View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 PAUL'S EQUIPMENT! (new members click here) UPDATED 17/05/08! 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: PAUL'S EQUIPMENT! (new members click here) UPDATED 17/05
The Get Out of My Yard DVD is mostly him playing at low volume in a small room. I realize this was probably necessary for making an instructional DVD but the sound doesn't even approach the cranked Lee Jackson modded Marshall on Street Lethal.

Anyway, the biggest difference between PG pre-Mr. Big and post Mr. Big is that he used a lot more gain before joining Mr. Big and he's never really gone back to using a lot of gain like in the early days. Some of you here probably like the cleaner, less saturated sound. It may be a generational thing; I'm forty. But I greatly prefer the high gain sound.

Also Street Lethal and Second Heat sound very different. On Second Heat I think he had started using the ADA MP1. The Lee Jackson sounds much better. I still have a Lee Jackson Perfect Connection preamp from way back when and it smokes the ADA... although the ADA is more versatile.

Another big change besides the tone is that Paul Gilbert was initially far more influenced by the whole Yngwie thing. Later on he rediscovered Pat Travers. It was a rediscovery I wish he had not made. It's not that Pat Travers isn't good but I think it's a step backwards for someone with the skills of a Paul Gilbert.

I recently went and listened to some of those Mr. Big albums that I had missed because I basically quit listening to Paul when he joined Mr. Big. I listened and remembered why I quit listening. He went from being a monster to trying to play tasty parts. I'm sure some producer had something to do with that. I'm sure he made some money with Mr. Big but it just was not my cup of tea at all. I did catch him when they opened for Rush on the second show of the Presto tour. It was kind of cool... Paul Gilbert was about ten feet in front of me, but it was also kind of disappointing because I knew a lot of the crowd was hearing him for the first time and it just seemed like they were not getting an accurate picture at all. Anyway, I'm glad to see him playing again with Racer X.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 am
Superhero

Anyone who can identify the picks/strings he's using on the IR1 intro gets free cookies. I searched, but couldn't find anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlSWK8_F-U

Pepperidge Farm. Mint Milanos.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:57 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I think he was using D'Angelico 10's and carpet sharpened Fender Xtra Heavy Picks...but I could be wrong.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm
God Of The Sun

noztnac wrote:
I think he was using D'Angelico 10's and carpet sharpened Fender Xtra Heavy Picks...but I could be wrong.

you're right about D'angelico's but I'm not sure on the picks. you could be right tho

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I met Paul Gilbert at a clinic in Columbia South Carolina in 1988. I played a little bit for him and asked him for advice. He laughed and said that he used to hold the pick the same way as me but that he changed because it made palm muting easier. He even said that he was changing while playing with Racer X and that it was frustrating and that sometimes he'd shift to the old way of holding the pick right in the middle of a song. He told me that if I decided to change it would be difficult but to keep at it and it would come. He gave me one of his signature picks. It was white and a good bit heavier than what his new signature picks are. It was almost exactly the same thickness as the Fender xtra heavy I was using at the time but it was filed to a point. And the point was not gradual like the new ones either. It was a very distinctive v shape. I came home and immediately started filing all of my picks like that. It was slow so I went to use my dad's belt sander to speed up the process. That's when I found out Fender picks are flammable. Hahahaha

Anyway, Paul was extremely cool and very down to earth and helpful.
A few months later I caught Tony Macalpine at the same music store. He was also a very nice guy.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:35 pm
Superhero

noztnac wrote:
I met Paul Gilbert at a clinic in Columbia South Carolina in 1988. I played a little bit for him and asked him for advice. He laughed and said that he used to hold the pick the same way as me but that he changed because it made palm muting easier. He even said that he was changing while playing with Racer X and that it was frustrating and that sometimes he'd shift to the old way of holding the pick right in the middle of a song. He told me that if I decided to change it would be difficult but to keep at it and it would come. He gave me one of his signature picks. It was white and a good bit heavier than what his new signature picks are. It was almost exactly the same thickness as the Fender xtra heavy I was using at the time but it was filed to a point. And the point was not gradual like the new ones either. It was a very distinctive v shape. I came home and immediately started filing all of my picks like that. It was slow so I went to use my dad's belt sander to speed up the process. That's when I found out Fender picks are flammable. Hahahaha

Anyway, Paul was extremely cool and very down to earth and helpful.
A few months later I caught Tony Macalpine at the same music store. He was also a very nice guy.

Hummm. Sounds like the pick in the vid. Was/is it 2mm thick? 1mm? Cool info!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm
Superhero

No edit feature.

You mean like this? The fender heavies.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=110515

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 pm
Viking Kong

Credit: "http://1484blog.jp/sannomiya/2010/07/13/あの人の、足元が気になってた方には必見です!/"

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
YES!!!!

GET ME THAT FUZZ UNIVERSE!!!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

I fucked up, I said i think the GOOMY vid is my fav tone but I really think the Intense Rock tone is by far the best of Paul's, I dont know how to get it though I think less distortion will help and a Tone Zone too, also I think a sharp pick delivers that sound.. idk if I'm right though...

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:29 am
Dr. X

anyone know what effect the fuzz universe pedal is? I know he said its 2 effects from majik box in one pedal. I think one might be the octave sound from Propeller?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 pm
Viking Kong

drpez12 wrote:
anyone know what effect the fuzz universe pedal is? I know he said its 2 effects from majik box in one pedal. I think one might be the octave sound from Propeller?

Majik Box makes overdrive/distortion, and boost pedals. They don't have an octave pedal in their current lineup.

Looking at the knobs on the FU pedal i would guess it might be a combo of the body blow pedal and venom boost. Its got drive and tone knobs like the body blow. I would guess the thrust controls are the output level knobs.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
drpez12 wrote:

if i had to guess (just from the picture) it's two different voicings of fuzz/overdrive. the "Thrust" control seems to be like a gain control, who knows.

I guess we'll hear some more in the coming months.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

The octave sound in Propellor is from a HBE U.F.O.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

can anyone tell me what did Paul use for Olympic 5:00 - 5:16 ? Especially 5:12-5:16.
Thanks a lot!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm
Dr. X

Gr3y wrote:
can anyone tell me what did Paul use for Olympic 5:00 - 5:16 ? Especially 5:12-5:16.
Thanks a lot!

Im pretty sure thats the same octave effect as the one in Propeller. Check previous post. H.B.E. UFO.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 pm
Dr. X

and he played a note that exceeded the 24th fret by using that efx.. dang... now you can't cover it if you don't have any pitch shifting device and to spice it up, i just sold my digitech whammy..

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:12 pm
Dr. X

drpez12 wrote:
Gr3y wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Im pretty sure thats the same octave effect as the one in Propeller. Check previous post. H.B.E. UFO.

Thanks btw! :)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:12 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Awesome thread!

Theres a new video by Paul on You tube just added yesterday promoting his forthcoming European tour.

Cant see the Airplane Flanger in his new board though

Just Tuner, Delay, Detox EQ, Fuzz Universe and Phase 90 and power supply

Ordered me a Detox Eq and hopefully getting an Airplane soon and then the Majikbox.

Does anyone have very recent pics of Pauls 2010 board?

And also why is Pauls board always back to front in terms of signal path?

www.studiotdlarchitects.co.uk

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

I don't see his phase90 or af2.

I would guess with those added that this would be his pedal board for the tour...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next