View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 A starter in the world of Jazz Fusion 
God Of The Sun

fuck it

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

While I encourage practicing scales in different positions, I fail to see how this is fundamentally different from rock or why it's "the jazz-way" to play.

Its fundamental to being in full control of the instrument, and with fusion you NEED to to know what your doing, not so much in rock.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:44 am
Superhero

Quote:
While I encourage practicing scales in different positions, I fail to see how this is fundamentally different from rock or why it's "the jazz-way" to play.

Its fundamental to being in full control of the instrument, and with fusion you NEED to to know what your doing, not so much in rock.

K. Guess that makes sense.

So how do I learn offnote choices? Being in control is necessary, yes.

But I'm really anxious to learn about out of key notes. Because I don't want to play Jazz. I don't think any of us do. We want to make jazz part of our style. So I want to know how to make jazz part of my style. And a big part of that is putting jazz in a rock setting, where all that really matters are note choice and phrasing.

Everything is important, I'm just saying. There are no lessons on how to phrase notes that are out of the scale, and that's what I wanna play. The "cool" jazzy notes.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:51 am
Viking Kong

ßrono wrote:
Quote:

K. Guess that makes sense.

So how do I learn offnote choices? Being in control is necessary, yes.

But I'm really anxious to learn about out of key notes. Because I don't want to play Jazz. I don't think any of us do. We want to make jazz part of our style. So I want to know how to make jazz part of my style. And a big part of that is putting jazz in a rock setting, where all that really matters are note choice and phrasing.

Everything is important, I'm just saying. There are no lessons on how to phrase notes that are out of the scale, and that's what I wanna play. The "cool" jazzy notes.

Being in control is "knowing" your music theory and note choices like the back of your hand. You must study how to play "in" before you learn how to begin playing "outside". There are lessons that teach you how to play outside, it's just hard to understand if you don't understand fundamentals of music theory.

Make sure you know your modes/chords/how they work together. Playing a certain scale in a certain position can drastically change the mood of a chord progression/solo from "Jolly Pirate" to "Slightly jazzy blues guy". :wink:

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 am
Superhero

you want to find off note choices? find a good note, then play the one next to it.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I don't get all of this. Am I really that much of a n00b with theory or do I just lack the vocabulary to join in on the conversation?

Cause if I don't know shit, what the heck am I playing then? Random things?

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 am
God Of The Sun

a magic lick that will somehow change the way you play guitar

its called JAZZ fusion for a reason...you're FUSING jazz with something

how do you expect to do that if you dont understand jazz?

i know my efforts are now pointless, you want to run before you can walk. and noone is changing your mind

but im sorry, there is no quick fix

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

watch the video i posted

this is a limitation exercise and a visualistaion exercise

i assure you, i learned this from shaun baxter, and there is no better teacher, i therefore hold this exercise very highly

I wasn't bashing your method btw, sorry if I gave that impression :P

I'll definitely give this method a go though!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:28 am
Superhero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiqrRD92GE

Why does YouTube say it's a private video?

Thank you Levi for the Facebook link, very usefull! :D

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

what do you want from us?

a magic lick that will somehow change the way you play guitar

its called JAZZ fusion for a reason...you're FUSING jazz with something

how do you expect to do that if you dont understand jazz?

i know my efforts are now pointless, you want to run before you can walk. and noone is changing your mind

but im sorry, there is no quick fix

Lol dude. Calm down, you've been antsy this whole thread, it's like I'm insulting your family. I've been doing your exercise for the past 3 days, working a little more each day. So don't get whiny about me not taking your advice, because I have.

Thanks Bean, too, for the advice.

Brono..elaborate?
Quote:
you want to find off note choices? find a good note, then play the one next to it.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Playing behind or in front of the note before you play the good note is a good way to play "outside". If you take the minor pentatonic scale (or actually, ANY scale) and move it up or down a fret, you will totally avoid every correct note. By doing that, you're already "outside".

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2