View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 My refinished BC Rich ST-III, & new case 
Viking Kong

Post My refinished BC Rich ST-III, & new case
So guys, here is a quick review to bring y'all up to speed. Back in 1987 I bought a brand new BC Rich ST-III. It was my frst REAL guitar (meaning american made/non-budget) and I was totally in love with her! I played the hell out of her on stage and off. Anyway, she was stolen in 92 and I was heartbroken. :(

Every time I would look at some old band pics I would see my ST-III and my heart would actually ache. It was clear I had to have her back. But to get that exact guitar back would be impossible. So I did the next best thing, I bought a ST-III off Ebay back in early 2008 and I've been slowly restoring her to look just like my old one. I replaced the knobs with the top hat style knobs that were stock on my old ST-III (which wasn't as easy as one would think. Former BC Rich master builder Neal Moser was the only one who I found who stocked them...well Ed Roman did too but he wanted something like 15 bucks for a single knob :roll: ) and I replaced the trem with an original Floyd Rose. All I had left to do was have her refinished to that specific blue color. So I grabbed some old pics from my photo album and such, brought her over to Pat Wilkins famous guitar refinishing shop ( http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/ which luckily isn't all that far from me ;) ), gave him some photos and had Pat match the color. He did (and a fantastic job at that too), and I now have her back! :D

The case that came with the guitar off eBay wasn't the original. As a matter of fact it was way too large for the guitar, it kept sliding around inside of it. So I decided that she deserved a new case. I had been eyeing those Postal Monkey cases for a while ( http://www.postalmonkey.com/home.html ), so I brought my guitar into my local Sam Ash to see how well she fit in these cases (like a glove) and picked up one of those for my baby. So below are the pics (which unfortunatly aren't that great of quality, so they don't do the finish much justice). Enjoy!

Yes the Brain Eaters is an actual movie. It was released in 1958 and had a very young Leonard Nimoy in it playing a very old man (believe it or not being the Sci-Fi geek that I am, I actually own it on DVD :P)

The Postal Monkey cases have a nice plush interior and a built-in tuner. They also come with a special pouch built into the storage compartment flap that's made for storing a couple sets of guitar strings so they are out of the way of everything else. The storage compartment also has a tray sectioned off for picks, allen keys, etc.

...and here is my baby. I couldn't get the lighting right, so you'll have to trust me that Pat Wilkins did an incredible job!

...and here are those all too familiar pics of me with my original ST-III back in my 80's Glam days on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood. As you can see, Pat Wilkins did an awesome job og matching the color. :)

So now my next question is how far do I want to take this? Do I want to go further and track down the actual stickers that I had on my original ST-III. I guess I'll just have to see. LOL!!! :lol:

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]