View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Noise, Noise, Noise 
Motorman

Post Noise, Noise, Noise
I was recently jamming on my Carvin Legacy and there's a problem I've always been putting up with that I pretty much hate.

Buzzing...noise...feedback, etc. etc.

Basically if I put my Legacy's gain on around 6-ish and the volume to about 4, ill get a buzz from the amp as well as some feedback. I've always wondered, is this normal??

Also, I like to use my Legacy's gain channel like this:

I like to put the gain around 2 (not 2 o'clock, but literally 2, so theres barely any) then I like to boost that for lead with a pedal. Right now I'm using the BB Preamp. On the BB Preamp, I have the gain around 11:30, the volume around 10:45-ish, the treble a little before noon, and the bass a little over noon. What I don't understand is, after I click the BB on, there's a fair amount of feedback and noise!

When I'm muting the strings and putting my hands over the pickups when not playing, then there is just the annoying white noise. Also, when I'm playing, there isn't much feedback however when I approach the lower strings it'll start feedbacking if I stay on one note for more than like 1 second (like if im doing vibrato) or it'll randomly start feedbacking for a sec or two in certain places (i am muting the strings correctly, so that isnt the problem). And it's not the musical kinda feedback, it'll start out that way but then just take over into the 'ugly' frequencies. I also stand a good deal away from my amp, because standing in front of it would exacerbate the problem. I feel like I'm trying to wrestle an elephant and it's hampering my playing because I'm not trying to fight the feedback when my technique is actualy doing what it's supposed to!

I feel like this isn't normal? My cables are good...I'm using an AC adaptor into a surge protector but I'm just running one pedal and theres nothing else plugged into the surge protector. I don't have the Voodoo Labs power supply tihngy. I also feel like my settings on the BB Preamp are quite modest, I'm not doing anything too ridiculously. I'm using the BB over a slightly overdriven amp (the gain is at 2!!) Is there anything you guys could recommend to cut down on the noise?

I have a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor but it takes away the top end of my tone and I'd rather fight the feedback than have the NS-2 negatively affect my tone (though it does a good job at getting rid of noise, even though when I play and vibrato lower notes I still get that quick feedback issue sometimes). I was wondering, how does everyone keep their 'high gain' rig quiet? Also...if I use a Wah with it, then obviously the extra treble can make the amp go crazy if I cock it all the way down too much. How do people manage all these things? I'm not even dialing that much gain in!

I tilted my pickups, raised the treble side of the bridge and lowered the bass side of the bridge, but I don't think this is exactly the issue. It's more noise from the amp and pedal. Any help??

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 am
Viking Kong

I think it's a common issue that using pedals to boost will always add noise to the amp. I'm not sure about the BB Preamp, but I've never heard of boosting typed pedals not adding any noise at all. Sean can probably correct/confirm what I've said.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:49 pm
Viking Kong

Are you using any other pedals? Do you have extra cables and another guitar you could try?

Try and change one thing at a time and you might be able to find the source of the problem. Maybe even try a different surge protector, or plug into a different outlet thats on a different circuit. Maybe try running the boost pedal on batteries instead of a power adapter.

I've had a clean boost get noisy. It used to be nearly silent. Sometimes my fuzz pedal picks up AM radio.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:54 pm
Motorman

Distortion and OD pedals usually add noise, some much more than others. Which AC adapter are you using? If its not made for pedals it will probably add noise.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:58 pm
Motorman

I'm using a power adaptor used for pedals. I'm only running one pedal, the Andy Timmons BB Preamp, over the gain channel. The cables are in good condition, as is the guitar, etc. I'm starting to fear that maybe something is fucked up in the speakers or amp itself? How do I check this.....

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:57 pm
Motorman

Well... I don't know what it is, but... majority of my guitars do not make SOOO much noise, when distorted, that I can't stand :wink: But I got one, pretty old washburn guitar... when I turn the Satchurator, OCD, Ds-1 or whatever it starts to buzz as hell... :wink: but when you start to play the noise isn't really significant :wink: Don't know what it is, but I think I also got it on my guitar :wink:

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 pm
Godzilla

i have an BB preamp, and I'm pretty sure the noise isn't coming from that as it's one of the most quietest distortion pedals i've had/heard.

http://www.soundclick.com/fatigueofheart/

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
I think it's a common issue that using pedals to boost will always add noise to the amp. I'm not sure about the BB Preamp, but I've never heard of boosting typed pedals not adding any noise at all. Sean can probably correct/confirm what I've said.

i can honestly say that i've NEVER run into ANY pedal, be it overdrive or modulation, that didn't add noise to an amplifier.

