View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Big 5150 disscussion!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Godzilla

Post Big 5150 disscussion!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right now I am in the process of fixing up all of the amps that I have! I am trying to get the best sound out of them that I can!!! I found some great tubes that I feel are better than most tubes out there. They are the JJ Telsa tubes! You guys can check them out at www.eurotubes.com

Something that has always bugged me is my 5150 amps! Every famous musician; including Eddie Van Halen, that have ever used them has been able to make them sound absolutly killer! Most of the local musicians around here; including myself, have not been able to get those great tones out of them. This has always bugged the living shit out of me!!!! The guy at eurotubes has done a lot of great things with these amps. He has some really wild 5150ex amp that he built. I called him one day and asked him how I can get a really great tone out of my 5150 II or even and old 5150 head! After talking to a couple of techs after him, I realized I was getting the same answer. The amps are shipped from the factory biased cold with shitty flat sounding tubes!!!!!!!! This causes the 6l6s to go into a sick sounding crossover distortion. That is why they are so muddy and masking to your tone! The 5150 combos are not though! They sound really killer! That is what I wanted out of my old 5150 head that I was dumb enough to sell! I wanted that clear, punchy, heavey, clear distortion that the combo has!!!! Other than biasing it correctly, the guy at Eurotubes said that a set of balanced set of JJ tubes(Pre amp and Power amp tubes) will also and to that clearity!

So my plan is to get rid of my 5150 II and get an original 5150 head(the one with the block letters EVH) and get the bias job done to it! I can't believe that I didn't realize this before!!!!!!!!!!! The original 5150s acctually had more bass and were a lot more punchy than the 5150 IIs! I have been told that the 5150 IIs will never have the bass that the 5150s have! Has something to do with the extra preamp tube!

Has anyone tried anything like this with the 5150s?

Has anyone bought JJs before? I just bought a quad of E34Ls and 3 ECC83S tubes from Eurotubes for my 1978 Marshall 2203! E34Ls have 20% more headroom than EL34s! I can't wait to get the Mashall rebiased for them!

Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:04 pm
God Of The Sun

Well dude my guitar teacher(former) is selling his 5151 so i got a chance to play it. SOunded great but it wasnt what imma lookin fo. Im bout do rop cash on a carvin MTS head. And in reference to tubes , what kind of tubes would give me a modern tight thick sound like a triple recty? i have no idea about tubes.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

I hear you about the 5150's...sort of stale. I, too, went throught the same issues as you....only with my Legacy. I spoke to Eurotubes...took his advice...dropped in somee JJ's (E34L's and ECC83S's) and I love it now! Yes, a very noticable difference. Clarity and a full spectrum of sound.

I wouldn't hesitate if I was you ;-)

Roman...the MTS rocks!!

Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Dr. X

I just started using 5150's again about a month ago. I A/B between my Laney. I love it. It has stock tubes and it sounds great. No staleness at all. I mainly use the Clean channel cranked over the Red channel but any which way, I love it! Try new tubes though, you never know. I could have got lucky with mine.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I have always thought that the EVH tone on F.U.C.K. and Balance kicked ass!!!! Listen to the double live album!!!! I acctually need to get an original 5150 head! sometime when I get the money I will try to pick one of the old ones up! I am only looking at spending about $450-$500!!!!! The bias mod will probably might cost a little though! I am going to get a THD hotplate so I can use the master volume as another source of shaping the tone of the amp!

Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:05 am
Godzilla

I hear you about the 5150's...sort of stale. I, too, went throught the same issues as you....only with my Legacy. I spoke to Eurotubes...took his advice...dropped in somee JJ's (E34L's and ECC83S's) and I love it now! Yes, a very noticable difference. Clarity and a full spectrum of sound.

I wouldn't hesitate if I was you ;-)

Roman...the MTS rocks!!

Those are the same tubes that I picked up for my Marshall! I am really curious what that 5150ex sounds like!!!! That is a crazy tube set up, 2 E34Ls and 2 KT88s, plus the bias mod!!!! Talk about high head room!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:10 am
is the Siren's Eye

Just a plug for Eurotubes - I went out there to see him about 6 months ago (he's out here in portland OR) to have him retube and tune up my Mesa Boogie TriAxis and 50/50. Night and day difference from my old groove tubes - my rig sounds even more killer than I had hoped for. I also played through one of his modified 5150's - that thing had some SERIOUS balls. A friend of mine has a stock 5150 and I've always hated the sound of it - reminds me of a chainsaw. But this modified 5150 sounded totally different, less saturated, more low end. I think he said he modified it from EL34's to use 6L6's or something like that. Anyway, his 5150 looked cool too - snakeskin covering and 2 analog VU meters mounted to the faceplate (don't recall what they were monitoring).

Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:38 am
Godzilla

Just a plug for Eurotubes - I went out there to see him about 6 months ago (he's out here in portland OR) to have him retube and tune up my Mesa Boogie TriAxis and 50/50. Night and day difference from my old groove tubes - my rig sounds even more killer than I had hoped for. I also played through one of his modified 5150's - that thing had some SERIOUS balls. A friend of mine has a stock 5150 and I've always hated the sound of it - reminds me of a chainsaw. But this modified 5150 sounded totally different, less saturated, more low end. I think he said he modified it from EL34's to use 6L6's or something like that. Anyway, his 5150 looked cool too - snakeskin covering and 2 analog VU meters mounted to the faceplate (don't recall what they were monitoring).

