View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Pao's soon to be new guitar thread 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Pao's soon to be new guitar thread
Hey, dudes. Here's the thread where you will help me decide what guitar I should buy. I've been constantly debating as to what I should get, but now I feel like I need your help. I'll put in the pros and cons of each choice, and you can tell me what you think. You can also suggest other guitars. Anyway...

My budget: $1000-1,200 (STRICT)

Here are my choices:

1. Suhr Pro series - Like I said, it's $1,750 for the S1 and used they can go for like $1,400 minty. It's still way past my budget but if I get lucky I could get one. It's my number 1 choice because... it's a Suhr. Plain and simple. The only cons I see on this one is: it's the lowest Suhr, so it's not like "ultra l33t". Also, it's too expensive. But man, it's a SUHR. You know? Hahaha.

2. Laguna LE924 Greg Howe inspired guitar - Okay, I thought this one was a steal. But now I am totally iffy about how it works. It seems "cheap" for an "expensive" guitar. I know the specs are kick-ass, and the parts are from the USA though the wood was manufactured in Indonesia. But still, for $999 it's a steal if it's another brand (that we're sure of the quality) but for something like this I'm IFFY, you know? The brand is unknown and the reviews of the lower end models are bad. This is their first "high end" model, so I don't know what to think.

3. A Carvin - This is a sort of SAFE choice, but I need some more convincing as to why I should pick Carvin. I don't know why, but I feel like something is holding me back with their work.

DEFAULT: I thought of this last night and I was super excited about it. You guys have seen my Prestige RG with the mirror pickguard and white pick-ups. I'm thinking of making a RED version of it. Since the new RGs have just been released, the old 1570s are cheaper. I can make a Candy red version of my guitar. It'll look really sweet, I'll pick DiMarzio Breed instead of Evos for a little variation. The cons on doing this is: it's practically the same guitar, with different pick-ups and color. No super excitement/variation. The pros: I'm used to this guitar. No problem getting used to my old guitar just re-vamped.

What do you guys think?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:08 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Guitar:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Prestige-RG1 ... 1|294%3A50

Mirror pickguard:
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-STYLE-RG-RED ... .m20.l1116

Pick-ups: (either pure red or the red/black ones)
http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-F-spaced-B ... .m20.l1116
http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-F-spaced-B ... .m20.l1116

Clip-lock
http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-2-Inch-Cli ... 1|294%3A50

Didn't include the colored switch and knobs. But you more or less get the idea.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:11 am
Viking Kong

Suhr - Guthrie Govan, Nuff said. Seems like heaven to play, very smooth and balanced. The sound, very organic and buoyant. Nice finish on the Guthrie model. Never played one.

Carvin - Shane Gibson, Allan Holdsworth, Tony McAlpine, Nuff said. Seems like it is very smooth to play on, versatile depending on the specs you pick. My teacher had one and it was awesome. Played it a long time ago.

Customization is the key (you can 'build your own' and change specs on their website). Beautiful wood choices/tops.

Laguna - Greg Howe, nuff said. But I'm skeptical about this one. Haven't played one before.

BTW: What happened to your Jem?

EDIT: Ibanez is always a very solid choice as well.

Last edited by Refried Bean on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 am
Viking Kong

The suhr is quality even if it is the entry level model.

With Carvin you get a USA made guitar that you can customize. Depending on wood choices and options they offer a bunch of model that fall into your price range. My cousin has a contour 66 and it plays great.

If you love your guitar and aren't looking for something different picking up another 1570 isn't a bad choice.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:25 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Bean - My JEM died ages ago. Wood crack on trem cavity. That's why my Prestige looks the way it is, cause I moved the parts of the JEM to the prestige :lol:

xjustice09x wrote:
The suhr is quality even if it is the entry level model.

With Carvin you get a USA made guitar that you can customize. Depending on wood choices and options they offer a bunch of model that fall into your price range. My cousin has a contour 66 and it plays great.

If you love your guitar and aren't looking for something different picking up another 1570 isn't a bad choice.

Exactomundo. I don't think I can get a custom Carvin, cause I'd be staying in the USA for like 10 days only :lol: So I guess I just have to pick between the Suhr and the Ibanez? If I'm lucky, I get a used Suhr, if I'm not so lucky, I get a safe choice, the 1570.

That's the con with the 1570, it's gonna be more or less the same guitar. Not that I don't mind, but it would be more exciting if I got a guitar that's leaning towards the warmer side and is more "classy" looking rather than a shreddy looking guitar. The customs I'm gonna do with it it gonna make it look like a sports car though, just like my current 1570 :P It could be the Pao sig model? LOL.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 am
Superhero

go for the suhr please, it will be an investment.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yes, that's another thing. A Suhr is a MOTHAFUCKIN SUHR. But the price is just too high, you know?

Currently:
1. Suhr - If I get lucky
2. Ibanez - Safe choice
3. Carvin
4. Laguna

Want to convince me some more guys? :P

Last edited by Pao on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:48 am
Viking Kong

Where are you going to be in the USA? Carvin has 4 stores in California. They might have something you like in stock.

If you have any friends in the area you will be visiting maybe you could order the guitar and have it shipped to them, then pick it up while you are here.

