View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 pm



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 a short pg shred 
Author Message
is evil...Evil Joe

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 62
Post a short pg shred
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxwyMgzM8

what do you guys think?

still no new pups, but I'm probably gonna sell this 5 watt tube and get a pack of evo's, so if anyone is interested this amp is mint condition for $200 or a nice/mint set of hsh evo's, this also has a 5 year warranty I haven't filled out

I live in Connecticut


Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile
Godzilla

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Posts: 747
Location: London
Post 
Nice playing mate.

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:27 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 3793
Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Post 
a tip is to use your pinky and align a fret for every finger =) You have your picking hand like PG´s! thats quite cool but you seem to pick with your whole arm :/ looks intense! But quite good playing :)

_________________
Image
Image


Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:20 am
Posts: 6727
Post 
Yeah, that's quite clean. Great job, and keep working on it till its perfect. :)

You're on the right track!


Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:44 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 62
Post 
ReXiX wrote:
a tip is to use your pinky and align a fret for every finger =) You have your picking hand like PG´s! thats quite cool but you seem to pick with your whole arm :/ looks intense! But quite good playing :)

Yeah, pg normally has his thumb straight, I take advantage of many different ways of picking, wrist, arm, and finger joints, just whatever feels best at the time

thanks for the feedback


Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:00 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: London UK
Post 
I've been working on the way i hold the pick recently, in this video Paul TELLS you to BEND your thumb, although when you actually watch him it looks very straight to me, maybe it's just hard to tell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

_________________
[img]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6089/rib768.gif[/img] [img]http://i40.tinypic.com/19nrrr.gif[/img]

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12


Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 62
Post 
sharpant wrote:
I've been working on the way i hold the pick recently, in this video Paul TELLS you to BEND your thumb, although when you actually watch him it looks very straight to me, maybe it's just hard to tell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

yeah, well it def. varies just as finger length varies... I try to stay conscious of my technique as much as I can

I taught myself guitar, I just look for flaws and try to correct them. I've been playing about 3 months short of 4 years

edit: also at around 16-18 seconds I do use my pinky once.. guess using it more is something I have to work on, I've been using my fingertips more, I used to use the front of my fingers and my skin would just come off onto my higher strings. Now I like working up a little sweat in my hands before I start sliding around, it's made my strings last a lot longer.

my pinky is also bent slightly inward so its not as easy to use all 4 of my fingers


Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 3793
Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Post 
harmonius wrote:
sharpant wrote:
I've been working on the way i hold the pick recently, in this video Paul TELLS you to BEND your thumb, although when you actually watch him it looks very straight to me, maybe it's just hard to tell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

yeah, well it def. varies just as finger length varies... I try to stay conscious of my technique as much as I can

I taught myself guitar, I just look for flaws and try to correct them. I've been playing about 3 months short of 4 years

edit: also at around 16-18 seconds I do use my pinky once.. guess using it more is something I have to work on, I've been using my fingertips more, I used to use the front of my fingers and my skin would just come off onto my higher strings. Now I like working up a little sweat in my hands before I start sliding around, it's made my strings last a lot longer.

my pinky is also bent slightly inward so its not as easy to use all 4 of my fingers


yeah try to get your pinky with you in the playing =) its really effective! i used to play with my first 3 all the time a year ago but it feels better to have a good structure to it =) And you build uneven strenght in the fingers so practice with the pinky ^^

_________________
Image
Image


Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
ReXiX wrote:
harmonius wrote:
sharpant wrote:
I've been working on the way i hold the pick recently, in this video Paul TELLS you to BEND your thumb, although when you actually watch him it looks very straight to me, maybe it's just hard to tell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

yeah, well it def. varies just as finger length varies... I try to stay conscious of my technique as much as I can

I taught myself guitar, I just look for flaws and try to correct them. I've been playing about 3 months short of 4 years

edit: also at around 16-18 seconds I do use my pinky once.. guess using it more is something I have to work on, I've been using my fingertips more, I used to use the front of my fingers and my skin would just come off onto my higher strings. Now I like working up a little sweat in my hands before I start sliding around, it's made my strings last a lot longer.

my pinky is also bent slightly inward so its not as easy to use all 4 of my fingers


yeah try to get your pinky with you in the playing =) its really effective! i used to play with my first 3 all the time a year ago but it feels better to have a good structure to it =) And you build uneven strenght in the fingers so practice with the pinky ^^

+1 playing with all 4 fingers makes you look faster

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:35 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 3793
Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Post 
PGWannabe wrote:
ReXiX wrote:
harmonius wrote:
sharpant wrote:
I've been working on the way i hold the pick recently, in this video Paul TELLS you to BEND your thumb, although when you actually watch him it looks very straight to me, maybe it's just hard to tell

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

yeah, well it def. varies just as finger length varies... I try to stay conscious of my technique as much as I can

I taught myself guitar, I just look for flaws and try to correct them. I've been playing about 3 months short of 4 years

edit: also at around 16-18 seconds I do use my pinky once.. guess using it more is something I have to work on, I've been using my fingertips more, I used to use the front of my fingers and my skin would just come off onto my higher strings. Now I like working up a little sweat in my hands before I start sliding around, it's made my strings last a lot longer.

my pinky is also bent slightly inward so its not as easy to use all 4 of my fingers


yeah try to get your pinky with you in the playing =) its really effective! i used to play with my first 3 all the time a year ago but it feels better to have a good structure to it =) And you build uneven strenght in the fingers so practice with the pinky ^^

+1 playing with all 4 fingers makes you look faster


Yeah that to! haha =) and make you look more like Gilbert than Malmsteen haha XD

_________________
Image
Image


Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 62
Post 
haha, thanks a lot for the tips and feedback, it helps, it's scary to change your technique though. How exactly do I know what fingers to use on a shape like

12-14-16

Can somebody explain this so I dont learn it uncorrectly?


Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 am
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:00 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: London UK
Post 
Naturally First Second and fourth

I'd don't really have a logic behind it but it's what feels best.

Try doing it with

134

then 124

You'll know what feels better :wink:

_________________
[img]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6089/rib768.gif[/img] [img]http://i40.tinypic.com/19nrrr.gif[/img]

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12


Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:23 am
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
1 3 4 feels better. the first two fingers are already strong, so it's better to build up strength in 3,4

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile
Godzilla

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:42 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Post 
dude play your own stuff!! :cry:


Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 3055
Location: England
Post 
Cool stuff man! 8)

As ReXiX said though, use your pinky :)


Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 pm
Profile
Superhero

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am
Posts: 1051
Location: Poland
Post 
Come on, everyone knows you can't start playing your own licks when your first pick the guitar.


Even Paul started with Van Halen legato licks and then\ created that massive legato/picking style riff

Paul wrote:
||----12-13-12----12-15-14-15-14-12-----||
||---------------15-----------------------15--||


Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 am
Posts: 58
Post 
Pretty good chops. A little sloppy in some places, but not bad.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your vibrato needs a lot of work. It should be a lot slower and more controlled. It looks like you just shake the string as fast as you can.

Listen to how Gilbert, Yngwie, Vai, etc do their vibrato.

Keep up the good playing :D


Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.