View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Guitar String Quesion 

What size of strings do you use?
8 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
9 58%  58%  [ 15 ]
10 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
11 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
12 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Guitar String Quesion 
Superhero

Post Guitar String Quesion
Hey guys i've been playing for a year and just started experimenting with strings. I've gone from 12's to 8's. I moved down to 8's slowly and I didn't notice a big change in tone, but then someone told me that the tone is better as the strings to thicker. So I just put 11's on and wow it sounds really good again.

I was wondering if you guys had any cool facts about strings, prefferences, anything you would like to add.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:01 am
God Of The Sun

I've been stringing up with a hybrid set of 10's recently.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:06 am
Viking Kong

You can never go wrong with 9's (although I do use 10's on my Jem) everything else is 9's...X :wink:

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:44 pm
Godzilla

I use 9s on most of my guitars, but I always keep my Jackson DK-2 tuned to drop D, and for some reason 10s feel better on it.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:39 pm
Superhero

You can never go wrong with 9's (although I do use 10's on my Jem) everything else is 9's...X :wink:

same over here 8)

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

But wouldn't it sounds better with thicker strings?? I am only saying this cause I was told that the tone is better on thicker strings. I really like the sounds of my 11's compared to the 8's. I have to hold the strings a lot harder, but I think it's worth the far better tone.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:31 pm
Dr. X

I like big strings, 11's are really cool and I use them from time to time. Right now I am strung with 10's.
Do BIG strings give you better tone? It is a matter of taste. It all started with Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie used big strings and everyone started saying you had to have big strings to have good tone.
Here is a list of players who I think have great tones....
Edward Van Halen..(9's)
Joe Satriani...........(9's)
Steve Vai............(10's)
Paul Gilbert...........(8's)
Eric Johnson........(10's)
SRV.............(12's/13's)
All have great tone and would bet they would sound about the same with different string sizes. Paul is a good example; in the studio he uses 8's and live he uses a heavier string and sounds about the same.

Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:05 am
Superhero

All have great tone and would bet they would sound about the same with different string sizes. Paul is a good example; in the studio he uses 8's and live he uses a heavier string and sounds about the same.

Hmm that is really interesting. How can he sound so similar when I had 8's on mine and thought it sounded funky. Then on 11's it sounded WAY better.

Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:34 am
Dr. X

Hey Wilsman,If you want to try some really cool strings check out the Zakk Wylde strings. Today I picked up a set of the 10's-60's. They rock! I also got to check out the 11-70 set (on a Peavey Wolfgang no less) and thought they were cool but a bit much for everyday playing.
I tuned down a whole step and my guitar sounds HUGE!

Last edited by gino on Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:18 am
Motorman

i use 13's on my jackson tuned to b standard and then 9's on my jem7rb tuned to E standard

Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:34 am
is evil...Evil Joe

SRV started the thick string thing? Somebody better tell my dad that cause hes been playing bluegrass music for 40 years and for as long as I can remember my dad has been using 12's and 13's on his Martin acoustics and everytime I pick one of his guitars up I scream in agony. I use 9's on all my guitars except one I use 10's. I have experimented with string guages and came to the conclusion that heavier gauge strings help with tone on the fat wraps somewhat but i didnt really notice a difference on the high strings. I recently tried the Zakk strings someone else mentioned and it was like rigging a cable from the Golden Gate Bridge on my guitar. I am stuck on Ernie Ball RPS slinky's in a 9. Also Ernie Ball Stainless Steel's in a 10. Its all a matter of what you like and get use to I guess.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

gino wrote:

Hmm that is really interesting. How can he sound so similar when I had 8's on mine and thought it sounded funky. Then on 11's it sounded WAY better.

iT PROLLY HAS TO DO WITH YOUR PICKING MORE THAN THE SIZE OF STRINGS. yOU PROLLY PICK WAY TO DAMNED HQARD TO BE USING 8S TO PLAY WIHT8S YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FAIRLY LIGHT TOUCH WITH THE PICK OR YOU WILL END UP WITH A FLICTED SOUND. pAUL IS A MASTER OF STRING NUANCES. thE DUDE CAN PLAY ANYTHING AND MAKE IT SOUND RIGHT. iM PRETTY SURE HE USES HEAVY STRINGS LIVE BECAUSE HE GETS THE ADRENALINE FLOWING AND TENDS TO BREAK SRIGNS EASIER. BUT PAU LSOUNDS THE SAME BECAUSE HES BEEN PLAYING OVR 20 YEARS. YOU SOUND DIFFERENT BECAUSE YOUVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING 1 YR AND YOUR PICKHAND HAS ALOT MORE DEVELOPEMENT TO GO THROUGH.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

I use a really wierd gauge that is hands down the best set for scalloped necks I have tried. It's a combination of an 8, 9, & 10 gauge set. Joe Stump came up with this set, and it works great. .08, .11, .14, .24(w), .32, .46

Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Hey Shredcity, Do you just by singles to make up that set?

And to clear up on what I said about SRV starting the big string thing.
What I ment was back in the late 80's , early 90's you never heard this phrase "big strings = big tone". It was only after SRV got huge! Of course players have used big strings. Back in the 50's strings were huge and mostly flat wound.
Also, my dad plays old school country(as he says "None of that goddamn thunder noises in the back ground, i.e. Garth Brooks) and blue grass and until I had 11's on my guitar he would kinda razz me about it! LOL

Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:10 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Hey Shredcity, Do you just by singles to make up that set?

Yeah, I buy individual gauges in packs of 6 (usually). http://www.StringItUp.comis a good place to get them from. They carry individual Ernie Ball strings (which is what I use).

Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Hey Wilsman,If you want to try some really cool strings check out the Zakk Wylde strings. Today I picked up a set of the 10's-60's. They rock! I also got to check out the 11-70 set (on a Peavey Wolfgang no less) and thought they were cool but a bit much for everyday playing.
I tuned down a whole step and my guitar sounds HUGE!

Wow that sounds really interesting. Never seen a set like that before.

Where exactly would I find those? Most of the sets I see have the low E from 40-50, but 60 or 70, wow.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:43 am
Dr. X

Anyone who carry's GHS strings should have the ZAKK strings. I got them at my local store. I know all the chains(ie:Sam Ash,Daddy's,Musician's Friend) are stocking them. I'vehad them on for 3 days now and really dig them.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:35 am
Superhero

Anyone who carry's GHS strings should have the ZAKK strings. I got them at my local store. I know all the chains(ie:Sam Ash,Daddy's,Musician's Friend) are stocking them. I'vehad them on for 3 days now and really dig them.

Cool, I think I'll go and check those out the next time I change my strigs.

That makes me think of another good question. How often do you guys change your strings? I know I know, it flucuates all the time, but gimme a ballpark figure. Wait til they break? Every week?

Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:51 pm
Superhero

as everybody i started with 9s and then moved to 10s to get more strenght on my hands and i ended up likin the 10s cuz i dont know, for me they just fell better in my left hand. i got a 10 hybrid set, i´m just waiting for my strings to brake to try it.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next