View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Viiiddss 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Viiiddss
A compilation of 3 jams I did a while ago.

Chick Corea - Spain
Greg Howe/Richie Kotzen - Groove Epidemic
Hiromi - Summer Rain

I made it a point to record something every now and then cause I barely have time for guitar. As you can see, I am in need of some cleaning up and shiz. It's also obvious that I repeated a bunch of licks (I'm not Greg Howe, sorry guise lol) so yeah.

Hope ya like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWrzAl1-Dw

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:16 pm
Motorman

Hiromi is badass... And I'm seeing Chick Corea this sunday.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:10 pm
God Of The Sun

that guitar is really awesome too

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm
Dr. X

Awesome! I like your sound. Your guitar looks great. 8)

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Hmmm I've seen many of your videos before Pao and they are always up to the highest standard and a joy to watch.

However (yep, I'm sorry), I felt a bit disappointed after watching this :(

I shouldn't be criticizing you as you're 100 times the player I am ;)

I felt as if your bends were slightly out of pitch at times and the vibrato was slightly weak in comparison to your previous videos. I also didn't like the choice of notes at times :cry:

As decent as your Laney is, have you ever considered looking into a Cornford or a Carvin? I think they would compliment your playing style perfectly. I'm not saying you need a better amp but for a player of your caliber you really deserve one ;)

Once again, I'm so sorry if this comes across in a bad way :(

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:39 pm
Godzilla

I know your a well respected board member here, but i dont know what to say about this video..ive enjoyed your playing on the forum jams, but it feels like your trying to hard. you try to play outside and tasty and sometimes some really bad notes sneak in and it just doesnt sound good, and your tone is to thick that i cant hear any definition or dynamics in your playing. your timing is very off at times too, anyways i know youve had problems with your hands, i dont hope you keep getting better i know you will, you will be a extremely great player someday becuse i can hear in your playing your thinking outside of the box and playing stuff you hear in your head, and thats the best way to play IMO.

Hope you dont take this so negative, and if you want me to explain it better i can try, my english aint so good so it can be hard at times to try to get my point trough!

Best of luck! //Miguel

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

As for the negative parts, I really appreciate it don't worry 8) I'd have to take in all that if I want to get better. Plus I honestly admit that I haven't been giving enough time for guitar recently.

sharpant wrote:
I felt as if your bends were slightly out of pitch at times and the vibrato was slightly weak in comparison to your previous videos. I also didn't like the choice of notes at times :cry:

Can you give specific points in the jam where I was out of pitch/being weird with note choices? Sorry if it's a hassle, I just woke up and I listened to it like 50 times last night and I thought it was "okay". Maybe my ears were tired and I didn't notice some parts? I'll work on those quirks immediately.

Quote:
As decent as your Laney is, have you ever considered looking into a Cornford or a Carvin? I think they would compliment your playing style perfectly. I'm not saying you need a better amp but for a player of your caliber you really deserve one ;)

Like I said on the best amps thread, my ears say Cornford, my wallet is saying Laney. LOL. We'll see, I'm still trying to save up :P

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:30 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I know your a well respected board member here, but i dont know what to say about this video..ive enjoyed your playing on the forum jams, but it feels like your trying to hard. you try to play outside and tasty and sometimes some really bad notes sneak in and it just doesnt sound good, and your tone is to thick that i cant hear any definition or dynamics in your playing. your timing is very off at times too, anyways i know youve had problems with your hands, i dont hope you keep getting better i know you will, you will be a extremely great player someday becuse i can hear in your playing your thinking outside of the box and playing stuff you hear in your head, and thats the best way to play IMO.

Relax, Miguel 8) I'm happy you guys are being honest. Just as long as you don't RickRoll me, I'm good. What timing issues were you referring to specifically? I know I went too off on some parts cause I was intentionally trying to do something (that obviously didn't turn out too good :lol: but for the rest I'd like to know!

I seem to have a common problem with having bad note choices in this one :? Also tone issues! I'd really appreciate it if you guys can point out those parts, that would be great! Also if there are easy/simple remedies to my tone without the need for an amp change :P Time to work on them :-O

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:41 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

This made my day, though! :shock: i feel like brian

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 am
Viking Kong

Ha, ha!!!

Cool! :D
There was some impressive playing in your video, Pao.

Pao wrote:
I made it a point to record something every now and then cause I barely have time for guitar. As you can see, I am in need of some cleaning up and shiz.
Sheesh.
Don't sweat it. That's the story of my life. :(

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 am
God Of The Sun

Pao wrote:

Ha, ha!!!

Cool! :D
There was some impressive playing in your video, Pao.

aaaaaaaa! The responses from the real artists are getting scary lately.
this is something that brings them definately close to the fans

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 am
Superhero

Can you give specific points in the jam where I was out of pitch/being weird with note choices? Sorry if it's a hassle, I just woke up and I listened to it like 50 times last night and I thought it was "okay". Maybe my ears were tired and I didn't notice some parts? I'll work on those quirks immediately.

Ok :)

Bend at 00.43 / 2.23

After watching it again I was probably too harsh, the vibrato in the first 10 seconds is not 'bad'. It's just stronger as you get into the groove imo.

PGM301

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:45 pm
Superhero

Ok :)

Bend at 00.43 / 2.23

After watching it again I was probably too harsh, the vibrato in the first 10 seconds is not 'bad'. It's just stronger as you get into the groove imo.

You didn't enjoy it because of those moments? Fucking hell, I'm glad that Racer X asylum standards are not applies to anything academic.

Grade Boundaries:

B - 100%
C - 99%
F - 98% and below

That's right, there is no A grade.

I thought the video was really cool, good job.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:25 pm
Superhero

Imo there was more than that but as I say I'm hardly one to criticize. I'm not going to sit here and nit pick every last detail that i didn't 'like'

It's all subjective as well so what you like i may have not.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaalm down nitefly

PGM301

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm
Superhero

Haha, you do realise I support Man U and Chelsea, right? :wink:

You are entitled to whatever standards you wish, I'm just glad they are not imposed upon anything I do :lol:

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:32 pm
Superhero

sharpant wrote:

Haha, you do realise I support Man U and Chelsea, right? :wink:

You are entitled to whatever standards you wish, I'm just glad they are not imposed upon anything I do :lol:

As i said, upon the second viewing I realize my judgment was too harsh.

However Pao requested I point about a couple of flaws so my criticisms were justified. So i pointed out two bends. Better than me saying i didn't like it and then not elaborating on it :wink:

Anyway, a very good video Pao, keep it up! your improv skills are something i could only dream of.

PGM301

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

sharpant - Oh, THOSE bends :lol: Yeah they do sound pretty bad, now that I look at it.

Hey, Nitefly, you must've forgotten that this is t3h Racer X board. I don't wanna be mean, but we DO smoke the players from the Dragonforce board. I mean, we have Brian. And Lawrence. And nuntius. And Sean. And Cristof. Among others :P

It's cool. I'm kind of glad that we have this high standard for guitar playing, I mean I honestly would never have improved if it wasn't for that. I openly admit that I haven't been practicing as much. I have all these ultra cool lines in my head that don't translate well when I try to interpret them on the guitar. Still working on that :lol:

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:04 pm
Superhero

t3h Racer X board. I don't wanna be mean, but we DO smoke the players from the Dragonforce board. I mean, we have Brian. And Lawrence. And nuntius. And Sean. And Cristof. Among others :P

Haha - you pwn them with the 1337 sw33pz.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]