View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The dreaded metronome 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post The dreaded metronome
A big topic here always seems to be picking. I've been working on it for years, like a lot of you. I decided to break out the metronome again, actually bought a new one, the BOSS DB-30.

You know how it goes, you play some licks and/or scales up to a certain point that you can't play them anymore. For me, my wrist always seems to lose control, which I attribute to being weak. My wrist tenses up, and all I hear from then on is the sound of SUCK!

I stumbled upon something that's been working very well. When you get to the point where you start to tense or lose control... STOP for a minute or two... and then continue where you left off. I've found that when I continued after a 2 minute break, I was able to play it A LOT more relaxed, and it sounded good... I can play it in time. Then I go up 4 beats on the metronome again until the same thing happens, I tense up and can't play it anymore. I took a 2 minute break, came back to it and I could play it with ease.

It's definitely helping me. I hope it helps many of you who are stuck in a similar picking rut.

Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 am
God Of The Sun

The above definitely works, you could also try stretching before and after playing guitar (similar to how you would in a sporting match). Another method I use is on cold days I would wash my hands in warm water just to soften my fingers a bit more and for me to be able to 'feel' the strings better.

As with the metronome,it does take time and practice. Sometimes your tensing up might not actually be your fingers, rather your mind getting nervous at adapting to the faster speed. Just try to relax as much as possible and see it as something enjoyable rather than a 'chore'.

Thu May 07, 2009 2:14 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]