View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Top Ten Fastest shredder list (Guitar One) 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Top Ten Fastest shredder list (Guitar One)
I don't know if anyone already posted this, or saw it, but here's the fastest shredder list from the new issue of Guitar On:
TOP TEN FASTEST SHREDDERS OF ALL TIME:
10. The Great Kat
9. John Petrucci
8. Buckethead
7. Rusty Cooley
6. Joe Stump
5. Shawn Lane
4. PAUL GILBERT
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
2. Chris Impellitteri
1. Michael Angelo
I agree with 1-7 (maybe not the order though) :twisted:

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:06 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

i really dont like impelliteri or Michael Angelo. Of course, PG is my favorite, and I like Yngwie okay. I have honestly never heard of the Great Kat. I have one question though, where the heck is Jason Becker? [/b]

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:16 am
Godzilla

Micheal Angelo sounds like dial-up internet. 8)

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:30 am
is evil...Evil Joe

i really dont like impelliteri or Michael Angelo. Of course, PG is my favorite, and I like Yngwie okay. I have honestly never heard of the Great Kat. I have one question though, where the heck is Jason Becker? [/b]

I love Impellitteri, but have yet to get into Angelo. The great Kat is awful. She's this Juliard trained violinist that thinks she can play guitar, although she's horrible. She just plays straight up classical works, but poorly. She definately should not be on the list. (Sorry to anyone who likes her). Instead, they should have but on George Bellas or someone like that.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

How about Al Di Meola?? I know he's not a shredder but he can play amazingly fast, especially on an acoustic.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:56 am
God Of The Sun

Man, if marshall harrison isnt on there then its bogus

j/k

the great kat sux(god awful)

Stump is faster than yngwie

The list is good but the order is crap.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

The (not so) Great Kat is a bit of a joke, very sloppy sounds like any person who clones Yngwie but poorly (like Stump, but he's a much better xerox)
Jason Becker should have definately been listed, and Paul I think is a bit faster than Yngwie (not saying better).

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:16 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

The (not so) Great Kat is a bit of a joke, very sloppy sounds like any person who clones Yngwie but poorly (like Stump, but he's a much better xerox)
Jason Becker should have definately been listed, and Paul I think is a bit faster than Yngwie (not saying better).

WOAH WOAH WOAH THER BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know Joe Stump. I know him pretty well. I know his life story pretty damned good. He's one of my idols. He is NOT a yngwie clone. He and Yngwie have been around the same amount of time, just because yngwie is more popular that does not make Joe a clone. Joe's technique and style are quite different form Yngwie's. Joe is very Rock/Blues based where as Yngwie is more classical type of player. Just because Joes likes the same gear yngwie does it dosent make him a poser either. How many freaking Les Paul/Marshall/Blues players have been around. Nobody calls those guys clones. How many Strat/Fender/blues guys are out there, Nobody calls those guys clones man. just because 2 guys play in the same genre of music does not make either one a clone. I think you have under analyzed both Joe and Yngwie's styles.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Last edited by zblsw on Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:49 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Crakula wrote:

I know Joe Stump. I know him pretty well. I know his life story pretty damned good. He's one of my idols. He is NOT a yngwie clone. He and Yngwie have been around the same amount of time, just because yngwie is more popular that does not make Joe a clone. Joe's technique and style are quite different form Yngwie's. Joe is very Rock/Blues based where as Yngwie is more classical type of player. Just because Joes likes the same gear yngwie does it dosent make him a poser either. How many freaking Les Paul/Marshall/Blues players have been around. Nobody calls those guys clones. How many Strat/Fender/blues guys are out there, Nobody calls those guys clones man. just because 2 guys play in the same genre of music does not make either one a clone. I think you have under analyzed both Joe and Yngwie's styles.

Well said, DR. ;D

Okay, as for that list. It's mostly BS. Becker should have, without a doubt been on that list. The fact that he isn't on there pisses me off. Period. Oh well, it's Guitar One in 2003, whaddaya expect. :: Sigh ::

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:01 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Well. for a mainstream guitar mag, thats a kick ass list really.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

Michael Angelo's No Boundries CD is in my car CD player right now. I like it. I seem to be the only one. He overdoes the speed thing a bit, but he can play with feeling and write some decent songs. I think a lot of people who bash him have never heard much of his stuff.

... and Joe Stump = very cool

Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:27 am
God Of The Sun

Finally. Someone who thinks stumpy is cool(besides me)

Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

Man you guys know so much about these guitar players! And some of you even know them personally. I am a little guppy in a lake a big mouth bass...hmm I like that analagy. :twisted:

Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:44 am
Motorman

gsuing wrote:

Finally. Someone who thinks stumpy is cool(besides me)

I found out about the Berklee book "Classical Studies for Pick-Style Guitar" because of a Joe Stump interview (maybe from his website). I play out of that book every day.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:23 am
Promises to use Search button

that guy can play insanley fast!!!
im not all about speed but i must say that he is FAST!!!

also becker should have been on that list and derek taylor!!!!
that guys left hand is simply astounding...
he was the 1st in my book to bring light to that crazy pentatonic string skipping/2 finger tap technique...
and scott mishoe....
forget-ah-bout-it.....

WAXXXXxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:14 am
Superhero

Crakula wrote:

u got that CD with the dragon with a guitar on the cover? that cover kicks a major ass, the songs kick ass too

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:52 pm
Profile ICQ

He and Yngwie have been around the same amount of time, just because yngwie is more popular that does not make Joe a clone.

I like Joe too, but I don't see how you can say they've both been around for the same amount of time. Joe's first CD wasn't released until 1993. As far as playing styles go, they are very different. Joe has always struck me as a heavy rock guitarist who plays some neoclassical licks. I think the "Yngwie clone" thing come more from Joe's appearance. If you've ever seen the inside of the "Night Of The Living Shred" cd. Joe's dressed in all black, with lots of jewelry, Yngwie sunglasses, and a Yngwie Strat. As far as whose faster, I'd have to say Yngwie. Probably because, unlike Joe, he's always playing the same licks over and over. But Joe's a cool guy, and a great teacher. His new Berklee instructional dvd is great.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:25 pm
Godzilla

First off, I'm new here. So, HEY EVERYONE!

Joe Stump might not have been released as long as Yngwie, but they developed their styles in tandem -- they can sound similar because they have many of the same influences (Blackmore, Paganini, etc). For my money, Stump blows away Yngwie any day (but I still love Yngwie!). I agree Bellas should have been on there -- I didn't really appreciate his style until I immersed myself in his recordings and started taking his instructional series.

And although Michael Angelo Batio might sound a bit uninspired, he is like a friggin machine -- an extremely fast, ambidextrous, machine. If he ain't the fastest, he is at least top 3.

Never heard of that Kat gal -- I think Becker or Friedman should have been in her place, but again I haven't heard her.

Shred on.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:36 pm

Joe Stump might not have been released as long as Yngwie, but they developed their styles in tandem -- they can sound similar because they have many of the same influences (Blackmore, Paganini, etc).

Not exactly. Joe freely admits to learning licks off of "No Parole From Rock 'n Roll" (Yngwie's 1st album with Alcatrazz), and has always acknowledged Yngwie as an influence. Don't get me wrong, Joe is a great player who does his own thing. But to say that Joe developed his style without being influenced by Yngwie is just wrong. And Joe will be the first to tell you that.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next