View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NEED HELP!!!! 
Godzilla

Post NEED HELP!!!!
Is there anyone out there that would be willing to get rid of a Peavey 5150 Slant 4x12? This thing has to be in perfect condition!!!!! Not only does it have to work perfectly, but it has to cosmetically look great! I would be willing to make someone an offer for one!

Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:19 am
Viking Kong

DAMN!!! I little too late bro... I traded one about 4 months ago for a Custom Kramer Telecaster (owned by Mick Mars) + $200 bucks...X :?

Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:38 pm
Godzilla

Thats alright man! I figure that there is probably tons of people out there that have that kind of cab!

The reason is that I am going stereo with my 5150 II! I talked to the man at Peavey that built and designed the 5150 amp!!!!! Acctually, he designed the XXX and the transtube series! The guy is a genius! His name is James Brown.(NO, NOT THE SINGER! LOL)

The man acctually gave me the same specs through E-mail on what he did to Eddies 5150 head for the VH Balance album! If I had the first 5150 I could turn it into the 5150 II, only on the lead channel! The 6th preamp in the 5150 II is only for the clean channel! Learned a lot from the man!

If you took a 5150 II, pulled the two end 6l6s, set the speaker to 8 ohm, and wired a 5150 4x12 to 2 speakers, you would have the combo!!!! The 5150 II and the 5150 combo have the exact same lead channels! Just one is half the power than the other!

Next I am going to get the Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp. James told me that the original 5150 was based off the Classic 50/50, which was built around the same time! Those 8 EL 84s in conjunction with the 5150 II has a lot to do with getting the tone that I am looking for!

All you Peavey XXX users should know that he did build into the amp the option of linking the Ultra and Crunch channel together!!!! It has to be done within the amp! I am in the process of finding out on how to do this!!!! The XXX prototype acctually had 8 power tubes! (6L6 and EL34s) To make it more affordable the just added the bias switch! Otherwise it would have been around $2,000 for the head!!!! Ouch Acctually, both sets of power tubes split it into two sides! One side was like a Soldano and the other was like a Classic Marshall! You could link both sides together in the back and have it split into stereo! George Lynch used to preamp the Soldano into the Marshall! I think he stole the idea from EVH! LOL When George Lynch left Peavey for Bogners Ubershall, Peavey redesigned the thing to what you see today!

Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:10 pm
Motorman

Could you possibly give me a translation of the above.

I'm having a hard time to follow you.

What I want to know is, how is EVH's 5150 different than stock 5150s.

Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:05 pm
Godzilla

What I want to know is, how is EVH's 5150 different than stock 5150s.

Eddies 5150s have been the 5150 IIs ever since the beginning of the recording of Balance! In 1994 James Brown from Peavey modified one of Eddies 5150 heads. The mod was done to the lead channel, which covered only about three parts changed in the preamp section. That modified 5150 became the basis for the combo and the 5150 II! It was the prototype!

I have the modification on paper hear at home! I was going to do it to an old 5150 head, but I didn't. I have the 5150 II and the combo. I don't need another 5150 that sounds the same!

To answer your question, the 5150s that Eddie uses is the 5150 IIs with no mods! The only mod that he had done was in 1994 when he was recoding Balance! That mod became the 5150 II!!!!

Hear is a small list of what he is using:

5150 modded (Basically a 5150 II Prototype!)
2 5150 4x12s (wet)
Eventide Harmonizer H3000 (Set to a mild pitchshift in stereo)
Roland Digital Delay (for reverb and delay)
Rockman Noise Gate (Plugged into the effects loop of the 5150)
Stereo Power Amp (Peavey Classic 50/50 can do the job great for this)
Load Box (I am going to use a THD Hotplate. A load box/ attenuator is used between the head and cabs as a master volume. Eddie kept his post gain and pre gain on the 5150s the same: 6.5 - 7. That is why his sound is really clean!!!!)
Peavey Wolfgang (His guitars are a little different! I believe the body is swamp ash and Flame Maple. His pickups are taken out of the guitar and dipped in some kind of wax. I believe Eddie did this with all of his guitars!!!!)
Magic Marshall (Used for all of the clean sounds. Used on every Van Halen album!)

The above setup is what I am building, with the exception of the Roland unit! (I use a T.C. Electronics G Major for delay and reverb) I have stock Wolfgangs too, and a 1978 Marshall 2203!

Just remember, the finished product of Eddies sound is done through the sound board using very expensive studio gear and techniques that most of us wouldn't even begin to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His live sound is very much achievable with the above list of gear!

Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:43 pm
Godzilla

Anyone have a 5150 4x12 they want to get rid of?

Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]