View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 guitar... cOLLEGE! 
Dr. X

Post guitar... cOLLEGE!
i want to take my guitar playing a step further with guitar college. i dont know wha till do but i think when you love something, all that stuff follows after. i jut want to focus on my playing right now.

i know Musicians institute is an option for me. I know john frusciante and paul gilbert and stuff went there. but isn't it one of those schools that if you have $ for it, then you're pretty much accepted?

i am looking for a school that is a little harder to get into so there's some more prestige to it. Berklee is cool and i'm definitely going to apply and audition there but i want to widen my horizons with more options. so that's only 2 schools. i sounded like a noob today when this girl asked me where i'm applying because i mentioned manhattan school of music without realizing it's one of the most prestigious conservatories in the world (i dont know if it even offers guitar lol)

anywhere other places i should check out? when i kick it "guitar colleges" in search engines, i get bs results

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
M.I. is really all about what you make of it. just because everyone gets in, doesn't mean everyone becomes a great player. only a select few kids are actually good at what they do. this excludes most of the "shred" kids.

my advice to you, should you choose GIT: BE OPEN! Go to the clinics the open counsels, take classes you wouldn't normally take. I took a bunch of jazz and funk stuff. had a roots-y private instructor for a year. now take lessons with the shred guy and one of the best ear training teachers in the school. chose a fusion guy for single string. took reading from a session vet. visit a session pro's open counseling. and perform R&B tunes.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:17 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I'm pretty sure my guitar teacher at UVA went to Manhattan - so yeah, they offer guitar there. :wink:

Depending on where you want to take your playing, if you're interested in jazz, you should definitely consider the University of North Texas as well (UNT).

Btw, you get bs results for "guitar college" because the term "guitar college" is a bs term. You need to look for either Music specific schools such as Berklee, MI and Manhattan and other Universities that have strong music programs, e.g. UNT, Rice, Northwestern, and UIllinois Urbana-Champagne

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:29 pm
Profile YIM
is the Siren's Eye

I go to a 'guitar college'. The Academy of Music and Sound. I study Music Theory, Music Buisness, obviously how to play guitar in contempory styles and jazz, Sight reading, music tech and they do other things such as band workshops with us and masterclasses.

I think it's a great way to avoid going to work straight after school :wink:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 am
is the Siren's Eye

Well if I get Merits or Distinctions on all 3 parts of the course i'll have enough UCAS points to get into university so i'll go into teaching.

If not that theres a university of Guitar Tech'ing i'm looking into or The Academy of Contempory music.

Lots of choices to make.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

If not that theres a university of Guitar Tech'ing i'm looking into or The Academy of Contempory music.

Lots of choices to make.

I'm at the ACM now and to tell you truth if you want to improve your musicianship and prepare yourself for the world of teaching then the ACM is not the place to go.

However, if you are in a band and want to make it within the industry then it's great since if you have a demo then they have so many contacts with industry people and whatnot... But as a music course the ACM course material leaves a lot to be desired.

Just for reference I have grade 4 music theory and grade 8 guitar, I've been there for 1 10 week term on the higher diploma course and I have learnt very little from the music teaching side which, like you, I want to go into.

Just my thoughts. :mrgreen:

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 am
Motorman

If you are unsure about taking such a big commitment

Try out the 10 day summer program in MI

or whatever is the equivalent in other colleges/schools

I think thats the best thing to do before you settle your mind on a decision

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:25 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

this guy didnt get in with canon in d for his audition.
what did u guys play?
i know his is sloppy, yea, yea, but still, that song is fast and has some smoking sweeps!
i can't play it...

anyway, i am doing http://www.divshare.com/download/3209908-206
for my audition
what do u think?

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:36 pm
Viking Kong

i can't play it...

Obviously he neither.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:19 pm
Superhero

If you wanna get into Berklee, learn some JAZZ.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:28 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.

and be from someplace other than the U.S. they get a hard-on for international students.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

Baz wrote:

and be from someplace other than the U.S. they get a hard-on for international students.

:!: :!: :!:

Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:32 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Hicklingbethyname wrote:

Lots of choices to make.

I'm at the ACM now and to tell you truth if you want to improve your musicianship and prepare yourself for the world of teaching then the ACM is not the place to go.

However, if you are in a band and want to make it within the industry then it's great since if you have a demo then they have so many contacts with industry people and whatnot... But as a music course the ACM course material leaves a lot to be desired.

Just for reference I have grade 4 music theory and grade 8 guitar, I've been there for 1 10 week term on the higher diploma course and I have learnt very little from the music teaching side which, like you, I want to go into.

Just my thoughts. :mrgreen:

Ah right. Well fair enough, cheers for the heads up.

Mon May 19, 2008 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9gnwLL3Jbs
I belive I´m one of the worst guitar players on this boards but if he played like that on the audition there´s a perfectly good and obvious reason why he didn´t get into berklee

I never applied for it but I belive the speed of the song is not that much of a factor, a good smoke on the water will always be better than a sloppy street lethal...

Mon May 19, 2008 1:13 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

as iv mentioned before, i got my place on the degree gourse at the intisitute in the uk

www.icmp.co.uk

that audition was hard work, theory (all chords and all scales without key sigs written out) sight reading (both exercises and 20 mins to learn a performance piece), scales and arpeggios (all in the 5 caged positions! i dont do caged!!) then improvising in a variety of style, funk, blues, RnB etc, then a performance, i did erotomania by dream theater

i dont believe its all about money as i dont have any! lol

there were 250 applicants and 24 places... thats all there is to it

Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

petadeer wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9gnwLL3Jbs
I belive I´m one of the worst guitar players on this boards but if he played like that on the audition there´s a perfectly good and obvious reason why he didn´t get into berklee

Honestly. :? I plan on applying to Berklee as my first choice and if I don't make it, going to M.I. I'm only 16 and have 2 more years of high school. I can honestly tell you that I can play that song very much better than the guy in that video.

The only thing I'm worried about is grades? I'm completely sucking in school. I just got taken out of my HS and am going into independent studies at a continuation school. I'll only be going to school twice a week and for about an hour. I'll be able to make up all my credits and use the extra time to study and take private lessons on music. And by my senior year I'll be back in my highschool and finish my schooling there. All should be well by that point but if they look at my transcript for my freshman and sophomore year... yikes. :?

I just hope that my abilities will outshine my grades.

Mon May 19, 2008 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]