View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Marshall realeses new amp! 
Godzilla

Post Marshall realeses new amp!
Marshalls got a new amp! The Class 5

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp ... ode=Class5

It sounds brutally good check the bonamassa video! :D :D

Well im getting one! ;) 8) 8)

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 pm
Godzilla

I saw these a while ago on the Vintage Modern forum.

They do sound good, but I really cant see the point. A 5 watt amp is meant as a practice/bedroom/recording amp. With only one volume knob, the only way to get distortion out of it is to crank it, which is totally impractical for bedroom/practice use. 5 watts can get VERY loud.

If you want distortion at low levels youll need a pedal, in which case you might as well get a Fender or similar that has a great clean sound.

Everyone on the VM forum and the Marshall forum is wanking over these without ever having played one, just purely on the Bonamassa vid and IMO Joe could sound awesome with a cigar box with a rubber band in it.

Im sure theyre great but whats the point?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:30 pm
Dr. X

be sure to post a review when you get yours!! :)

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm
Godzilla

I saw these a while ago on the Vintage Modern forum.

They do sound good, but I really cant see the point. A 5 watt amp is meant as a practice/bedroom/recording amp. With only one volume knob, the only way to get distortion out of it is to crank it, which is totally impractical for bedroom/practice use. 5 watts can get VERY loud.

If you want distortion at low levels youll need a pedal, in which case you might as well get a Fender or similar that has a great clean sound.

Everyone on the VM forum and the Marshall forum is wanking over these without ever having played one, just purely on the Bonamassa vid and IMO Joe could sound awesome with a cigar box with a rubber band in it.

Im sure theyre great but whats the point?

Well as you might see in the bonamassa vid it works great for smaller pub type gigs! i wouldnt ever bring a marshall stack to a small place and make 100 people deaf. Also these amps would work great in a studio enviorment.

I definitely dont think that these amps are made to be used as a practice amp in your bedroom

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:15 pm
Motorman

It seems to me Marshall is trying to add another contender in the renaissance of low-watt amps that's been going on.

I think the amp sounds good, though it doesn't seem like something Bonamassa would actually gig with as I believe he favors the headroom of 100 watt amps (and he has those plexiglass shields for the stage volume).

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:01 pm
Dr. X

That looks really cool. I'm glad manufacturers are going in this direction: small, all tube amps. Those are a lot more practical for pretty much anyone not playing a stadium on a regular basis.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]