videos is their diversity. A fan can skip from something like "Scarified" to something like "Blue Train" to something like "Yeah Yeah" to something like "The Gargoyle" in the space of ~15 minutes. I've seen Paul mostly as this sort of blues / rock / adventurous playing sort of fellow... who used to be in a metal band and used to play super-fast at one point. So, some people beg for that speed / metal back, and others don't. It's just my opinion.

+ This whole time, I thought you guys meant these cool new videos, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8hrMk4H40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kttXLjzwFQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCz2OBQrxlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPF4PKxVNug

:)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 am
Viking Kong

there's this one guy who uploaded Paul's GOOMY and SFBADR and Terrufying Guitar Trip entirely.

should we tell youtube about this?

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:03 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I know I wouldn't be too happy about that if I were in Paul's shoes. :?

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 am
Queen Dork of the board

There's more then one user who has uploaded the commercial releases. YouTube won't even check an e-mail and they won't yank the videos even if they've been flagged. It is the most hair-pulling, waste of time, frustrating experience. Only the copyright owner - like the publisher or the person who owns the rights to the material - can get the stuff removed. You could try writing to the publishers and letting them know what's going on.

I'm pretty sure the person who owns the rights to the music of SFBADR and United States is a guy in Los Angeles whom many of us have had the wonderful opportunity to interact with. That Paul guy. :)
... and he does not have a YouTube account. But he doesn't need one to do a DMCA complaint.
... if he's even mad about it. Nobody knows.

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next