View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Pickup Question 
Superhero

Post Pickup Question
Since no one was able to give me any info in my previous post:
http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1030

I'll try this again. Since that first question failed i'll narrow it down to just pickups. Once again I have a Schecter 006 Elite with the stock pickups. Should I replace them or do you guys think these are good? If replacing them would be good, what shoudl i replace them with?

My Pickps are Duncan Design Pickups (single-coil in neck, humbucker in bridge)

Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:37 am
God Of The Sun

It really depends on the sound you are looking for? A heavier sound? Higher output?

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:08 am
Superhero

Well if you look at the link above I talked about the sound I wanted. But basically I want many things. I want stuff that is heavy. Also want screaming sound (not sure how to describe it) that Gilbert gets. Now I do not know if those are actually close to eachother or not. But I also play a lot of punk. So I want something good for lots of palm muting.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:29 am
God Of The Sun

DiMarzio Tone Zone. Period. PAF Pro would go nicely too. (that's what I've got on my guitar, and IMO I think I've got a great variety of tones.) ;D

Tone Zone in the Bridge and PAF Pro in the neck, by the way.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:04 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

I have not been to excited about Duncan Designed pick ups. Real Duncans are groovy but I am a Dimarzio man! In the bridge I would put a DiMarzio SUPER DISTORTION, PG uses one all the time. Lots of power but still versatile. In the neck I would put a DiMarzio Pro-Track, this is a Paf-pro in single coil size. It has a great soundand plenty of power to match a high power bridge pick up. Check out the DiMarzio web site for all the details. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:07 am
Superhero

Someone told me to try the Duncan Distortion, Sh-6 i believe. Any opinions on that? Or is DiMarzio king?

Also I just looked at the tone-zone and it said it was made for a warm jazzy sound. I am more interested in heavy and punk stuff.

What is the PAF pro? is that another from DiMarzio?

How about a humbucker from hell in the neck?

Last edited by Wilsman00 on Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:11 am
Dr. X

The Duncan Distortion is a monster of a pick up! My best buddy Shredacuda(Andy) swears by that pick up. It is also the pick up that PG used alot during the late 80's. Huge bottom end. Great pick up, you would not be unhappy with it.(Duncans are great I just gravitate towards DiMarzio).
I know that the d.desinged pick ups are modeled after other "real" duncan and the S. Duncan web site has a cross over chart, check that out.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:20 am
Superhero

Would these pickups honestly be hindered or waisted in my $500 guitar?

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:25 am
Motorman

Also I just looked at the tone-zone and it said it was made for a warm jazzy sound.

quote]

:shock:

Because the lows, mids, and highs are all boosted, using a Tone Zone feels like cranking up an extra set of tone controls. It adds further dimension to the sound of your amp - that elusive edge that can make a good-sounding rig into a great-sounding one. Notes seem to get bigger after they're picked, and burn hard as they sustain.

The Tone Zone has the right stuff to wake up your amp. Its ballsy, aggressive tone has plenty of drive in all the right frequencies, abundant gain to push preamps and power amps, and sensitivity to pick attack that gets the most out of any style from Metal to Blues. The Tone Zone is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup. <-- www.dimarzio.com

I think The Tone Zone is not a pickup for a jazzy sound....

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:02 am
Profile ICQ
Superhero

Another question...does anyone like anything besides DiMarzio? So far everyone says to buy those. Is it because they are the best? Or because this is a Racer X forum and Gilbert uses them? What other company's should I look into?

Common people, there is a sea of knowledge in this forum, someone here has to know a ton on the subject.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:50 pm
Motorman

Someone told me to try the Duncan Distortion, Sh-6 i believe. Any opinions on that? Or is DiMarzio king?

Also I just looked at the tone-zone and it said it was made for a warm jazzy sound. I am more interested in heavy and punk stuff.

What is the PAF pro? is that another from DiMarzio?

How about a humbucker from hell in the neck?

