View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How fast can you play the classic Gilbertian Lick it? 
Superhero

hey ihavesoldout, you dont know if paul has listend to the Terrafying tribute cd yet, do yah?

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:44 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I guess he was busy with g3 and shit.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:18 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Quote:
I think soundclips would help make this thread more effective. But then Brono would win for sure.

thanx, I just used to practice it an hour a day to try and get my picking happening, it helped alot. the only reason i made that clip was to help show someone an effective way to get speed pickin happening.

and trust me i dont think this means im good, it just means i could ply that lick fast. thats all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=446017&songID=4417120

i think the last one was 160bpm.

That link doesn't seem to lead to your/any clips anymore.... shame, i was interested to check your clip out. :?

Thu May 24, 2007 4:29 pm
Superhero

shame, i was interested to check your clip out. :?

it was very fastImage

Thu May 24, 2007 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=705686

Last edited by SmithX10 on Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 24, 2007 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/songInfo.cfm?bandID=705686&updated=5378013&name#5378013

Strange, that's still not taking me to a page where i can actually listen to anything (and i've been to plenty of Soundclick pages before to listen to stuff)..... is it set to members only or something?? :(

Thu May 24, 2007 7:02 pm
Tab Master

SmithX10 wrote:
http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/songInfo.cfm?bandID=705686&updated=5378013&name#5378013

Strange, that's still not taking me to a page where i can actually listen to anything (and i've been to plenty of Soundclick pages before to listen to stuff)..... is it set to members only or something?? :(

I'll upload it if you tell me what Racer X DVD's you've bought from Ebay...I've seen you bidding on those loads of times, along with me. :D

Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

willjay wrote:
SmithX10 wrote:

I'll upload it if you tell me what Racer X DVD's you've bought from Ebay...I've seen you bidding on those loads of times, along with me. :D

I don't remember buying any Racer X dvd's on eBay.... i do bid on lots of other guitar stuff, mainly Shawn Lane related stuff (though i've needed to update my own PayPal account for a while now, so i've been getting other people to bid for me for a while now).

Anyway... here are a couple of pretty recent clips of me picking those kind of patterns on my daughter's 3/4 size acoustic guitar, at around 14 nps (that would be 6's at 140 bpm).

Willie's Acoustic picking clip 1 : http://www.speedyshare.com/915666441.html

Willie's Acoustic picking clip 2 : http://www.speedyshare.com/881947899.html

So could anyone possibly upload that Brono clid for me to check out?

Cheers. :)

WJ.

Mon May 28, 2007 1:06 pm
is the Siren's Eye

I think you're talking about the G# minor lick at the end of the solo in Scarified that repeats (G# - A# - B - C# - B - A# - G# - A# - B - C# - B - C# - B - A# - G#) in sextuplets and triplets (16th notes)? If so I play that at 143 BPM in time with the recording, but that's it. And I have to be very warmed up to play that fast, and I'm still struggling to get it that fast without tensing up. I'm an arm picker, not a wrist picker so my arm fatigues after a while. I have tried switching to wrist picking (a la Yngwie Malmsteen) but it's not natural for me to play that way, even though it's technically more correct. I have noticed the key to very fast pickers is:

1. Their thumb never moves.
2. They hold the pick at slight 45 degree angle to the strings.
3. They pick with their wrist and stay very loose, no tension in the arm/wrist.
4. The movement is very slight, especially when crossing over strings. This is also true of the left hand, the fingers stay close to the strings.

Mon May 28, 2007 8:13 pm
Superhero

So could anyone possibly upload that Brono clid for me to check out?

yeah i will, for some reason all my songs on soundclick got wiped :?

fuck sake, ive had it with sound click! :evil:
for some reason every song i upload now is slowed down, and it will never play the full thing its just cuts out in the middle.

ok i uploaded it too yousend it because soundclick sux.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=122632BA613AF1FD

Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 am
Superhero

maybe its just on my compter the songs play slowly, if someone could listen to the piking excercise i uploaded above and see if it is the same speed as my soundclik that would be helpful.
or check the "just a girl" song because its got vocals and if its been slowed you can tell more easily.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=699417

Tue May 29, 2007 12:29 am
Godzilla

maybe its just on my compter the songs play slowly, if someone could listen to the piking excercise i uploaded above and see if it is the same speed as my soundclik that would be helpful.
or check the "just a girl" song because its got vocals and if its been slowed you can tell more easily.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=699417

I've listened to it all. 8) Nice technique! The No Doubt cover is very good.

Both that and your Soundclick picking demo cut out early, but there's no speed issue that I can hear. It's just your fastest stuff that's missing on Soundclick at the end of that alternate picking lick.

Wed May 30, 2007 7:05 pm
Superhero

Both that and your Soundclick picking demo cut out early

damn wtf is it doing that :evil:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:47 am
Godzilla

It would be really cool to see a video of Brono's way of picking. Not as proof because I already heard that lick in the past but to get more insight in the mechanics involved. I think there might be technical differences in the way people pick even if their max difference is only about 10-20 bpm. I recently thought about practising the way Paul used to pick (steve morse like grip) to get the right muscles moving and get back to the more regular position later. I think improving picking speed is a bit like the hill climbing principle where you might need to go down again in order to reach the highest top.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:37 am
is evil...Evil Joe

It would be really cool to see a video of Brono's way of picking. Not as proof because I already heard that lick in the past but to get more insight in the mechanics involved. I think there might be technical differences in the way people pick even if their max difference is only about 10-20 bpm. I recently thought about practising the way Paul used to pick (steve morse like grip) to get the right muscles moving and get back to the more regular position later. I think improving picking speed is a bit like the hill climbing principle where you might need to go down again in order to reach the highest top.