I don't think that I want to go as extreme as the 5150ex!!!! It looks cool though! I just want to get a great set of JJ 6L6s and ECC83s in there, and have them biased warmer to where they should be! The whole crossover distortion sounds like crap!!!!!

Those meter are probably to show if the damn thing is ready to blow up!

Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:33 pm
Godzilla

It has stock tubes and it sounds great. No staleness at all.

Dude, compared to the sound that EVH, hell even Ted Nugent sound, the stock tubes sound pretty lame! That is unless they are biased warm like they should be!

I really have no clue why they bias the 5150 and the 5150 II heads cold, but have the combo biased warm!? All my combo needs is some JJs and it will really rock! That is the sound that the heads are supposed to have!!!!!!!!!!!! Except the 5150 II. It is a whole different amp!

Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:37 am
Dr. X

My Amp has had a little work done to it by a buddy of mine but nothing major. All in all its pretty stock. I am using Genz-Benz cabs instead of those crap 5150 cabs too. That helps. Some people play different on some amps then others to. I've heard people make Line 6 amps sound great and when I play 'em they sound dead (Some here know my stand with Line 6 products too). I dunno, I like my 5150's. Thats all I know. All of the gear talk I leave to the guy who fixes my stuff. I'm not too hip on Amp talk. As long as my stuff works every night and it sounds good I'm happy!

Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:18 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

5150s are really good for the money, however, they are Peavey. If you really want to get that EVH "5150" tone, get a Soldano. I have heard that Eddie doesn't even use the 5150s in the studio, just Soldanos. However, you could get 5 5150s for the price of 1 SLO-100 (haha).

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I played on m y 5150 II yesterday and I think that I am going to try the rebiasing on it before I get one of the old ones! It my have a different tone that I might like better! Of course, the 5150 has one hell of a tone! I know someone that just had both his 5150 and his 5150 II heads rebiased with new tubes! I think they were just Ruby tubes. This dude slaves both heads together since the first 5150 has a high and a low input jack! I bet it sounds killer to!!!!!!!

I think that my favorite amp (Especially 80s shred and new metal) would be my Peavey XXX! The guy at Eurotubes told me that he has had a lot of people buy the E34Ls to put in them! No rebiasing required, just switch the bias switch to EL34! (The EL34s and the E34Ls are pretty much the same thing. Except the E34Ls have 20% more headroom than the EL34s!) I have heard a soundclip of someone playing Rock You Like a Hurricane with the E34Ls and it sounded killer!!!! Really came close to a Marshall JCM 800 with more gain!!!!!! Way more gain!!!!!!! I may try this just to see how it sounds up close!!!

Of course my 1978 Marshall 2203 MV is the JCM 800 sound, but with a warmer tone!!!! I can't wait to get the E34Ls in it and have this shitty preamp mod undone!!!! After that it should sound like something off of Def Leppards Pyromania, or Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest, or just about any metal band from the early 80s!

Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:09 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

both 5150s and JJ tubes are the shit. I have a few rigs i use.. i have a pod pro through a mesa 2:90, i also use an ada mp-1 through the 2:90, i have a laney gh50L, and a 5150. I had a box letter and a sig, and i thought the box letter sounded way better, but i said fuck that to rebiasing everytime i wanted to change tubes.. so i sold it and kept the sig. THe sig has all JJ tubes in it... i gotta say, that thing sounds fucking KILLER.. i love when you are playing 64th notes, and each note has that fat chunk.. like in the street lethal solo.. in fact, i have an old early 80s all mahogany neck through USA mockingbird, with the stock old dimarzios.. and when i play it through the 5150 in to a marshall 2x12 with the 75 watt g12's, for some reason it sounds almost exactly like old Racer X tone like off of Street Lethal and Second Heat.. between the pod pro/2:90, laney gh50, and the 5150, im more than covered.. i want to get a triaxis again though, i had one for a while, and like a dumbass i sold it.. that thing was absolutely insane.. the best all around amp ive ever heard... used to also have a dual rec tremoverb ----- not great.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Right now my main rig consists of my Peavey XXX head w/ a 5150 4x12, my Marshall 1978 100w 2203(Need a 4x12 for this one), my 2 Peavey Wolfgangs, Peavey 5150 II, Peavey 5150 combo, and my Ibanez PGM 30. My main amps are my XXX and 2203!!!!

My goal is to someday get EVHs modern tone! That includes the pitch shift and everything!!!! I may even do it in stereo w/ 2 5150 Cabs. One head would run into a THD Hotplate, and all of the effects would run into the line out of the Hotplate! The reason for the hotplate would be so that I could vrank the Post Gain on the 5150 to 7, just like the Pre Gain! This mixes both the Pre and Post gain distortions!

All of this is just a sideline from my main rig. This is something that I have always wanted to do!

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:16 pm
Motorman

i just picked up a 5150 combo a few months ago. I love it. Killer sound. I think it's completely stalk. I used Ruby tubes in my Laney and the amp sounds basically the same, the Rubys are a bit more gainy...

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]