View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Need help in starting out. 
Viking Kong

Post Need help in starting out.
Hi everyone, what I basically need is a guitar to get me going (again), and I was hoping that you guys could help with some suggestions and recommendations. Here's what I need in basic form:

Electric Guitar
    Amp
    Carry Case
    Picks
Right, thats really basic, but I've looked at some of Ibanez's Jupmstart stuff. Is that useful? 'Cos it looks like it has what I need. So far I've looked at:

Also note I'm living in the UK. Those are off the American site, wonder if anyone ships or sells here. So are those two good, or is there anything else I can find for a reasonable price?

I give thanks in advance.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:11 pm
Viking Kong

What is your budget. If all you can afford is a jump start set than you won't have many choices. If you can spend more you have more options.

Also what kind of music do you want to play?

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:27 pm
Viking Kong

Well I'm pretty much playing rock and metal, nothing too flashy.

And my budget would probably be at a max. of roughly £200/$400 or something like that. I'm obviously going to get something better when I'm more finincially stable and actually have a job, but I just need something to practise with, but worth playing. I don't need huge or amazing amps, and flashy top of the line guitars. Yet.

Does that sum it up, or not? :?

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 pm
Viking Kong

In the UK they have different jumpstart packages than we have in the US.

Check the Ibanez models found in your country here http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

With your budget one of those may be your best bet.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Viking Kong

I took a glance at them but they didn't really get my attention that much...

I would like sometihng similar to an RG, and the IJX121 has a similar body, and i also found that it had a lot more for it's money in comparison to the GSA6J set...

Would it be useful to find a shipper to the UK then, I guess? :roll:

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:42 pm
God Of The Sun

Go to any of these,

www.gak.co.uk
www.merchantcitymusic.co.uk
www.dolphinmusic.co.uk

Good luck!

Paul

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:36 pm
Viking Kong

Would it be useful to find a shipper to the UK then, I guess? :roll:

The jump start pack will cost around $300 US. Add on international shipping and any taxes and customs fees for your country and it might not be worth the extra money.

Guitar trader has a black one and a silver one in stock. They ship internationally, but I don't know they will charge to ship it.
http://guitartrader.com/

One of the stores pgmpower listed has an ESP starter pack. It probably will be comparable to the Ibanez starter set and it is in your price range.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70035

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 am
Viking Kong

Guitar Trader tells me it's a $119 shipping rate, so thats a rough £150 with an added rought £50, making £200. The ESP pack suggestion is £199, and there's delivery fees on top of that.

It's pretty damn close. And the IJX121 still has more in it.

Ok, so £212.15 as opposed to £199 plus I don't know what amount.

I also find GRG170DX package for £199, looks cool, but still hasn't got as much as the IJX121.

Y'know I'm beginning to think that buying in Britain sucks.

Also found this GRX70 package, looks cool, and for much less, but also has a bit less.

Is it a good thing to be pulled to the IJX121? :?

It has a DVD with Paul Gilbert in it. :lol:

Also, thanks, to the both of you, for helping me out here, I'm still open to any suggestions.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:08 pm
Viking Kong

After customs fees and stuff the IJX package might end up costing £250-275. But if you really have your heart set on the IJX it may be worth it to you.

You are also going to need some kind of voltage converter with the IJX since in the US we use 120 volt outlets and you probably use 240.

It would probably be better to buy a starter set from a local shop so you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

The main differences between the IJX pack and the GRG.

The IJX has a 15 watt Ibanez amp. The GRG has a 10 watt Marshall. The IJX has dot inlays and a hardtail. The GRG has a trem and sharktooth inlays. The neck profile and the bodies should be the same. The IJX has a tuner and a DVD.

If you really want a hardtail guitar get the IJX. If you want a trem I would go with the GRG. In either case the the amp isn't going to be the greatest, but is better than nothing.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Viking Kong

You put up some good points, and I don't think the IJX is worth all that hassle. So the GRX70 is something I'll be looking at. And now I need it even sooner due to certain circumstances.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 pm
Dr. X

That ESP package from GAK.co.uk looks pretty good to me.