That's an interesting post... yeah i'd love to see a good close up vid of his picking technique too. I've been thinking seriously lately about completely changing the way i pick, and maybe practicing it more in the way Tony Macalpine picks.

I've been practicing alt picking for years now, i've possibly put more hours into just that than any human ever (i wish i was kidding :( )
A couple of important things i've noticed (that aren't already mentioned all over the net or in every instructional ever made) after all these years of praticing/studying picking motions are :

- That i now realise/think that for really accurate alt picking it's important to make sure you hold the pick facing directly in towards the strings, on a 90 degree angle to the strings (like Michael Angelo does)... i'm not talking about tilting the EDGE of the pick, i'm talking about the TIP. It's fine to tilt the edge of the pick sideways (eg. Shawn Lane pointed the front edge of his pick upwards, and Paul Gilbert points the front edge of his pick downwards)... i think that's fine and will help the pick "slice" through the string, rather than hit it head on with the flat edge. What i mean is to make sure the actual TIP of the pick is not pointing up towards your chest or down towards the floor... but make sure the TIP faces in towards the strings. I practiced for the last 7 or so years, all that time not realising till just a few months ago that i'd been pointing the pick on an extreme upward angle all along! No wonder progress was so slow. :evil:

- The other fault with my picking, that i also only just realised lately (and i think this could be the problem a lot of people face without realising it) is that i think you should make sure your picking "up/down" motions ARE actually UP/DOWN but perfectly parallel to the strings! I realise now the importance of actually practicing tremelo picking, making sure that your pick strokes are not "dipping/scooping/swinging" in towards the strings.
I only noticed recently that along with holding my pick pointing right upwards, whenever i do alternate picking or tremelo pick 1 note, every downstroke i do goes in towards the strings, and every upstroke i do goes out away from the strings.... which feels so unnatural and awkward! :evil:
So i suggest choosing a hand position and practicing tremelo picking in a way that allows you to make sure that even at full speed, the up/down motions of your pickstrokes are perfectly parralel to the strings.

WJ.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:11 am
Godzilla

I have noticed the key to very fast pickers is:

1. Their thumb never moves.

Actually, MAB's thumb does move.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:48 pm
Superhero

I use a combination of using my hand muscle grouping and my wrist.
i only use the finger muscles when im doing something really precise

And whyis this topic called "How fast can you play the classic Gilbertian Lick it?" :x tthats really bothering me and hurting my head.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Hork wrote:

That's an interesting post... yeah i'd love to see a good close up vid of his picking technique too. I've been thinking seriously lately about completely changing the way i pick, and maybe practicing it more in the way Tony Macalpine picks.

I've been practicing alt picking for years now, i've possibly put more hours into just that than any human ever (i wish i was kidding :( )
A couple of important things i've noticed (that aren't already mentioned all over the net or in every instructional ever made) after all these years of praticing/studying picking motions are :

- That i now realise/think that for really accurate alt picking it's important to make sure you hold the pick facing directly in towards the strings, on a 90 degree angle to the strings (like Michael Angelo does)... i'm not talking about tilting the EDGE of the pick, i'm talking about the TIP. It's fine to tilt the edge of the pick sideways (eg. Shawn Lane pointed the front edge of his pick upwards, and Paul Gilbert points the front edge of his pick downwards)... i think that's fine and will help the pick "slice" through the string, rather than hit it head on with the flat edge. What i mean is to make sure the actual TIP of the pick is not pointing up towards your chest or down towards the floor... but make sure the TIP faces in towards the strings. I practiced for the last 7 or so years, all that time not realising till just a few months ago that i'd been pointing the pick on an extreme upward angle all along! No wonder progress was so slow. :evil:

- The other fault with my picking, that i also only just realised lately (and i think this could be the problem a lot of people face without realising it) is that i think you should make sure your picking "up/down" motions ARE actually UP/DOWN but perfectly parallel to the strings! I realise now the importance of actually practicing tremelo picking, making sure that your pick strokes are not "dipping/scooping/swinging" in towards the strings.
I only noticed recently that along with holding my pick pointing right upwards, whenever i do alternate picking or tremelo pick 1 note, every downstroke i do goes in towards the strings, and every upstroke i do goes out away from the strings.... which feels so unnatural and awkward! :evil:
So i suggest choosing a hand position and practicing tremelo picking in a way that allows you to make sure that even at full speed, the up/down motions of your pickstrokes are perfectly parralel to the strings.

WJ.

And that is really interesting information. I used to look around on the ultimate guitar forums and I once downloaded a beefy amount of data on the speed of alternate pickers which was made by a certain willjay which must have been someone who is really interested in picking technique (and hey it's you :) ). I recognized the problems you described aswell some time ago but often fail to actually do something about it. I often get stuck in the strings when I try out new postitions for the pick and I am still amazed by how easily PG puts the pick in position again after tapping with his index finger. I came up with the idea of going for a totally different way of holding the pick for a while because it might enable me to teach myself the right motions from scratch without falling back into what feels familiar already. After that I might be able to control the differences between the two picking aproaches in a more conscious way. I like to think of it as buying a new set of strings instead of just the one that is broken but all this reasoning might just be wishfull thinking because I still can't pick for shit after practising it a lot. :cry:

BTW: Makes me crazy when people claim they where fast from the start (MAB) or didn't practise at all. (Yngwie)

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:09 pm
Superhero

MAB was fast from the start, but it took him years to develop his picking speed and accuracy.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I know, but it seems he had to spend is time mostly in developing synchronisation and going from string to string. Not just tremolo picking.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next