View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Emergency resolved I guess 
Viking Kong

Post Emergency resolved I guess
Guys, halp halp halp!

I reaaaally need a quick way of making my neck and more importantly, strings, feel a little bit more slippery, I'm playing something at school tomorrow and I'm starting to feel my strings go a bit less smooth. Give your your wondrous and experienced tips please, I only have this night and tomorrow evening to do so!

Last edited by Zae on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Viking Kong

You could use something like GHS fast fret. I don't know if they sell it near you, but its easy to find at most music shops in the US. It cleans the strings, and definitely makes them more slippery.

IT depends on the guitar for what you could do for the neck. On my gibsons I just use guitar polish since they are finished necks. THe nitro laquer can get kind of sticky every once and a while if I don't keep it clean. With my maple necks I never had any problems with them getting sticky of slowing me down at all.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm
God Of The Sun

an this may be considered a little "out there"

try changing you strings

(no awards please)

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

its easy to find here.....but

an this may be considered a little "out there"

try changing you strings

(no awards please)

I wish, but my parents would kill me if I change them this soon, I only jsut got these a little while ago :P

Do you think wiping them over with some light oil will make them smoother and corrode less easily?

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm
Viking Kong

You could use something like GHS fast fret. I don't know if they sell it near you, but its easy to find at most music shops in the US. It cleans the strings, and definitely makes them more slippery.

I concur 1000000000%. I have been using fast fret for years. That's the way to go! :wink:

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:50 pm
God Of The Sun

...I wish, but my parents would kill me if I change them this soon...

What your parents don't know, won't hurt them. :wink:

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm
Dr. X

New strings + Fast Fret = slippery goodness. If you're going to go out and get some Fast Fret, which I also dig, you might as well get a fresh set of strings.

And what's the big deal about buying new strings? What's a standard pack of D'Addario/Ernie Ball/GHS/whatever run, like $5?

I don't know how kosher this is, but back in the day I used to take Brasso (brass/silver/metal polish), put a little bit on an old T-shirt and clean my strings with that. Just put a little dab on the T-shirt, pinch the string and run it up and down its length a couple of times. Then, find a clean part of the old shirt and clean it off with that. Didn't really make the strings "slippery", but cleaned off a lot of the gunk that made them sticky. I always made sure not to get any on the fretboard or finish. For the record, I stopped doing that a long time ago.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:21 am
God Of The Sun

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

$10 dollars over here

OMG! Dude can you get em on U.S. ebay? You can get 10 sets of d'addarios for only 35 bucks and some sellers ship worldwide.

The fast fret is great, I had it way long ago and used it all up. I think i'm going to go get me some this weekend. :)

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:40 am
Motorman

Just eat some fried chicken beforehand like Jaco (supposedly) did.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:01 am
God Of The Sun

explain to your parents that new strings sound better, an that the tone dies off afte a couple of weeks...

failing that wrap each string in a scouring pad and rub, this cleans them up a treat

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I'm a long-time Fast Fret user. It prolongs the life of a set of strings so much for me that I used to buy one tub of Fast Fret every time I bought a packet of strings. This was my way of saving money. Without it I'll have corroded/bent/maltreated my way through the thinner strings in just a couple of days. High E's in particular fly around my earholes very quickly because I'm not really happy playing anything heavier than 9s. They often snap in the comfort zone between the tenth and 17th frets! :( I like huge bends, see. :D 8)

Nowadays I've eased back on my addiction to the slippy stuff and prefer to change strings more often: it sounds better and keeps you in tune, too. Buy strings in bulk once you've decided on a brand and guage – guitar store prices for single sets are often astronomic. As you're in Britain, try googling Strings Direct or Stringbusters.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm
Dr. X

I wish, but my parents would kill me if I change them this soon, I only jsut got these a little while ago :P

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think that is one of the best things I've ever read on the interwebs.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:58 pm
Viking Kong

so u can buy fast fet but not strings?

explain to your parents that new strings sound better, an that the tone dies off afte a couple of weeks...

failing that wrap each string in a scouring pad and rub, this cleans them up a treat

I haven't posted yet. :P

I have 3 sets of strings waiting, but what I'm doing tonight isn't _worth_ changing strings for at this stage. Nowhere around here sells fast fret. Or strings. Or straps. Or guitars. Closest from here is about 30 miles, at the least, I think.

I think I'll go with the fried chicken. Also do remember trying baby oil. But I ran out a while ago =(

I also just noticed something. I haven't cleaned off some bits of grime. I'd bleach it if it was safe :P

Edit: All done. Night over. My amp volume was a bit low. Shame on me.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]