If you don't need the guitar right away, and you really want the suhr I would just wait a few months till you can save up more money.

From what I have heard the trem on the Laguna isn't the best. If you like to use the trem alot I would look elsewhere, or look into replacing the trem.

Last edited by xjustice09x on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:49 am
Superhero

gatxman wrote:

Yes, that's another thing. A Suhr is a MOTHAFUCKIN SUHR. The price is just too high, you know?

Currently:
1. Suhr - If I get lucky
2. Ibanez - Safe choice
3. Carvin
4. Laguna

Want to convince me some more guys? :P

"a suhr is a MOTHAFUCKING SUHR" Theres your convincing right there. fucking GO FOR IT !

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:50 am
Superhero

let me tell you a story about Carvin guitars. So one day after school, i felt like trying out some new guitars so i drove 15 minutes to go to a guitarcenter in northridge. There i tried out more than 45 guitars within 3 hours, and i wasn't satisfied with any of them till i picked up a USED 7 string carvin, it was way up there so i asked the clerk to help me get it down. i started playing it and fucking fell in love with it. Never bought it though because i was broke, but i visited that guitarcenter almost 4 times in 2 months and that guitar is always there so i always play it and fall in love with it everytime.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 am
Viking Kong

classy = yummy. Hence Suhr + Carvin are orgasmic. I'd like to own at least one of each in my life time.

Last edited by Refried Bean on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:54 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

xjustice09x - Last week of April, more or less. I'll be there for 7-10 days. First in Vegas (2 days?), then in Texas (2-3 days), then in San Francisco (the rest). The trip will be quick, we're going there mainly for a conference my dad is attending, so it's not really a vacation trip thing. That's also the reason why I'm trying to get a decision quick even before I try the guitar (I've tried the brands except for the Laguna) cause I know I won't have the time to go around and visit all the stores and try all the guitars. Where are the stores of Carvin located in CA anyway?

I can't wait a few months cause we don't leave the country a lot. Last time I was there was like 5-6 years ago? That's when I bought my 1570 in Vegas.

BTW, I have to decide whether I should get the Ibanez or not, cause I've to ask a friend to buy the parts earlier, so she can ship the parts as a whole to where my cousins are in SF. (The guitar itself is easy to get. And no, it's a big hassle to ship to my country, that's a big HELL NO. I swear, things get returned/lost half-way most of the time it is annoying.)

gatxman - I know what you mean, man. But, dang. It's way past my budget, like for serious reals.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 am
Viking Kong

Aw, you're gonna be in San Fran? Is there any chance you could come down to San Jose and jam? It's like an hour away.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:00 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

let me tell you a story about Carvin guitars. So one day after school, i felt like trying out some new guitars so i drove 15 minutes to go to a guitarcenter in northridge. There i tried out more than 45 guitars within 3 hours, and i wasn't satisfied with any of them till i picked up a USED 7 string carvin, it was way up there so i asked the clerk to help me get it down. i started playing it and fucking fell in love with it. Never bought it though because i was broke, but i visited that guitarcenter almost 4 times in 2 months and that guitar is always there so i always play it and fall in love with it everytime.

Ah. There's another debate. 6 or 7 string. AARGKHA;LGKJHA;LJK MAN :cry:

Refried Bean wrote:
classy = yummy. Hence Suhr + Carvin are orgasmic. I'd like to own at least one of each in my life time.

DUDE EXACTLY. That's one of the reasons why I don't wanna go for the Ibanez. The Ibanez is flashy looking you know? Especially with what I'm gonna do to the Red 1570. So many people love how my current 1570 looks. I'd imagine how they're gonna like the red one better. Sports car versus classy car. Sexy vs sophisticated. Wii vs PS3. :cry:

But the chicks are gonna dig the sports car.... :P

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:02 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Aw, you're gonna be in San Fran? Is there any chance you could come down to San Jose and jam? It's like an hour away.

Dude I PM-ed you about it? Didn't you get it? Remember you asked about Vallejo? :shock: I don't know if I could get to San Jose, cause I don't know where that is and I don't know how to get there :lol:

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 am
Viking Kong

Oh well I do want to jam, I just thought you said you were going to stay in San Fran, and I'm not familiar driving up that far. I suppose I can get my parents to drive me (I get lost easily) to Vallejo or San Fran. That'd probably be easier.

Anyway, I'm down to chill. :wink: .

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

If it's not much of a hassle, we should totally hang! Let's visit guitar stores and wreck havoc :twisted:

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 am
Viking Kong

If it's not much of a hassle, we should totally hang! Let's visit guitar stores and wreck havoc :twisted:

Hmm, maybe I could go up there, and then we could go to San Fran guitar center or something the weekend you're there. I bet one of my friends would be down to go as well. I hope we can chill cause I'm in school at the moment. Haha.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sure, dude. I'll be with my family, but they told me I can go wherever I want this time. I hope we get to SF on a weekend :?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 am
Viking Kong

You probably won't be able to make it to a carvin store. The factory is in San Diego. There also is are stores in hollywood, Santa Ana, and Sacramento.

The closest one to SF is the sacramento store, and that would probably be a 1.5-2 hour drive.

The info on the sacramento store can be found here http://www.carvinguitars.com/locations/sacramento/index.php

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next