View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Amplitube presets 
Dr. X

Post Amplitube presets
Hi everybody,

I wanted to know if someone is using amplitube 2, and amplitube jimi hendrix edition.
In the hendrix edition there's a modeled amp based on the KT66 tubes, like the 2266 marshall paul uses.

I'd like to have a good preset of gilbert. Anybody ?

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:45 am
Motorman

I've spent a lot of time engineering Paul Gilbert tones out of modeling software but I've never used Amplitube so I can't really help you out.

I'd highly recommend using Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 for your amp and FX processing and Acustica Nebula for your cab / mic impulse response modeling, or if your computer can't handle that load, standard impulses if you are going 100% software.

Mind you after spending a lot of time fucking around with 100% software and never being completely happy with what I had I broke down and bought a real tube amp and went for a hybrid solution.

What I have now is a Blackstar HT-5 head and Pod X3 Live hooked up using "the 4 cable system". Basically I have the guitar plugged into the X3's instrument input and the Blackstar head sits in the X3's effects loop which allows me to model stomp boxes and distortion pedals before the Blackstar's pre-amp, and things like chorus, reverb, delay, before the Blackstar's power amp. It works well because things like pedals and effects are generally much easier to reproduce accurately using software modeling, whereas the hardest / weakest areas you will usually be disappointed with if you model them are the actual tube amp distortion and the cab / mic response.

I'm quite happy with what I have now. I've completely nailed the Paul Gilbert solo tone from Alligator Farm and GOOMY as well as the Racer X Technical Difficulties tone (that Laney chrous-ey tone he's probably best known for). I'd post a recording or something if my playing wasn't dogshit ;( It's always so cliche to post something and say "This is a tone demo! Don't judge my playing!".

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm
Dr. X

I've got a HT-5 head as well. What sort of settings on the amp are you using to get PG like tones?

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 pm
Motorman

It's counterintuitive because Paul's tone is like the polar opposite of what I could call scooped, but my amp settings are:

Lows: 6
Mids: 0
Highs: 6.5
ISF: 0

Gain: 6.25 to 6.5
Volume: Doesn't really make a difference as far as I can tell, the power amp stage doesn't affect the tone much

I think that the ISF setting is what results in it sounding not scooped, no idea how it really works though but I always get the best results with the ISF at 0.

This will probably sound pretty harsh with the included 10" speaker straight out, I do a few other things with my Pod that drastically affects the tone. I'll post the rest of the details of the complete chain when I get home from work.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 pm
Motorman

* Ibanez RG321MH guitar (Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body, fixed bridge, INF3 / INF4 pickups, Ernie ball .10 to .48 strings, D standard tuning, .60mm Orange Jim Dunlop Tortex pick), tone at max, volume at just slightly less than max
-> POD X3 Live instrument input. Gate on, -65dB threshold, 3% decay, no stomp box, Mod on in the pre position set to Sine Chorus, 0.33hz frequency, 80% depth, 50% bass, 78% treble, 87% mix), FX Loop enabled in pre position, 0dB FX Send 15 dB FX return, 100% mix.
-> FX Send on Pod X3 Live goes to input on Blackstar HT-5 head. Blackstar HT-5 Settings: 0 ISF, 6.5 treble, 0 mids, 5.5 bass, 6 gain, overdrive channel selected
-> FX Send on Blackstar HT-5 head goes to FX Return on Pod X3 Live. In the amp / cab settings the amp modeling is disabled (obviously, since that is happening in the loop with my real amp), cab / mic model is enabled however to give a thicker 4x12 voicing as I do not have a real 4x12 cab. Cab model is set to 4x12 1978 Brit Celestion T-75s, mic is set to 57 off axis, room is set to 75%, no reverb, EQ, compresion, or delay.
-> USB from Pod X3 Live to PC. I use Reaper as my DAW / VST Host. Instrument channel set to POD X3 Live Tone 1 L/R stereo input, and I put a Waves Doubler 4 VST with the default settings on top of the whole thing as a finishing touch, which is absolutely critical to the sound.

Yes it's long and stupidly complicated but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound amazing. The only problem is I wish I didn't need that god damn Waves Double VST to get the sound because I'm attached to my computer again, I really wish I had something that sounded similar so my sound could be portable. I'll try to find the time to record some clips or something.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]