View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Anyone Dabbled in.... (vids in 1st post) 
God Of The Sun

Post Anyone Dabbled in.... (vids in 1st post)
Just thought id start a thread for all us "explorers" to post things they are getting upto that you dont really see enough

so here is my current obsession

pentatonic four note per string stuff! love it! got it to 120bpm now :)

im looking to start my next hellcat molly solo with this one, so you can hear it soon, but ultimately this is more just one that you can play through slowly and maybe inspire you to develop it further

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8ENL281LA

excuse the lighting...its dark here!! haha

would love it if you guys had some cool developments that youv been working on for us all to have a look at

DISCLAIMER

can cause guitars to explode
http://racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=18573

ikkes efforts!

Last edited by MissMisstreater on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Nice run, man! I might have a crack at that myself, heh. :D I've got a few ideas I've been working on, maybe I'll toss them up here if I get a chance.

www.myspace.com/shred_lives1980

Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Those are the same runs I stumbled across back in '92. Never saw any tabs for them back then. Just made 'em up.

I've already used some of those runs on a few of my songs I've recorded,
& I also used it on the last forum jam on the key change to A (hint, Eric).

They're a lot of fun!

Last edited by Rich on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 pm
Dr. X

Shawn Lane.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 pm
Motorman

Post Re: Anyone Dabbled in....
MissMisstreater wrote:

Are you using your middle finger to hit the next string (like Reb Beach) :?:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 pm
God Of The Sun

hammer on from nowhere with the 1st finger of the left hand

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

OMFG :!: :D It's damn hard :twisted: :twisted: I thought you're using Beachy method, like I do... so that you'd pull the next string with your ring finger... :shock: Now, that's good :wink: Gotta nail it lol :!:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 pm
Motorman

staying with fast pentatonics, I came up with this lick some time ago:
Slow it sounds like going up your good 'ol pentatonic scale, but you can play it hella fast this way.
It does take some time to get used to the 2 notes and then 3 notes per string.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm
God Of The Sun

OMFG :!: :D It's damn hard :twisted: :twisted: I thought you're using Beachy method, like I do... so that you'd pull the next string with your ring finger... :shock: Now, that's good :wink: Gotta nail it lol :!:

wouldnt that make it EVEN harder?

and thats the spirit ikke!

im playing it now, i used to do something similar

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Ikke, I love it... and it sounds kinda jazzy, when you slide up from 5th to 7th and from 7th to 9th etc... That way you're using only the two of your fingers :wink:

I cannot play it without the ring finger, as the first note (supposed to be played with my index) sounds really mute :wink: I mean... The sound of that note can't get through the previous :twisted:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:02 pm
Motorman

Ikke, I love it... and it sounds kinda jazzy, when you slide up from 5th to 7th and from 7th to 9th etc... That way you're using only the two of your fingers :wink:

I cannot play it without the ring finger, as the first note (supposed to be played with my index) sounds really mute :wink: I mean... The sound of that note can't get through the previous :twisted:

I don't use sliding, but do the whole thing legato as you would with a 3 note per string pattern to speed things up.
But the sliding is also very comfortable especially when your gowing down in that pattern.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:12 pm
God Of The Sun

excuse the lighting, it gives you an idea tho!

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

OMG :wink: It's holy dark in there lol :twisted: Damn :!: :!: :!: I can't do it, I guess my index finger is too weak... :wink:

When you're playing it... after the whole sequence on one string you stay with your tapped finger and hit the next string with your index :wink: Man... How did you keep that clean :?: :wink:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:22 pm
God Of The Sun

haha you need GT mag in 2 months! martin gouldings metal bootcamp will sort that out!

its just about making sure you dont pull off the strings, you release pressure then at the optimum you leave the string, and make sure that all your muting is spot on i guess.

credit to you man if you do it the reb beach way! i tried and it melted my head!!! haha

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

also I like this little arp before going off into a 3 note per string legato frenzy
just sweep pick the first 4 notes and then your of into 3 note per sting land

@ MissMisstreater, that is one terrififying lick!
I'm having a hard time with the hammer ons from nowhere.
I can probably play it with the taps before the 3 other notes like "12t-5-8-10", but that changes the sound of the lick!

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:34 pm
Motorman

Well I "do" Reb Beach thing, but atm I can approximately play it at 60BMP lol (after some minutes spend on it I can play it on 75BMP lol ) :wink: Can't get with those stretches :wink: I get confused with that third stretch lol (I mean, when you have to play it the way you started it, after the Gilbert-o string skipping style lick :P) :shock:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:38 pm
Motorman

I tried to tackle the synth solo from digital love a while back, its very difficult to play on the guitar!
I tabbed out one of the hardest parts, its maybe 95% correct but it is a very playable and nice sounding tapping lick.
It starts of with a pedal tone tapping lick and then goes into a pg style pattern tapping lick going up 3 strings.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:01 pm
Superhero

In these days I'm thinkin' of modal pentatonics and so I use them a lot.
This is a good technique exercise!

Oh, and great playing.
And bad bad lights! I can barely see your axe!

Macek wrote:
When you're playing it... after the whole sequence on one string you stay with your tapped finger and hit the next string with your index :wink: Man... How did you keep that clean :?: :wink:

According to me the only way is to practice a lot at slow speed, focusing of smoothness and accuracy; at some point you'll get the lick smooth (and criminal 8) ). This is the time to speed up the tempo!

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Yeah... I know :wink: But I somehow hate when I have to learn a new lick starting at the tempo of 25% lol (I remember, that when I couldn't play some Gilbert's licks I just stopped with them and then after some time I couldplay them without any practising lol, but it took pretty long :wink:) But this time I'd do it :!: This lick is way to cool to just leave it lol :twisted:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm
Superhero

Yeah... I know :wink: But I somehow hate when I have to learn a new lick starting at the tempo of 25% lol (I remember, that when I couldn't play some Gilbert's licks I just stopped with them and then after some time I couldplay them without any practising lol, but it took pretty long :wink:) But this time I'd do it :!: This lick is way to cool to just leave it lol :twisted:

Yeah, I understand you.
It's 'boring' to start out slow but.. this is the only way to get a smooth playing, in my opinion. And I'm the one who places first smoothness and accuracy, then speed and technique.
Some time ago when I had to learn a lick I'd play it at full speed, regardless of how clean it was. And the results were awful.
Now I'm taking my time and I have no rush. And something better is poppin' in..

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next