It looks the business (reverse headstock, \m/ ), it has a string-thru body (probably not a very good quality one, but what do you want for £200?), and has a pretty decent looking amp. It also has a tuner, which you WILL need if you want to be in a band, which it sounds like you will do?

Although my first choice would be that IJX121 (in silver, :wink: ), I agree that the delivery would be a total pain, so the ESP would probably be my choice.

However, I found this;

http://www.theibanezstore.com/oscommerc ... cts_id=338

Cheaper than the GRG, but the whole package doesn't look as good IMO.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 pm
Viking Kong

Yeah, I mentioned the GRX70, I see how it isn't as great. Can I ask, should I pull out of the Ibanez area? The ESP looks fine, I'm just looking for something that would work well, and quickly too, I have a competition thing going on in March with a few mates and others against other bands or groups.

So I have....

ESP M-10 Pack
Ibanez GRX70 Jumpstart
Ibanez GRG170DX Pack

...To be looking at.

Are Squier Strats or any of their copies worth looking at? I like the RG kind of shape, to be honest.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:19 pm
Viking Kong

Are Squier Strats or any of their copies worth looking at? I like the RG kind of shape, to be honest.

If you want to play metal you are better off with the ESP or Ibanez. The squier strat probably has 3 single coils. It will still get the job done, but I think the RG's or ESP will suit you better.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm
Viking Kong

Right, well then that's.... pretty much settled, you've given me links, and advice, thanks to all of you that helped out, I could probably get the right choice, feel free to make more suggestions, I won't be ordering them just yet.

I appreciate the help.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:41 pm
Dr. X

Dont get the ESP pack, they're made from agathis which doesnt compare to basswood/mahogany that Ibanez has on their starter pack. Most squires also uses agathis as body but there are some that uses alder, so look out carefully.

The IJX121/GRX20z/GRG170DX isnt bad at all. If you find the trem to be bothering, you can just block them. Of all these, i'd recommend the IJX40 or a yamaha pacifica 112J, they're both very versatile.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 am
Godzilla

don't get a starter pack find a cheap ibanez rg 270 on ebay and a peavey banditt 112. better than a starter set and prolly same price

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

an RG270 would give him tremendous hassle since it has the floyd system.

he's better off with a fixed/simple trem system for start i'd say.

the new ibanez starter (changed after summer NAMM06) includes a 15w instead of the normal 10s and its more than decent as a start, DVDs, books, etc etcs.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 am
Godzilla

you ca n have someone do what i did to mine ( a bolt system in teh back) to make it not really floating, only hassle would be puttin on strings.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

Nah, Floyds are WAY too much hassle for a beginner. I've been playing for 4 years now and I still think Floyds are the most irritating invention in history (despite the fact that I own one..... :lol: ).

To start off it's much better to go with a fixed bridge.

The IJX40 could be worth more of a look, as it's just a simple tremolo so it's not as complicated as a floating trem.
If you can get a good price on the IJX40 (I forget if there is one, there's so many links on this page now!), then that may be worth considering.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:41 am
Viking Kong

I would absoultely go for one of the IJXs if they were sold in the UK or didn't have all the shipping crap from the U.S.

Although just looking around now, I did just find something interesting, with free shipping too, here.
What do you make of that? GRX40JU in Black Night.
It still nags me that the IJX121 is a similar price... But all the way over an ocean :(

I continue my search, further more. I am ordering today.

So this is what I have interest in now:

GRX40 Jumpstart - £140 + Free Shipping
GRX70 Jumpstart - £139 + £6 shipping

With the GRX40, I have the ability to bundle it with other products at a discount. Though it's kinda stupid as the bundle has to include a guitar tuner. And I already have one in the jumpstart. So I'm still looking at the GRX40.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next