The Humbucker from Hell sounds sweet in neck position....but not for punk music or something like that...it´s no high-gain pickup.....sounds just more like a single coil but a little bit warmer and fatter.If you want the screaming sound of Paul Gilbert then do it like Street Lethal did.....PAF Pro in neck and Tone Zone in bridge position......or maybe dual Tone Zones???

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:04 pm
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

Personally, from DiMarzio, I like the Breed pickup and the Air Classic, though I don't know if that would accomplish exactly what you are after. The Breed is higher output than the Air Classic, but both have a high degree of flexibility and character, IMHO.

From Seymour Duncan, I like the ol' standby (the JB), and the Screamin' Demon which, despite the fact that it's a Lynch thing, is really more of a mid-output pickup. My least favorite SD has got to be the Invader. To my ears, it is one dimensional and harsh.

Outside of those, the Bill Lawrence L500 (came in the Nuno model Washburns) was great. Really cool tone and well-balanced.

Another thing you could try is calling the pickup companies you are most interested in and describing exactly what you want. I've called both DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan a number of times, and only once did I have a challenge getting an answer to a question. Other than that, I found their technical staff helpful and informed.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Thanks for the help guys I REALLY appreciate it. I was thinking the humbucker from hell(neck) and the super distortion(bridge) might be a good combo because I would use the distortion for most of the stuff, mostly the punk. And the humbucker from hell for solo licks like gilbert does (eventually). Would that be a good combo? Or am i really missing out by not having a tone zone?

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:26 pm
Motorman

Thanks for the help guys I REALLY appreciate it. I was thinking the humbucker from hell(neck) and the super distortion(bridge) might be a good combo because I would use the distortion for most of the stuff, mostly the punk. And the humbucker from hell for solo licks like gilbert does (eventually). Would that be a good combo? Or am i really missing out by not having a tone zone?

I think The Super Distortion would be a good choice for your heavy and punk stuff.......i personally like the Humbucker from Hell for soloing because of the warm sound i get out of it...it´s in my PGM 500....Paul uses the Humbucker from Hell on B.R.O......check it out if you like....

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:44 pm
Profile ICQ
Superhero

I think The Super Distortion would be a good choice for your heavy and punk stuff.......i personally like the Humbucker from Hell for soloing because of the warm sound i get out of it...it´s in my PGM 500....Paul uses the Humbucker from Hell on B.R.O......check it out if you like....

Thanks for the help! For sure I know that I want a pickup with heavy distortion in the bridge. The DiMarzio seems like it can do the job (if anyone knows a better one tell me). But the neck is a tossup right now. Some people like the Tone Zone, some like the Humbucker from Hell. I heard B.R.O and that sounded cool.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 pm
Motorman

Paul used the Super Distortion on "Be my Wife".....for example....in the neck position you should use the Humbucker from Hell or a PAF Pro...that´s my recommendation...i use a PAF Pro in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge position in my RG...great combo...*thumbs up*......I don´t really know how a Tone Zone sounds in the neck position.....

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Superhero

After talking to Pable Gilberto for a long time I have a new idea about the pickups but still need your opinions.

-Leaning towards a Tone Zone in the bridge, maybe the duncan distortion, any opinions on that?

-neck still up in the air, humbucker from hell?? or a duncan hot rail?

Any other opinions not mentioned yet?

Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:35 am
God Of The Sun

UPDATE:

After talking to Pable Gilberto for a long time I have a new idea about the pickups but still need your opinions.

-Leaning towards a Tone Zone in the bridge, maybe the duncan distortion, any opinions on that?

-neck still up in the air, humbucker from hell?? or a duncan hot rail?

Any other opinions not mentioned yet?

Go with the tone zone in the bridge.

A hot rail in the neck will sound very punk.

Imma put an air norton in the neck of Universe and something with a tight defined sound in the bridge. Tone zones are not for me. Too smooth.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]