View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Wood Gurus 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Wood Gurus
This thread is about the tone of different woods, both in the body and neck/board.

Here's what I think I understand.....

Bodies:

Basswood - I have too much experience with this wood it's rediculous. I understand it has a very good midrange.. I always find myself scooping the mids a bit when fiddling with amp settings.

Alder - Full sound good in all 3 ranges low mid high and has a good solid low end. I think?

Swamp Ash - Supposed to have a bright tone that is great in the low end as well and a little easy on the mid range.

Mahogany - "dark" strong mids

So my question is how necks/fretboards work with these bodies. More specifically for now how a maple/maple neck/board sound on a swamp ash body.. I know maple is very bright, so if ash is bright as well, will the guitar be bright as the sun?

and just what necks generally seem to match the tone of the bodies best?

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Post Re: Wood Gurus
EricF wrote:
So my question is how necks/fretboards work with these bodies. More specifically for now how a maple/maple neck/board sound on a swamp ash body.. I know maple is very bright, so if ash is bright as well, will the guitar be bright as the sun?

and just what necks generally seem to match the tone of the bodies best?

I don't think maple neck/fretboard will necessarily be way too bright. Ritchie kotzens signature strat has an ash body, maple laminate top, and maple neck and fretboard. The greg howe sig model is also.

According to warmoth Ash is brighter than basswood or alder, but not nearly as bright as maple. http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Op ... tions.aspx

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:52 pm
Godzilla

i have a strat with Ash and maple neck...it isnt brighter the notes just pop out in a different way, its got a different attack!

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:01 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]