Boost pedals do one thing...add Gain. I don't care if it is a Keeley Katana CLEAN boost or a BB Preamp or a Boss DS-1, their function is all the same. They add gain. And adding gain creates NOISE. You will always get the noise when you're boosting an already distorted amp.

You say that your settings on the BB are "modest". I know the BB preamp pretty well and know that with the gain at 2 o'clock...that's quite a bit.

I suggest a few things:
1. On the pedal, back off the gain and increase the volume. By doing this, you a introducing more signal into the front end of you amp which will help the tubes distort. With the gain on the pedal up, you are cascading the pedal's distortion into the preamp distortion.
2. you mention feedback. think about standing a little further back from the amp. with high gain, and the amount of volume you are outputting, you can create feedback just by being too close to the amp.

So all-in-all...think about the amount of Gain you have in your signal. That could solve your problems. Hope it helps!

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

i think you misunderstood me. I have the Carvin Legacy's gain at 2. Not 2 o'clock but literally 2. So theres barely any.

On the BB Preamp, I have the gain around 11:30, the volume around 10:45-ish, the treble a little before noon, and the bass a little over noon. I'm starting to think maybe my speakers are fucked up

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:05 pm
God Of The Sun

yo sean,

i think you misunderstood me. I have the Carvin Legacy's gain at 2. Not 2 o'clock but literally 2. So theres barely any.

On the BB Preamp, I have the gain around 11:30, the volume around 10:45-ish, the treble a little before noon, and the bass a little over noon. I'm starting to think maybe my speakers are fucked up

i see.
the only way i can come up with anything is to ask what your entire setup is.
guitar and everything.

but i suggest calling carvin, they're good with their customers.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Somebody change Sean's tag to DUDESIFYOUHAVEPEDALQUESTIONSASKME :wink: It's good we have an equivalent of Lamer's search button tech when it comes to pedals!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:04 am
Dr. X

I have a Carvin Legacy, and while it's not the quietest amp in the world, its never been outrageous, like what your describing. I have the gain at 7 and add a tube screamer in front with the gain at 9oclock and the level all the way up and its got just a tiny tiny buzz, not noticeable at all.

Start at the beginning. Whats your power source like? Plugging into shitty electrical sockets is the most overlooked component to a noisy rig, yet its the one that does the most.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Wow, are you serious? That's a really quiet rig you got there!!

I'm basically just going Guitar into BB into the amp. The BB is powered by an AC adaptor into a surge protector which is plugged into a standard electrical socket. The electricity in my house is good, its a new house and really modern. Is there any way i can check if the speakers are in fact the problem or the head?

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 am
God Of The Sun

Wow, are you serious? That's a really quiet rig you got there!!

I'm basically just going Guitar into BB into the amp. The BB is powered by an AC adaptor into a surge protector which is plugged into a standard electrical socket. The electricity in my house is good, its a new house and really modern. Is there any way i can check if the speakers are in fact the problem or the head?

I really don't think that speakers would necessarily be the problem. If anything, your sound would just suck.

What kind of pickups you got in the guitar? Are they high output?

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

They are DiMarzio Breeds, they came stock with the JEM BRMR. The pickups are tilted on the bridge for higher output on the treble side. I don't think it's too nuts. I could try lowering them back to its stock position but I dunno just how much that will help. I'll try it regardless.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:58 am
God Of The Sun

could be a grounding problem in several points:
- the amps power source
- guitar pickups
- power supply for BB

but i really recommend calling carvin.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

My guitar was buzzing like hell, I rewired it several times, and the only thing I had to do was... get a new cable :D

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

My guitar was buzzing like hell, I rewired it several times, and the only thing I had to do was... get a new cable :D

could very well be.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Have you tried the amp on different sockets around your place, or at someone else's place. Other electrical items on your circuit can cause 60 cycle hum. also try turning off other electrical devices around the house to see what happens.

I have a set of halogen down lights through the living areas in my house. they are powered by separate transformers plugged in in the roof. When the lights closest to my music room are turned on they generate a nasty hum through my amp. I ended up buying a Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger pedal which has helped drastically cut the buzzing going on when the lights are on.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I don't know if it's just the Carvin store... but every Carvin amp I play there is noisy as fuck. Especially the Legacys.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next